Manual transmissions are cool and shit but does anyone else find it kind of funny that you're only one misshift away...

Manual transmissions are cool and shit but does anyone else find it kind of funny that you're only one misshift away from total engine and transmission destruction? You think they would have some kind of lockout mechanisms to help prevent this

Attached: d2c68dd29c39ad2ec44c71865f962335.jpg (1280x782, 145K)

Well not really. So long as the clutch is still engaged the mistake can be corrected without issue.

>manual transmission are cool
If you say so son

Attached: images (3).jpg (290x174, 11K)

You really have to fight the synchromesh to money-shift.

You might call it a stupidity tax

you mean like... a synchro?

This. Shifting into the wrong gear is actually pretty fucking hard with the syncromesh. You’re gonna have to shove the shit out of your shifter to force your car into first gear while doing highway speeds

I used to take pride in driving a manual when I was a teenager. It tickled my Initial D fantasies of shifting into gear and launching off like a rocket.
Then I drove an automatic one time and never wanted to go back.
Manualfags are proud of less efficient, more time consuming system for no practical reason beyond raw pride. The only bonus is knocking $4,000 or so off the base price.

you have to be fucking retarded to misshift enough to blow the engine on a manual, any synchronized transmission will be hard as fuck to go from 3rd to 2nd or whatever at high RPM

manual>automatic in winter any time. otherwise auto is fine

>The only bonus is knocking $4,000 or so off the base price
aren't manuals the same price as autos in the US
I wouldn't know, I never have and never will buy a new car

My car is an underpowered piece of shit. Manual keeps it in the power band like an auto couldn't.

Stop replying to obvious bait.

Raking in the (You)s I see.

This is the correct answer
/thread

Attached: 7DCBA9B6-4C26-4C6A-A8E3-93F3D5FCE89D.jpg (720x480, 56K)

I'm too fucking old to care any more.

In some cases manual costs more

How shameful is it to not know how to drive manual? I want to learn but I'm scared of fucking up the clutch.

manual actually costs more in a lot of cases now because so few people want to drive one in our perpetual traffic that its considered to be rare

Hard but not impossible... There's certain narrow windows of opportunity in which the shifter will just slam right through the gates without resistance. The stars need to line up but when they do...

Where did this
>manual is better in the winter
meme come from?
Literally since the inception of automatic transmissions you've been able to use the manual range select to force the transmission to down shift.

But even still. THE LAWS OF FUCKING PHYSICS.
At any moment your linear speed doesn't match the rotational speed of the wheels you will start skidding. It doesn't matter if you achieve it by hitting the brakes or with the intake vacuum.

I was able to moneyshift my 20v 4age with the c62 pretty easily going 4th -> 3rd when I meant to go to 5th, I was already at like 7k rpms and that bitch slid right in and pegged the rpm gauge and probably hit 11k rpm. Engine and tranny are fine

Not to mention most modern AWD systems require an automatic transmission.

The clutch is the last thing you'll fuck up

why?

It's about disconnecting the engine from the drivetrain so exactly what you talked about won't happen. I have often caught slides by putting the clutch in so the rear wheels can freely turn and hook up as easily as possible without any accelerative or deccelerative forces acting on them. It makes it that much easier to regain control if you hit a particularly slippery spot on the road.

Another huge advantage is that you can force it to hold a higher gear to keep the engine out of the powerband to avoid wheelspin, rather than getting unexpected downshifts to guarantee a nice bit of wheelspin out of an auto.

As long as you don't redline the engine then dump the clutch you'll be fine. Stalling a car isn't good for it, but as long as you're not stalling at every light it's NBD.

The most damage you'll do is your pride and maybe need a jump if you stall a ton in a short time.

>I busted a shift linkage this way (ham fisted newb back then)

Integration with electronic controls for diff, engine, and transmission.

That being said, a 6MT 335i xDrive is a thing that exists and is pretty sweet with some sikk mawdz.

Extremely, commit sudoku immediately

the benefit for us used car buyers is that nobody wants to buy them off a used dealer and they come cheaper ;)

Literally no AWD system requires an automatic transmission.

not correct at all

there are tons of modern manual vehicles with AWD systems

the Focus RS comes to mind

What a moron.

>Another huge advantage is that you can force it to hold a higher gear to keep the engine out of the powerband to avoid wheelspin, rather than getting unexpected downshifts to guarantee a nice bit of wheelspin out of an auto.
So exactly like an automatic then? If you place it in 2nd it will stay in 2nd no matter what, it will not shift into 3rd or 1st. Using this you can eliminate wheel spin at low speeds.

autos are less available here than manuals, and manuals are cheaper.

I understand that, but do you mean to imply manuals are better simply because they cost less? That's not really a valid point, because it would mean for example a Ford Fiesta is better than a Ford Mustang based on price.

>the Focus RS comes to mind

>AWD

It's haldex crap

(You)

>hey let me just money shift my car so I can prove that automatic is superior after all hahahaha
reallly grasping for straws there
Bet you only buy cars with 8 star safety rating too

no auto is boring as fuck, what point is comfy if all it does is make me want to fall asleep and makes me angry because the car makes retarded descisions because "muh autotragic knows best"

>one misshift away
Not really, if it happens you'll notice from the revs and press the clutch back in, and if I've understood correctly you shouldn't be able to put it in reverse when in full speed, it makes a horrible rattle before you manage to shift it

Thats not a moneyshot though. A moneyshot is like 4th to 1st, or 5th to reverse.

Not all autos have that ability.
While all manuals do.

My auto can't select a specific gear at all, only the highest gear you want it to use. And it will still do whatever the fuck it wants within that range.
As a consequence it is not great in snow on it's own, and will skate off into graceful arcs with no provocation at all. It has to have a secondary system built onto it to artificially lower to power output of the engine and monitor wheel rotation speeds to make it drivable.

So more complexity on top of complexity in order to deal with the added complexity the additional complexity creates.
>lexus.txt
I miss manual.

>had a c4 4+3 manual tranny
>red lining in 3rd
>shift to 2nd instead of 4th
> rpms skyrocket, tires chirp, press clutch in, lost the street drag race
>nothing bad happened

Manuals are cheaper to build, maintain, fix and buy. Add the fun factor and the fact that they're relatively efficient and you'll see why so many Veeky Forums-tists love it.