/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

UPDATE !!WHEN!! TOADY I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE Edition

Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Its FREE! Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40 (embed)
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn (embed)

Strike the earth!

nb4 ssh anime poster

>UPDATE !!WHEN!! TOADY I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE Edition
there user, there
>places gun in his head
just pull this trigger and everything'll be fine

2nd time ever making a fortress that ends up with a King! Unfortunately it seems my population is capped at a meager 18 labor enabled dwarves. It's been years since Scouredgorge has attracted any migrants. With immigration nonexistant and a sudden power grab by our resident Chemist, it seems the distant Mountainhome has fallen to ruin - perhaps our fortress is the final holdout of Dwarfkind. The dwarves will have to find a way to survive..

time to assign labors for everyone, and probably get them all in military squads with a rotating training schedule. Gotta keep those entrance traps loaded as well, the dorfs can't afford another deadly siege ()
Never Forget

I guess I'll just link my last post in the previous thread so the people I responded to don't miss it:
Also, everyone, please make sure to report the spammer.

user you fool this general isn't ready for this level of shitposting.

What are my chances that this spire is hollow?

Do you guys bother getting all the magma-adjacent squares mined out? Seems like a massive pain in the ass involving channeling water down there to make obsidian.

Very high chance I'd say. Just go for the edges first.

The Manager screen is so comfy.

9000 hours in MS Paint later, the king gets a call from a law-giver from the neighboring human civ.. it went okay.

Fucking love using the manager

You're right, you're right, it is still too early for that.

If in doubt, smooth, carve fortifications then dig the tile out if it's safe. You'll still get the candy from mining a fortification. If the circus comes to town you'll still lose fps though.

Thanks for the tip, that'll prove pretty useful.

Also locked floor hatches can't be destroyed from below.

what do the ZTIQ options do on barracks? all the wiki says is T=Training and Z=Sleep. doesnt elaborate much and doesnt even mention Q (Squad Eq) and I (Indiv Eq).

Decides if the squad members will sleep, train or store their equipment in that room. It's that simple.

>years have passes since it was first announced
>you still can't butcher cattle that dies from random causes
Fuck Toady and fuck white people.

>tails comic
nasty, this isn't /b/

How do I save a goblin civilization that is on the verge of collapse from the elves?
I kinda miss the sieges.

ezmode: gen a new world
nightmaremode:
well basically you can't, but if you go into adv mode and kill a sitton of elves you might save the civ. still probably won't send meaningful sieges though

There's still thousands of goblins alive, it's just that they're under the boot of the elven queen.

Thanks

Meant for

honestly I don't know there's much you can do
but you should still be able to go to war with them, right?

Can you fill a moat with buckets?
I embarked on a dry desert and I dont feel like ruining my whole layout by making a pump stack

yeah, designate several 1x1 zones as Pit/Pond -> Pond, and the dwarves will start pouring water in. The zones have to be placed on an empty space on the inner edge of the moat, i.e. 1 z-level off the ground, and 1 space away from the edge of the moat. It might take a long time though, because buckets only carry 1/7 water.

at least I think you need several zones. I recall having a problem where pond zones only assign 1 dwarf per zone, thus requiring several 1x1 zones before you can have a mob of pond filling dwarves. Not sure which is ideal but you can play around with it.

>wtf why doesn't everyone just like, get along or something?

why aren't my dwarves moving the weapons to the weapons stockpiles and moving the armor to the armor stockpiles? the piles are set to take from Anywhere, and they have specific Armor, Finished goods, and Weapons settings... none of the armor/weapons in the middle of the room are forbidden or dumped.

oh hey i figured it out, the stockpiles werent set to take Usable or Unuable armor

I dunno shit the modern version or DF hack but I don't think dwarves store stuff on weapon racks it armor stands, so I just make an armory which is just a weapon/armor stockpile. I don't know how they play with bins lately so experiment I guess, might still get cancellations or it might've been fixed.

Coffers and cabinets should work though.

Yep. Also if the weather is hot enough it might evaporate faster than you can fill it.

So there's no salvaging goblins from this?
Their demon master is still alive and kicking desu.

Go make an adventurer and kill everyone who is a threat to them.

Can I capture sites for my civ if I start as an adventurer goblin?

Using multiple zones is probably an absolute necessity if your moat is large enough to be worthy of the name, since otherwise you're limited to one dwarf at a time. If the moat is large enough it'll definitely evaporate before you can fill if you fill it slowly enough, which tends to be hard to avoid if you're using buckets. It's a question of how many dwarves with buckets you have, how quickly they go between the water source and the moat, how big the moat is and how hot the weather is. You might want to set up some floodgates inside the moat so that you can fill it one bit at a time rather than having all the water spread all over the entirety of the moat and then evaporate before it can get to a uniform depth of 2/7.

alabaster

Why not just fill the moat with pumped or channeled water instead? Seems like unnecessary trouble to use buckets.

On the other hand, buckets might be easier to use for mining out certain submerged ores in the magma sea than diverting a flow of water all the way down there. Will one bucketful convert magma to obsidian or will it just evaporate?

I doubt it, as far as I can tell "claiming a site" just claims it for yourself, and a group you create at the time of claiming.

I've never been clear on how adventurer site groups work. Logically they ought to be a part of the adventurer's parent civ. Even bandit and outlaw groups are still considered civ members.

you need to be part of a civ before you can claim, so logically, your new group becomes a child group of that civ.

I always forget that, I never play as an outsider just because it's so damned inconvenient not being able to carry anything.

Is it possible to view more z levels at once in stonesense or customize it in any way?

really nice user

>tfw you have to meet with qt human lawgiver in the shitty tavern the overseer built because he hasn't ordered a palace constructed for you but you're so drugged up by the sawbones after being stitched together again you literally cannot feel anything

shift+mouse wheel?

that just changes z levels

ctrl or alt maybe
I swear there was a way to do it

Does it bother anyone else that metal leg armor weighs more than metal body armor of the same metal?

sounds logical to me.

the hip+legs area is larger than the torso+shoulders area.

Who won Tourney...

Tourneyanon

everyone lost.

So the guy that showed the screenshot of the DF language book is really doing this, right? Because I would read it.

And he better write it in LaTeX if he wants it to be properly autistic.

If he's really doing it, he's probably too busy doing to respond.

Get giddy when it's done, not before.

what are you talking about?

bump

shroom fortress

Are those underground plants growing outside?!?

>outside
THIS is the underground

>soil fort
What are you doing

It looks like i'm doing mushrooms

Wow, that is an impressively ugly fort.

Hopefully Toady gets the fix to link adventurer groups to their parent civ because otherwise diplomacy doesn't link up with them right.

bump

banded agate

bump

There's a file with the keybinds listed in it. Last time I used stonesense it didn't have a keybind set for expanding/contracting on the z axis, I had to set one myself. In my experience it crashes a lot when you display many z-levels, so it's probably intentionally unbound.

bump

sp00k

How many times have you prayed to Lord Toady for his continuous good health and released the update on time today?

>banged

>78 posts
>30 posters
Hmm.

>it's normal for each poster to only make one post in each thread

>discussion
Hmmmm

>80 posts
>20 images
Really toggles my cats.

You're right, I should start posting pictures of kobolds right now.

kobolady angery

Hm yes excellent.

>it's normal for each poster to only make one shitpost in each thread

why don't you apply yourself like me and draw your own lizards instead of posting guoh's

I want to make a fort with a central shaft, but without using stairs. How would I do this? I just tried
+++^
+++^
+++^

^+++
^+++
^+++

but that doesn't work for some reason

Too much work.

My manager suddenly refuses to validate work orders saying he doesn't have an office even though he has one, I tried changing rooms/designating another dwarf but I still can't use work orders, wat do?

Channel mechanics are annoying, but if you copy toady's pregenned forts you'll be fine.

Last time that happened to me it's because he was stuck in a tree. Are you sure they can reach the designated area?

It's not clear what you're saying you tried, or in what way it failed. Post screenshots.

Stop being such a lazy shit then.

I found him, the retard walled himself in while I was building a pump stack

Oh shit, I've been spelling hoard wrong this entire time, the humiliation! Seriously though, thanks for spotting that.

Dwarfish (in DF) isn't a language, it's just a small collection of words. If he wants the true autism bonus, he should construct a grammatical structure for his language, with proper prefixes, conjugation and shit.

>$ ssh -Y [email protected]
>$ ./pol\ is\ always\ right/dwarf\ fort/df_linux/dfhack
Only.
Way.
Play.
baka desu senpai

It didn't work because your floors are on top of your ramps. If you channel out an area, there will naturally be ramps around the edges which dwarves (and caravans, that's an advantage) can use. Do something like:
z0
---hhh---
---hhh---
---hhh---
z-1
----hhh--
----hhh--
----hhh--
z-2
-----hhh-
-----hhh-
-----hhh-