Veeky Forums I'm going to be in Japan for a few days...

Veeky Forums I'm going to be in Japan for a few days, and I can rent any generation of GT-R (from R32 to R35) for the time I'm there.

The R32 is swapped with an R34 motor, and I think they all have some suspension work done besides the R35 which is stock just detuned to 450hp apparently.

I don't know shit about Skylines in general, but I'm inclined to go with the R32 just for it seeming more fun to throw around.

What do?

Attached: Skylines.jpg (1024x682, 398K)

Look how excessively large and ugly the r35 is

they really peaked with the 34 didn't they

For some reason I'm doubting you actually have an international driver's license

I do. I'm in Canada, we just go to CAA and give them some money and they provide it, and it's valid in Japan.

Sounds like a waste of money. US already has the r32 and r35. So what's the point? Drive something cool like a Mustang GT and remind them who owns them.

>he has never left he country
SAD

Attached: giphy.gif (630x385, 3.37M)

>US already has the r32
Nobody has been able to answer me about this meme so far but I'll try asking again:

how does driving/importing a RHD car to the USA work? Do the people who own r32s in the USA just convert them to LHD or is it on a state-by-state basis for legal definition of "roadworthy" and some import owners just keep/drive it RHD?

I'm from Canada, we actually have all of the Skylines here, and I've never really given much of a shit about any of them. I just happened to find a company that rents out fun cars near where I'm staying in Japan so I figure I might as well enjoy the roads a bit.

You are just driving a rhd car in an area designed for lhd cars everything just becomes impractical and a hassle like drive-thrus, getting a ticket from automated parking gate lot, toll booths etc. There are no legal issues

Most people don't need to drive when they're on vacation. Especially in Japan which had one of the most advanced public transit systems of any country.

>everything just becomes impractical and a hassle like drive-thrus, getting a ticket from automated parking gate lot, toll booths etc. There are no legal issues
So then doing a LHD swap would mostly be just for "convenience"? wow

almost no one does an lhd swap, except for some rich fucks in dubai.

There's a 25 year import rule on cars from overseas. When they reach 25 years old to the date, they are eligible to be imported into the United States. They are exempt from FMVSS / NHTSA ratings. All that needs to be done is the car needs to be imported legally and you can register it in 48 states without any other work done (CA / HI exceptions). For CA, you need to get the car within CARB regulations, and there is only one facility which has the power to do this. For HI, there are a lot of different rules on getting an imported car to regulation, such as a third brake light.

Attached: Krugozor original universal mirror system for rhd.jpg (1600x899, 233K)

There's some countries where it's required. I feel like I've heard of this being popular in the UAE because they can't actually own the car being RHD or something. Pic related was a local dude here in Canada that imported one of them for some reason even though RHD is fine here.

Attached: 687474703a2f2f6931352e74696e797069632e636f6d2f347a78756274332e6a7067[1].jpg (1600x1200, 190K)

I know about the 25 year rule, but I always thought/assumed it was 20 years. I'm assuming the mechanical/engineering/electrical details of a LHD swap are a nightmare on cars like a skyline or a silvia though?

20 is Leafland, 25 is the USA

Leafland is 15

It'd be legal to import a 20 year car from nippon to CAN and then to USA or the DoJ has already thought of that?

No LHD swap needed if the car is over 25 years old. You import and register it as-is.

You have to jump through some hoops to get it into the U.S. and registered, i.e. the computer systems here weren't designed to take foreign VINs and apparently some paperwork needs to get manually done.

so uhh..wat skyline is gud?

none of them, they aren't that great cars

He says, having never driven one.

Where are you renting from?

>R32.

Attached: 8358598_orig.jpg (1024x681, 151K)

>Subjectively:
R33 > R32 >> R34 >>>>[...]>>>> R35
GTS-T trim a best.

>Objectively
R35 >>> R32 > R33 = R34
GT-R is the best.

Attached: GT-AAARRRRRRR.jpg (1920x1200, 544K)

Canuckistan is 15, that's why you can find R34s in the west coast and toronto

Objectivity should be horizontally compared (i.e. with the surrounding competition and environment), not veritcally, so considering the time period, objectively
R32>R34>R35>R33
R32 rocker the world, R34 had a big impact, R35 was a refresh but not as big of a deal as the R34, and the R33 was just a step from the R32
I agree with your subjective eval though

Subjectively: R34 = R32 > R33 >>>>>R35
Objectively: R35 > R34 > R32 > R33

>when all of your car knowledge is from memes

Let me guess the R33 is your favorite it didn't even make drastic changes it was more of a refine R32

Attached: Nissan_Skyline_GT-R_Nismo_Z-Tune.jpg (1024x682, 345K)

The R34 is basically a shorter wheelbase R33 with heavier steering, stiffer chassis + dampers and better aero along with a power bump. The changes from R32 to R33 were enormous by comparison.

If you've actually driven these cars you would know that "objectively" the R33 and R34 are broadly comparable. A ton of parts from the R34 are literally bolt-on mods for the series 2/3 R33.

>that z tune hood
unf

Attached: nismo-z-tune-r34-gtr-vspec.jpg (2000x1333, 319K)

>z tune

Attached: g7IsB.gif (302x206, 1.92M)

Obviously the R34 you dickhead.

Probably the only person who likes the r33

Attached: IMG_9884Medium_zpsf2a85e93.jpg (1024x682, 111K)

>driven: 0 of them
>telling others which are subjectively and objectively best, while saying GTS-T is best in either case

Where exactly do you plan to drive it? In heavy city traffic? Expensive tolled highways? Public mountain roads where you can't afford a collision with a guard rail, let alone pedestrians or other vehicles? A race track where your rental policy is sure to be voided?

r33 v spec in midnight purple

Attached: ae8a60d8151a9170c2f16054d82ef7db.jpg (2048x1361, 339K)

You can see how tbroughout the generations the car goes from happy to bored, to angry.

Color matched wheels never really look too good.

I remember seeing a lot of lhd'd skylines and silvias when I was a kid. My country used to import a lot of japanese cars since it was cheaper than buying from Burgerland.