Why does older car paint look so good and metallic? was it the lead? Modern car paint looks like a plastic coating

Why does older car paint look so good and metallic? was it the lead? Modern car paint looks like a plastic coating

Attached: IMG_9441.jpg (750x450, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sxSgcGVW8eg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Newer paint has more antioxidants and rust preventatives to last longer. You can find tons of cars today with metallic coatings. The lead was only there to dry paint faster. That's it. New paint fades less and lasts longer and is more resistant to uv light

ITT OK thinks Chip Foose metallic paint is factory 1960s paint

its lead to help it dry, arsenic to give it the shine and it is to be carried on with asbestos brush. It shines in dark better since it contains radioactive isotopes that decay over 40 years and it gives off second hand cigarette smoke vapours for a century
old cars should be crushed california had the right idea to get those dirty bombs off the roads

Attached: 1517784709711.jpg (427x427, 35K)

I'm ashamed to admit it but you fucking had me for a moment there, thanks for the chuckle.

Attached: 1439172445648.jpg (487x613, 90K)

>was it the lead?

Yes. And if your kids don't stop licking the windows, the lead is going to lower their IQ.

kek'd

lol

Tell me sir, where is that picture from?

Symphogear. Enjoyable trainwreck idoru show where they put on skimpy power armor and fight ayy lmaos. The armor is powered by music.

Because someone with a classic car is much more likely to take proper care of their paint. Modern paint can look great too, just normies don't give a shit and are going to throw away their shitbox in 3-5 years anyway so they don't bother.

Attached: 2003 accord.jpg (3264x3264, 2M)

what happened in that pic?

full respray or something else?

Paint correction. Usually done with a dual action polisher tool and wet sanding and heavy compounds.

>Why does older car paint look so good and metallic?
Unlike modern factory paint jobs, the old metallics (and 3rd party metallic paint) had slightly bigger metallic / mica flakes. That gave it a more exaggerated metallic shimmer. And that old style super metallic pearly matte shimmer was due to "overdosing" the number of flakes. Does that make for more durable paint if there's an overabundance of flakes instead of binder and environmental resistance agent? There's also the matter of grain boundary between the flakes and binder. Having a large number of flakes undergo many cycles of hot/cold expansion under UV light exposure might result in early failure.

Long ago in my youth, I saw a nicely purple car in arizona. It had huge metal flakes about 1/3 the size of the glitter you can buy at craft stores. That car really glittered. I thought that was too metallic. About 3 years later, it started to have paint failure. That is only one case, so it is not statistically valid. BUT if it was valid, that would imply that larger flakes increase the risk of early failure. Regardless, before choosing to have extra-large doses of extra-large mica flakes, attention should be given to show that longevity is not affected.

Thank you kind sir.

Don't bother watching it. Chris is the only good thing about the show.

Lead is a component of it, look at all Silverados from the 90s most have paint fade away and are rusting out due to the lead being removed

Attached: da19cb28804746a5adbd67552bed5182.jpg (600x1068, 94K)

>most have paint fade away and are rusting out due to the lead being removed
In old school paints before the age of clear coat on everything, Lead's value comes most if the paint is exposed to the environment. If people would only wax or do other protective measures to preserve their clear coat, then the fading problem wouldn't be so prominent.

>Lead is a component of it,
Don't worry, the Chinese still use a lot of lead in various metal products. It's a big component of chinese-made metal zippers since the lead helps make self-lubricating metal zippers. When there is a lot of lead used, the zippers easily become stinky. Chinese brass zippers in jeans have lead in them too so that is one difference between Chinese-made "levi" jeans and the usa-made ones.

Get a load of this guy

>Why does older car paint look so good and metallic?
Because someone took care of it. They washed the car not too much and not too seldom. They don't let salt sit on the car. They preserve the clear coat by not polishing it but let the wax take care of any imperfections. While polishing gives a better short term shine, it thins the clear coat which reduces the amount of UV protection to the paint. Clear coat also needs a minimum thickness to stay on the paint. If it gets too thin, it might begin to peel off.

It's a like 6 coats of lacquer color/base that are sanded between coats-Gives it a lot of depth, not so much what you call "metallic" as it is sheen and you can buff the piss out of lacquer and most people usually did or people who bother with it today do so. Today there's a lot of single stage type shit flying around used by factories. Two stage enamels of course exist but are really only as good as the clear, imo.

How long ago have people been doing that diligent not too much not too little highwire act? The 50s?

i think its just that metalic paint was popular then, plenty of cars (mainly rich people cars) come with metalic paint now, its just boring regular cuck mobiles that have boring flat paint in muted colours

Attached: 4QAndX77arw.jpg (640x640, 53K)

LOL OK

Hev you considered punctuation bitch??

Attached: 311834.jpg (480x360, 28K)

This guy fuckin paints, damn.

fuck that's nice, im just staring at it listening to this, which is just perfect.
youtube.com/watch?v=sxSgcGVW8eg

>Modern car paint looks like a plastic coating
Matte finish looks like a coating. The others look just fine. And if you insist, you can always get that fancy Lexus true blue paint that was recently announced. But it is extremely tedious to paint onto cars, so every door ding you collect will be a tearjerker.

i don't think you can "correct" a fucked clear coat