Was ricer culture an elaborate conspiracy by big auto to make normies think turbocharing is a good thing?

Was ricer culture an elaborate conspiracy by big auto to make normies think turbocharing is a good thing?

Attached: dudeturbolmao.png (992x664, 1.04M)

Attached: 1516919347007.png (502x410, 98K)

The Big 3 were doing it in the 1980s long before the Japanese Onslaught. Ford had the SVO Mustang, Chrysler had the Omni GLHS and all of their Turbo K cars (they even had a fucking turbo minivan), even GM had the Grand National and turbochargers found their way into the early front-wheel-drive Grand Prix GTP's. Chevy had been experimenting with a turbocharged Corvette in the early C4 days and their Oldsmobile Aerotech concept was explicitly designed to test the effects of high-pressure turbocharging systems on the Quad-4. Dodge had the M4S Interceptor thing with a K-engine with a Cosworth DOHC head.

None of those were Japanese partnerships like the Starion or early Ford Probe GT, they were 100% American-grown efforts to turbocharge their vehicles.

Ayy Lincoln got them some vtec??

Yeah, people rejected it back then mostly. I think people are more receptive to it these days mostly because of The Fast and The Furious.

I don't even think ricer culture knows what a turbo is. I think auto manufacturers are using normie logic of turbo=Lamborghini fast

I don't get it, are turbos bad now?

People rejected it back then because they were mentally retarded and didn't know how to take care of turbos. Same reason they weren't that popular in the 60s and 70s. Then add in the fact that cars in general were shit back then and you have a bunch of failures.

Then again that seems to be mostly Americans failing, other places did fine.

Attached: PORSCHE-911-Turbo--930--2991_47.jpg (1280x960, 290K)

They are fine for adding aftermarket power. On new cars they are just a way for the manufacturer to jew you out of displacement.

Yeah, it's better to have larger inefficient engines. Brainlets with MUH DISCPLACEMENT.

no replacement

Attached: 2017-Dodge-Viper-Snakeskin-GTC-edition.jpg (2250x1375, 768K)

Cool a canceled car that's slower than cars with smaller engines.

That was a quick reply. I'm impressed.

Because forced induction makes up for engine size. And if you don't go around boosting everywhere you can still get good economy.

It still wears out the engine more
And with things like a 3 cylinder turbod it's gonna be even worse.
I'd rather have a NA larger engine and turbo it myself to my specs later if I want to than a smaller factory turbo'd engine.

They were lagging unreliable shit then.

Turbos are a compromise for mpgs on paper

And? I have a 30 year old turbo engine with over 200k miles that still runs fine. Amazing what some maintenance can do.

How the fuck do you people only drive 125000 miles in 30 years? I do that in 3 years. No wonder you Euros don't give a shit about how fragile your delicate little turbo garbage engines are.

Can't help it if Americans are too dumb to maintain cars.

>Check engine light
>car not running right

FUCK IT TIME TO DRIVE ACROSS THE COUNTRY WOO

Ever since Ford started using them, attitudes mysteriously changed
N=1

He said 200k miles, not km.

>amazing what replacing parts can do
That doesn't say much of the longevity of bearings and whatnot. Turbos don't last forever man, don't be delusional.

An engine and just about everything on it is a wear part to be replaced.

Don't act like replacing parts makes your car reliable then?

Then car reliability doesn't exist. Also car is still on original turbo with no parts replaced.

>implying ricers have turbos
Ricers drive shitty NA shitboxes and deck them out with tacky exterior mods. While doing nothing to the engine besides maybe a fartcan exhaust.

So you have a low pressure turbo Volvo or something?

Ricers are all people who drive modified nip vehicles in my book.

Ran 7 psi with 9 over boost at factory, currently runs 12. But no it's a Mazda.

A MX6 GT?

Basically, just has pop ups and a Ford badge instead.