What should I know about driving fast on the toegay, aside from staying in my lane and driving below my limits...

What should I know about driving fast on the toegay, aside from staying in my lane and driving below my limits, which I already do? I've tried it a few times and it's a lot of fun, but I really don't know what I'm doing technique wise. Are there any good places to learn driving techniques, and how different are toegay and racetrack techniques?

Attached: 3.jpg (489x326, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6-sGV2XXUeU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The best thing you can do is drive the same pass over and over. Take note of which gear best fits each section and try to get a sense of where the “lines” are. If its a busy road, you probly shouldn't be driving during the day since at night you can see incomming headlights and have more confidence attacking blind corners. Uphill corners will be better to poweroversteer since you are fighting gravity and its easier to control the car. Learn the run both ways and film yourself if you have an action cam so you can see where you can improve.

Attached: 2EEF1001-B287-463D-A21A-0CF1CD83CEB1.jpg (1024x768, 293K)

Really the most important thing is familiarizing yourself with the road. Once you’ve mapped out in your head all the turns, straights, and imperfections in the road, you can continue to repeat it and build confidence. Pick good braking zones and make note of sections where it’s safe to improve and also sections where it isn’t. It’s not worth flying off a cliff to shave off a few seconds but skidding out into some gravel or dirt isn’t that big of a deal

Attached: 1A2C1A00-9056-4014-9E8C-4F93C217386C.jpg (4032x3024, 2.48M)

Also, don’t ever cross the double yellow lines. You risk hitting a cyclist, motorcyclist, or oncoming car.

Attached: 84BC2B72-7421-443F-AF9B-93618A9E2909.jpg (2048x1536, 1.07M)

Once you have the route memorized, you can anticipate the next section and attack accordingly. If you can do it safely, use the whole width of the road. The biggest concern is drivers comming from the other direction. Just because youre willing to crash your car pushing the limits doesnt justify putting others at risk. Watch youtube videos and practice in open areas where the cops wont get you. Always scout the area ahead of time if possible. Ive barely made it under fallen trees that i couldnt see until it was too late. Always be ready for a deer or rocks or a crashed car. You never know whats gunna be around the next bend but there are always ways to reduce the risks as much as possible. Alot of times, ill take the run at halfspeed to make sure the path is clear and nothing is out of place but you always should be ready for the unexpected.

Attached: D724585A-64EB-43FB-A876-6CA439EE30E2.jpg (900x675, 70K)

>tfw found a good curvy road
>tfw theres a house every half mile and I'm afraid of running over a kid or something

do it at night

I would argue that old group B and rally driving techniques are the best videos to study. But overall, practice makes perfect and you just have to drive the same route over and over.

Attached: 86627EC6-6B76-47FC-BF7B-B27E1E8B745C.jpg (2832x1556, 1.2M)

this but don't do it too late at night regularly or they will call the cops and have them waiting for you around a corner

my dad would rip through this section every day on his way home from work, he would leave tread marks and everything. thankfully the last time he did it I went through it first going the speed limit and saw the cop waiting and warned my dad.

Do your homework. The first place to start learning how to go fast is on the bench.

youtube.com/watch?v=6-sGV2XXUeU

Get a decent dash camera. It will let you review your drive to see where you can improve and it will give you peace of mind. They are cheap these days.

Attached: IMG_20170406_065527.jpg (2557x1569, 1.2M)

Sign up for a local autocross event. You don't even have to try to be competitive (although it's fun) just do it so you can safely learn the limits of your car without writing it off in the process. After youve done a few of those, head up and down the mountain and learn the road like the back of your hand. Then gradually get faster and faster. If you have friends that you want to run with you, have them do the same or similar process and bring walkie talkies to communicate. This makes it safer and makes things flow ×10 easier.

Attached: 1513039261284.jpg (1280x720, 312K)

>I would argue that old group B and rally driving techniques are the best videos to study.

bahhahaahahaha fucking idiot. you have no idea what you're talking about you underage no skill having faggot

>but I really don't know what I'm doing technique wise

>go to YouTube
>search for basic theory and techniques
>do those things

I'd actually suggest reading a book but OP is so retarded that a youtube video like the one suggested here is the best idea.

track days

Well, friend, maybe you could tell me why im wrong? The basic principals of drifting and the theory ( weight transfer, grip, braking points, aero, understeer and oversteer, angle) were all first explored and experimented with in the rally stages. Why wouldnt that apply to touge driving? Its basically larping as a rally driver.

Attached: 3E6CB958-44F4-44DA-8DB3-D010A89297FB.jpg (1080x1080, 333K)

>implying togue driving involves attacking the road like you're in a fucking drift car while also not worrying about going off track to a degree because you have the suspension to handle it
Jesus christ, it's not a fucking rally, don't treat it as such. If you do what this user is saying, you're likely gonna fly off of the road. Togue driving is about aggressive attacking, not recklessly sliding into corners and putting your tires in the dirt.

>learning anything from a video of group b rally drivers

gee you and hundreds of thousands of other people must be experience drivers than.

the only way you'll get better at driving is experience. see: Track days/autox and repetition.

Watching a 10 min video of group b rally won't do shit you dumb fuck.

>. Are there any good places to learn driving techniques

FUCK YA GOT ME BEAT. I CAN'T THINK OF A SINGLE PLACE WHERE YOU COULD GO AND PAY TO LEARN HOW TO PROPERLY RACE/DRIVE. GEE IF ONLY WE HAD SUCH A PLACE.

Learn shuffle steering. Use slow hands and slow feet. Slow hands (when steering) avoids losing traction when steering at higher speeds. Slow feet (on pedals) avoids skidding or wheels locking when braking, aka loss of traction.

When turning, start as far inside the lane (if you're turning right, as far to the right, if left, as far to left) then finish outside of the lane. This widens up your turn slightly and thus it's less likely to lose traction.

Shuffle steering and proper turn position are pretty much non-noob driving 101, yet I never see people doing it properly. Most people fucking hand-over-hand steer and take turns as tight as possible... There are people on this board right now who care more about the car than how to drive it to it's full potential.

go on race track and see how your car is on the limit
Youll be shocked how far away from it you are

in a way it makes sense since rally drivers dont go at the limit since they rarely know the course, they have to rely on pace notes and leave a margin of error.
Other than that and weight shift management its not useful.

ignore this guys advice he has never gone fast

>durrrrrr!!! I think TV is reeeeallll... watching other people drive is just entertainment durrrrrr!!!! My bwrain too small to be able to understand how you can learn from watching others and apply it to a certain degree in my own life durrrrrrr!!!!

When did i say “do exactly what rally drivers do.” If you dismiss rally and it’s techniques, then youre an ignorant fool. I never said be reckless. If you think rally drivers arent driving within their skill level or the limits of their machines, then youre wrong. If anything, an experienced rally driver is going to be alot faster on any course than a weeaboo drift fag with a bunch of track days. I stick to my argument that togue driving is just rally larp. Also, if you think you can just go out and do anything as well as a professional or experienced person when you havent put in the hours, i hope you learn the hard way thats not how life works. But if you think nothing can be learned from the techniques invented in other forms of motorsport, Youre just limiting your resources greatly.

Attached: 4555353B-59CD-4384-885D-044ED2634DDC.jpg (383x423, 49K)

t. has never been on a track.

Yeah just floor it and jerk the wheel with no consistency in your movements whatsoever.

basics for steering are 9 and 3 and never fucking move them this gives the smoothest and most controlled input.
Basics for pedals are fast but smooth on the pedals as much as traction can handle.
For braking hard on the brakes: WOT, straight to brake, smooth but fast slam it in, keep it above where abs kicks in/wheels lock, slow and smooth off the brakes as to not destabilize the car and then straight back onto the gas.

>thinks a touge is more like a track than a rally stage

p. sad desu

Attached: D401702A-DD6D-4268-841A-7D5B6F70FB15.jpg (720x505, 62K)

touge is like an unmantained track with bad tarmac that is really long and hilly.
Its closer to a rally stage thats on road like monaco

Thanks man. I dont understand why these other anons are being such assholes about it. Why wouldnt you want to have the talent and skills that the top level rally drivers have? Why would you dismiss their feats on forest courses as having zero relevance to spirited backroads driving? These fags make it seem like the point of rally is crashing on purpose and sliding uncontrollably. Id love to watch an in car of these guys driving like grandmas down a mountain but i doubt they own cars and most likely, theyre citydwellers with no nearby roads worth driving.

Attached: 6812D410-80BE-40F3-8542-3DAE4FEF32B3.jpg (2840x1616, 915K)