STEM

Is a STEM career the only career path where college becomes worth the cost or is STEM just a meme?

I don't know user, you tell me. Which career looks more aligned with self driving cars, self service machines, and auto landing rockets?

STEM + Chad = God
STEM + autismo = gainfully employed

In thirld world (Africa, Cambodia...) or less developed countries (Mexico, Brazil, USA, China, Russia...) just go for STEM. If you're in Western or Northern Europe/Canada/Australia/Japan go for what you like.

so the only reason people on this form jerk off over stem is because it's the only areas where you can be an autist and still have a decent job?

STEM is a meme, have fun wasting 100k on college to be a wageslave for the rest of your life

partially, also because technology is what drives the world and math and science allow you to create better tech and also use that tech

>ywn be chad mcchaddington, CEO with an MBA from Wharton
>chad never works a day in his life and bangs supermodels while firing your dumb ass

>Going STEM in Russia
This comment is on par "kys".

every degree is worthless if you don't have family or friends willing to give you a job

>less developed (USA)

wew, almost caught me with that bait

>ywn be frank gunderson, CEO with an MBA from Hardvard
>frank never has a day off and has stress-related impotency

college costed me less than 5k and I make 6 digits now

don't want to do STEM?
get a degree in gender studies and see how it works out for ya

I'm doing Finance and I have pretty good prospects waiting for me when I'm finished solely from socializing

what degree?

why do people think that senior executives don't do work? they've no free time and are all on a cocktail of anti-anxiety/attention drugs, mixed with various sleep aids and laxatives

STEM's real lure is benefits and job security, also working for something that matters is nice as opposed to some jobs that don't make the world a better place in any quantifiable manner.

It isn't the highest salary cap field.

True words have never been spoke OP. This is coming from a mechanical engineer.

It would work out better than you think. 10% the effort, 90% the pay. Most STEM professions are very underpaid when you consider how much harder they are and how much more skilled you need to be.

it'll work out just fine, get a government HR job extracting resources from the real economy, 20 year pension plus vaca and great healthcare

I'm doing physics because I love it. It just happens that it comes with a decent paycheck. I fucking hate people who get their degree just to aspire to be a wagecuck.

Is Finance considered STEM?
Any Finance degrees here?

>No degree
>80k in network design engineer for a big company
>looking to be over six figures one day

Finance is not Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math.

Even though it has math in it, it still doesn't qualify. It's a business degree.

>get CS degree
>get 160k at Facebook right after graduation
>looking at 300k after a couple of promotions in a few years

What do you honestly even do that's worth so much money?

Give us your daily work routine.

He's in the shitposting department.

Not that poster but I make a lot and I have a CS degree. Making design/architectural decisions and implementing them is what makes us valuable. Being a good software engineer requires a stupid amount of abilities. You have to know computers inside and out, have a decent mathematical background, understand different algorithms and their tradeoffs, understand different data structures and their tradeoffs, understand databases and how to structure them for efficiency, know to think abstractly, know how the tiny part you're working on fits into the entire system, etc etc etc

I could literally go on and on but I don't feel like typing more. All of the shit I posted above is something you might do in a standard day.

Point is, most people aren't smart enough OR they didn't dedicate enough time to computers in their life to have any chance being able to do what we do. So I'm clear, you don't have to be a genius to do the shit we do, but you have to at least really really really like everything computer-related and have put the time in to reach mastery. Being smart helps though.

>Making design/architectural decisions and implementing them is what makes us valuable. Being a good software engineer requires a stupid amount of abilities. You have to know computers inside and out, have a decent mathematical background, understand different algorithms and their tradeoffs, understand different data structures and their tradeoffs, understand databases and how to structure them for efficiency, know to think abstractly, know how the tiny part you're working on fits into the entire system, etc etc etc
We learned these skills as part of our mechanical engineering coursework, from high level data structures all the way down to microarchitecture implementation. Everyone I know can code in at least three languages, plus do all sorts of embedded stuff you guys don't knoe how to. And that's not even touching on all the continuum mechanics/ control theory/ other stuff we learn.

I'll ask it again: what do you do that is actually valuable? What do you produce that makes money?

cout

>Is a STEM career the only career path where college becomes worth the cost or is STEM just a meme?

I worked in IT for a while and went back to school for my CS degree.

I also went to a good, expensive private school for a year, and then a cheaper, decent but lesser public commuter school.

It's kind of what you put into it. I know people who have made massive fortunes in IT. I know more people who have made a couple of million. This motivates me, as do other things.

A lot of these kids were slackers. They had no initiative. People aren't going to hand you things on a silver platter. Doing the minimum won't get you any where.

Is it fair? Maybe not. It's how it is though.

The people I know who worked hard and showed initiative did well.

So just getting a cs degree by the skin of your teeth and doing nothing else is a waste of time?

>So just getting a cs degree by the skin of your teeth and doing nothing else is a waste of time?

I know non-CS college graduates who went to Javascript bootcamp for a few weeks and got jobs in San Francisco.

In San Francisco 2016 and so far 2017, that works. But what if things cool off, as they always do? 95% of these Javascript bootcamp people will be out on their ass. I have been in this industry for 25 years and have seen three cool periods and three warm periods (now is 2nd warmest, late 1990s was warmest). When the economy cools off, the CS grads who know their shit keep their jobs, and the Javascript bootcamp kids do something else.

If you're not going to do it 100% it's not worth it. People who don't enjoy their jobs don't succeed. Most people I know who make a lot of money love what they do.

I'm 4 years in and don't meet that criteria. Fuck me.

Biggest meme in history, gonna go business administration and join a fraternity, lol at stem cucks

Gonna work for me anyways, muh mathematical reasoning

>100k in debt for STEM
>All jobs are at minimum wage because pajeet and deepak are ready to do it for even less

It's a meme

Did you gather all this from your mother's basement?

You can get a solid STEM degree for 50k if you don't dick around and stay in state. Even less if you get scholarships.

It's only a meme if you're retarded. Do some networking, get an internship, make decent grades and there's plenty of jobs.

include in there that people will pay you to go to school for it

i got a full ride for engineering

Not everyone is a minority or a woman.

Quit making excuses for being a fucking failure. I swear you /pol/tards are just /r9k/ edgelords. Niggers and woman aren't why you're still living at home.

You're overestimating Pajeet. I make 125k a year. There are a handful of companies that do what the company I'm at does. 1 or 2 in Europe. Be in demand, don't be not in demand.

>be 19 years old
>go to a coding bootcamp
>get hired as a junior at 60k AUD
>1.5 years later
>now at intermediate position on 6 figures

remind me again why I need a CS degree?

>Thinking CS and Soft E. majors don't know how to do embedded programming or electronics.

Ok bud. You keep earning your $70k a year or whatever. If we didn't provide a valuable service, we wouldn't be paid what we're paid, simple as that. The market has deemed what we do valuable, so why the fuck would I care what you think? Quite frankly, it wouldn't matter how elaborate a response I gave you, you wouldn't be content that we're making more than you. Come back when you can successfully answer 80% or more of the top tech interview questions.

I have $0 debt and I make $120k+ per year (this will only go up) from CS so I'd say it's good for me so far

Then go become a software engineer

Protip: You can't because you don't actually know how to architect complex systems or write clean and performant code from your study of matlab and python

Can you explain this ?

I am not messing with you, I was just thinking about moving to Russia (from the UK) when i finish my maths degree

(My mum is Russian and I have family there)

CS in an europoor country (had to move out of the country obviously, I would earn five times less there)

>100k on college

I remember when STEM meant discovery to aid humanity and not some cynical cash grab. At least make it MET and leave the S out of it.

>biz degree
>working on finance masters
>no debt
>good grades
>no connections

Can confirm degrees are memes, currently sitting through "International Business" learning that different cultures expect different things.

This is repeated ad nauseam for 3 hours and the adjunct professor just brags about how he travels and basically does no work.

True. Chad cheats to pass Calculus 1 while you try to get an A in Differential Equations so you can have a competitive graduate school application.

Chad ends up earning 300K working at a private equity firm meanwhile you slave a job at IBM making 90K a year max.

sorry I'm a white guy!
just like most graduates and most people with jobs in engineering!
I spent my entire four years of undergrad totally isolated from the sjw menace!

>try to get a degree in engineering
>fail out first engineering course
>change major to business finance
>ezpz without even looking at the book

Yep, I'm gonna be unemployed. Pic related, the courses I'll be taking in the spring. I'll probably be binge watching on netflix this upcoming semester.