I have the opportunity of what seems like a life time to buy a 1983 Chrsyler E Class with only 70k miles and all...

I have the opportunity of what seems like a life time to buy a 1983 Chrsyler E Class with only 70k miles and all original parts and features including the speak and spell indicator voice. For only 1200. Should I cop? Whats to be expected in terms of the lifetime before it needs a new motor? This car was only manufactured for two years and is considered fairly rare.
(pic related)

Attached: Screenshot_20180313-005021-01.jpg (1080x781, 268K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8DwKqCZlKnw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

don't, there's a reason so few of them were made. my great aunt had one of these shitboxes and it was one of the most unreliable cars she had ever had.

What's the main issue with it? I tried doing some research but I couldn't find anything very descriptive

typical 80s barge problems, don't know for sure since I didn't own the thing. all I know is that it overheated a LOT and the interior had the cheapest bottom-of-the-barrel materials known to man.

Is there any solution to the heating problem? I know Im asking broad questions but Its hard to find any critical criticisms of the car online

Sounds like female owned problems more than anything.

Offer $1000 and see where it goes. The car is nothing special. Chrysler declared bankruptcy in 1979 so the cars afterwards are part of a reconstruction effort. Chrysler pumped out cheap fwd shit to gain relevance. They did sell in great numbers, but they were throw away cars. For $1-1.2k I think it would be an entertaining and unique vehicle. Its very 80's and that's the trendy thing to have bright now. Ifou want something rwd look at the Dodge Diplomat or the Chrysler Fifth Avenue.

Attached: zcfa.jpg (885x498, 68K)

Bad coolant, bad water pump or rust on the cooling system. Heating issues is a common thing, it's not a specific Chrysler issue. When a Chrysler has a problem, everyone shits on it and blames the brand, if any other car has an issue it's just a maintenance thing.

>the speak and spell indicator voice
the which

Look it up, its pretty amazing to see/hear something like it from the 80's

youtu.be/8DwKqCZlKnw

Would it be possible to use as a daily driver? Or is that risking it a bit? I plan on putting money into it to maintain it, as cars from the 80's are relatively simple to work on, and I have access to a full garage with a life etc. The person selling it has rebuilt the carburetor, put in a new battery, amongst countless other things, id say at least a thousand dollars of work into it since theyve had it

Lift* they also re added some of the original parts like the original stereo for example

if you're mechanically inclined I'd say go for it, but if you want to daily it you'll have to stay on top of things. that means replacing parts before they have a chance to break

Yeah I see what you mean. I was thinking I would slowly replace as much as I can over time, starting with a new muffler. I'd like to to leave the interior and exterior alone, except for maybe putting a tape deck in if I can

I'd put in stuff like a new radiator, water pump, alternator, etc. stuff that wears down over time

I looked up the car. Mechanically it should be easy to maintain. Electronically, trim, things specific to that Chrysler will be more difficult because parts will be hard to find.

The car is an englarged version of what's called the "K car" dodges cheap fwd platform. It shares the same engine and transmission as all other K cars so it'll be easy to keep it running.

Do you know what the most common cause of the overheating problem is? Is it really as big of an issue as people say it is?

The only reason I jumped on this model specifically is mostly due to the price, In my area at least I couldn't find an older, easier to work on, low mileage, and relatively cheap car. The price fits my current budget as I'm not aft to spend 2,000-4,000 on a car from this time period, and most newer used cars ive looked at have too many miles on top of being sold "as is" with problems that would make me hire a tow truck just to get it home

Just inspect it at least weekly. Look for alarming leaks, loose nuts/bolts, rust/corrosion etc. and you'll be good my dude. Doing regular maintnance and inspections is de way to go with old stuff.

Thank you my friend, I appreciate the help, I'm new to the concept of maintaining older cars and was worried about the response I would get for considering a relatively unsuccessful model for a main driver. Thank you for the advice

Do we have a sticky of the how to buy a car thing?

K car is alright if you want to learn how to wrench. They don't scatter yards anymore but new parts should still be pretty cheap. I think there were turbo ones at one point, which would make a neat ride but nothing stops it from being any other $1k shitbox you would buy.

Attached: dellata.jpg (768x432, 65K)