incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/digitalsun/moonlighter
strawpoll.me/13862022
textureingraphics.wordpress.com/what-is-texture-mapping/anti-aliasing-problem-and-mipmapping/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

who here sad?

make a new thread

Here

this poster did me a booboo and now im sad

way to start a thread cunts

Just got over a wall ive been stuck on for days, so im slightly less depressed, desu.

Reposting.
I have probably two areas left to add for the demo (which is going to be bad, btw. There's no sensible map design because I haven't worked on the map screen yet) and then the boss and options. Extra time available will be used to clean out bugs and maybe add some context.

not me I'm great

I'm not sad, I'm absolutely terrified demo day is coming up.
I've got barely one level and it sucks.

Yes and no.
You as a developer need to be the most critical of your work. You need to develop the skill to realize when something is good,bad, and ready to ship. The pitfall of most devs are they are too deluded and biased of their own work.

External feedback should always be taken sparingly unless theres a really specific thing most people agree on is a problem. But that's also another skill. Because what if that specific thing is the focal point of your game? Can you make it work and your game stand out? Or is it actually shit and needs dropped?

chicken thread is nodev thread

+Fightan
Seriously this is my most hated thing i ever added, i built everything around the fact that only one unit can exist on a cell at any time, forcing it to accept two fucked a good chunk of my code, should i really care about having 2 units per cell? this is an aspect i wanted to change in ftl but then rooms will feel empty.
but yeah, units will recognize if others aren't from the same team and will seek and attack it (only melee now)

I'm sad because I have been sick and couldn't make any progress

>they lovingly rub each others thighs until one of them dies
I like this mechanic.

You could have made them fight on the edge of their cell instead. Although it would have gotten weird with >5 people

Whoops, posted in dead thread.

Added to the zombie AI, so they'll wander around before they see you. Added a little hop and a "!" for when they spot you, and they start moving a bit faster.

Your level is probably better than mine, so I wouldn't worry. I rushed out one just so it can show all the enemies I've made so far. I know a lot of people are going to complain about it.
My eyes and my back hurt and I keep going to bed at 5am.

>should i really care about having 2 units per cell
unless you plan to use it to implement more advance shit (ie. short range melee and long range melee where the unit tries to stay a cell away and has reduced dps at low distance) i wouldn't have bothered.

now you have to find a way to implement 2-4 v1 and to make it not look like garbage with different sprites.

>mantises start throwing puke at you when they can't melee because the cell already has 2 units on it

i guess it depends on how big you want the average ship to be.

Ok Veeky Forums in order to motivate my ass and hopefully make faster progress I'll participate instead of just reading. I'm making a game to try to apply in every nearby studio with. It (almost) worked 4 years ago with a game I made on a weekend, so i'm trying again.

You're taking control of the MC (basically me) and you have a month time to make your dreams come true (there's in-game time progression). Your dream - make videogames for a living (i know, totally meta, right?). To achieve this, you need Courage, Motivation, Constitution and Funds. Once you've gained Confidence, enough Motivation and sufficient funds (and you're not sick / incapacitated), you can start making the game (a DDR-style button mashing climax). To gain Courage / Motivation / Constitution you do various shit in the game - talk to people (vn style), do part time jobs, fight monsters (three minigames), and eat / sleep. All these actions have various effects on your stats and you have take care of yourself and your mission. There's various bad endings depending on how and what you do and multiple ways to succeed as well. There's a bunch of funny and interesting NPCs you can talk with and a few secrets to uncover.

So far i have probably sunk about 2 days worth of work into it (I work fast as fuck if I don't laze around)...

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Newgame Quest
Dev: bald russian
Tools: ps & flash (fuck off I can only program as2 and php)
Web:
Progress:
+ everything planned
+ home hub
+ 8-directional mc spritesheet done
+ 80% of NPC dialogue written
- main city hub wip
- secrets wip
- engine wip

So my and a gamedev friend just found about this:

kickstarter.com/projects/digitalsun/moonlighter

It's basically what we've been working on. What do now?

>flash

It probably won't get finished anyway so don't worry too much.

And even if it does, natural differences in development will occur even if the initial idea is the same.

I'm sad because 3D gameplay is hard as heck. I can't even make a character that moves smoothly across the ground. Whenever it goes up or down slopes it jitters a lot.
Does anyone have some good resources on making smooth 3D movement? I'm trying to make a racing game for mechajam.

is this some ancient copypasta i don't know about?

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong to rotate this character? I want it to rotate exactly 90 degrees on input, smoothly. However with what I have now, it doesn't even rotate the complete 90 and and just jumps about 20 degrees with each key press:

if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.D))
transform.Rotate (0f,0f,-90f*Time.deltaTime);
if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.A))
transform.Rotate (0f,0f,90f*Time.deltaTime);

>a BoI clone that looks like ass and will probably come out three years late
keep chugging along m8

Brawls like that were a really weak part of FTL in the first place. iirc all you do basically is send your units in and babysit their health bars, and if you got distracted by something else for a bit too long, your unit might just die, which just encouraged hardcore pause abuse during any brawl.

I don't exactly have a good suggestion for how to make it better, but they are an aspect of FTL I definitely wouldn't copy verbatim. Maybe disallow brawls altogether? Or if the game needs it, maybe make combat more resemble how ship combat works, which is slow paced and gives plenty of time for reactions. Just an idea, but you could give units a discrete, small amount of health (3-5) and give attacks a wind-up period (like the ship weapons). At least that way a player could do the math on whether he's going to win or lose a brawl without having to babysit a fight (which is unfun imo). eg. a player has 5 health and the last attack on him did 2 damage, so you knows he has to deal x amount of damage before he gets attacked twice more.

I have neither time nor a real need to learn a "proper" language to make this.

Rude :c

boarding in space is just a retarded idea that would never be feasible in real life, so just scrap it entirely

>degrees

You can't issue a single command on a key press and expect it to apply over time. You need to use something like a coroutine to handle that.

Fixed a couple more bugs I found with the saving/loading I put in yesterday. Touched up the save select screen, they have slots now so they overwrite on quick save instead of making brand new ones. New games autosave after character creation.

>90 * Time.deltaTime
>90 * 0.01666666666666f
>why isn't it rotating 90 degrees

neat !

seems it wasn't a copypasta. was just wondering since there's strange shit posted here sometimes and you can never really tell.
good luck with your game, user!

>farming silver in world of tanks
>getting angry while getting raped
>angry that I have to farm silver in order to buy premium ammunition in the first place because of jewish game design

Why the fuck am I suffering in order to give some other developer a portion of my life playing his game? How much time have I wasted playing games I'm not actually enjoying at that moment? I mean world of tanks is a good game, it has its high points that make it awesome, but I just don't think the effort is worth it when I could be doing something more productive like making my own game.

Am I growing up? At the tender age of 25.

>Your level is probably better than mine, so I wouldn't worry. I rushed out one just so it can show all the enemies I've made so far. I know a lot of people are going to complain about it.
Nope. Completely worse, it's just "Room, Room with one enemy, which leads either into room with one enemy or room with two enemies, and the lastest leads into a room with one enemy. The rooms are pretty much boxes, the Y fork in the second room. Also got two enemies, although I can tweak some values like damage/bullet type/health.
I'll just use this as a "get familiar with the controls" level and hopefully make a better one, I've never really used UE4's BSP tools before either so I get an excuse. Kinda.
The only good thing is that in close combat, my wonky target leading isn't as wonky.

Whatever happened to that guy that was making that Japanese horror game ? the one with the funny name i can't pronounce let alone remember.
he dead ?

I'm having issues importing an animation with root motion into UE4. I'm animating with Blender, and I've heard that is the problem. Do I need to switch to 3DS Max to make animations properly, or is there some fancy work-around for Blender? Remaking animations is no problem, I just want this shit to work.

nice blog retard

Progress updates are literally a blog too buddy.

progress updates are on topic

>what do you mean my blog about world of tanks is not meant to be on /agdg/? progress posts are blog too!
>what do you mean my blog about my failed love advances are not meant to be on /agdg/? progress posts are blog too!
>what do you mean my blog about my family laughing at me at the thanksgiving table for never leaving my room are not meant to be on /agdg/? progress posts are blog too!

progress updates on games are fine
progress updates on your pathetic life are not. nobody cares

Fine. Post deleted familam. Sorry for distracting the thread.

Got the basic functionally down, thinking about adding some russian hardbass. What do you think?

I hope you guys will help me

strawpoll.me/13862022

Prisoner start is a classic, but maybe a bit played out

Start washed ashore following a shipwreck.

Everything about your character's backstory is up to the player.

too much empty space also tri paloski

>strawpoll.me/13862022

those are all epic starting places tbqh. any of the first three is pretty good and ones i've fantasized about using in games.

The problem is if i only have one unit per cell a full room can't be attacked because there's no place, and 1-4 vs 1-4 is more intense than 1-2 vs 1-2

I agree with what you said about the brawls, they were boring and disconnected from the ship fights, but i need interaction between units, having them only as workers isn't that fun either,
health is a bit tricky, it can't be that low because they take damage on low oxygen too, i'll think of something as i refactor some stuff but i'm open for suggestions.

I'm not trying to be realistic (that much), boarding is totally possible if you destroy navigation systems/engines, instead of a shitty dodge chance that becomes 0 you can send your units to finish the job, also you can board abandoned ships.

That's clever

Hope making an FPS isnt as hard as I think it is. Im scared to shit. I should look on the bright side and see it as a learning experience but still.

world of horror?

start as the former king, overthrown by a rebellion

It really isn't. Level design and enemy AI will be your biggest enemy. Art assets too depending on your visual style. Gameplay itself is pretty simple to make.

i like this

better?

I hope you're not planning multiplayer.

former king's son also works

Added spread and burst fire modes, now the missiles launcher actually feel like missiles launchers :D

son rebelling to father king

Have it depend on which class/skills you pick at the start

You can do it!

neat

this has so much potential

What are mipmaps good for? We still need to do one texture lookup per pixel. Where are the savings?

Now it's blueshifted and does some of that sweet, sweet camera shake everyone loves.

That was fun. Back to boring UI shit.

Reducing VRAM use and preventing texture aliasing.

textureingraphics.wordpress.com/what-is-texture-mapping/anti-aliasing-problem-and-mipmapping/

Are female androids mecha?

Sweet

yes, now make a fucking game

yeh

Maybe

Damn, pure kino

Trilinear filtering without mipmaps requires more work than that.

>find out that you already implemented the thing you needed but forgot about it
this is the best feeling ever

I wanna ride 2B

yes !! but it also had the name in Japanese which is the one i remember. Or can't remember anyway.

2slow for hyperspace, desu.

an android fucking game?

I'm okay right now but I need more time to work on my game. I hope all you anons have better times and get to work on your games soon too.

mobile games are terrible, just say no

This. The planet needs to be really fucked by relativity effects.

That looks cool.

retard

made a new map system with new colors and everything!

It is amazing what a difference a tileset can do. Nice work there dude.

you need a new protag lad.
youre mixing GBC with GBA

How about mobile suits?

if thats the case I'll just take out parallax scrolling

But you don't have parallax scrolling.

not him but static background like that implies two layers of tiles

Thanks anons!

You're probably right, I didn't really play with the scale all that much. I just made it for fun - it won't be in the actual game.

Really nice progress user! Things are really shaping up.

that wont fix the issue.
you have two fundamentally different art styles going on even if theyre just placeholder

why opengl doesn't render my quad when I clearly tell it to render a quad and not a triangle?

Now you can scroll through the top menu of ITEMS, MAPS, FILES and OPTIONS.

Not that much of progress.

Did you give it enough vertices?

>decide add a new feature on a week before demo
uh oh