So I have a year and a half empty on my resume, when I was literally doing nothing (depression + alcohol addiction)

So I have a year and a half empty on my resume, when I was literally doing nothing (depression + alcohol addiction).

How the hell do you explain this in an interview?

why put it in your resume

Just tell them you were depressed and spent all your time getting drunk. Easy as that.

Make up whatever you want on resume just don't forget you lied

That doesn't reflect well on a character. Nobody wants to hire someone who they suspect had mental problems in the past.

you couldn't tell he was joking so you're probably retarded and not going to get a job outside of food service anyway.

What was the context? Were you let go/quit your previous job without having one lined up? Did you graduate without an employment offer?

It won't be so bad as long as you didn't get fired or arrested. Probably best to say you took care of a sick relative or took a 2 month vacation to europe

say you took care of your sick parent(s)

how's it that hard?

just tell them any story, like you were travelling for the whole time or stayed in africa educating them or built homes in asia with a group of strangers

no need to worry that much as long as you can come up with anything

stayed in africa educating kids*

nobody is able to prove it as long as you don't pretend to be in any organisation and it sounds quite awesome

Tell them the truth about your depression. Same thing happened to me, but I basically pissed two years away before going into clinical therapy... now I work for one of the biggest financial institute in the world.

>Make up whatever you want on resume just don't forget you lied

15 Years in HR for a fortune 100 here...

This actually gets you pretty far. In fact, I suggest all applicants, no matter what your background, put down "mixed race" or "african american" as your info.

You'll get somewhere between a 15% to 25% higher response rate. The hiring managers themselves aren't informed about Race, but HR will recommend specific races at higher percentages for jobs, especially engineering & management positions, if you are AA.

And this isn't just in my company. This is pretty common among other enterprises that contract with the government.

Spin it as you got help and your motivated to make a new run at life. Or just say you where traveling

is this real?

'I took some time to privately investigate the meme market'

They will ask about a gap in job history of that size.

Nobody even notices 1.5 year empty spaces. Say that you were travelling foreign countries.

Absolutely not. Nobody wants to hire someone who is prone to long sick leaves.

Of course it is. Racial diversity is as important if not more than maintaining a skill level.

A company would rather have a token than someone who is better than that person on paper if they are deficient in diversity.

I'm like 1/16th Sami, am I qualified as mixed race?

>is this real?

In my 15 years, we have never challenged any applicant on their racial identification. Legal pretty much stops us.

Can you imagine what a cluster f of a lawsuit and PR nightmare that would cause if we tried to deny an Applicant was "black?"

The policy is to avoid any conflict or potential issues, so we just accept what he applicants put on their forms.

>A company would rather have a token than someone who is better than that person on paper if they are deficient in diversity.

Also, for us to qualify for certain Government contract bids, we have to fulfill a "diversity" requirement to even be a part of the quote.

is this a meme?

"i've been a bum the last 5 years, but i want this second chance to improve my life and do the best i can!"

'i like your truthfulness you son a gun, you're hired!!!'

sounds like nonsense.

Of course. As I've said, you can say you are part black and we wouldn't challenge you on it.

It's just a quota requirement for us. It's not our fault if the applicant lied and we hired you in good faith.

Literally just lie. Say you were part of a now defunct bulgarian mobile development company. That you did a brief stint as a freelancing doujinshi artist. Lie and say you were at some state school, as long as it isnt ivy league the chances of them looking it up are nil. Lie on your resume.

Can i lie and say i have a degrre plus work experience, i know the stuff but just wondering (programming)

Tell them you were travelling/backpacking.

Yes, it's actually real. I put down that I'm Hispanic though.

I understand the mixed race angle, but black? That demands more bravado.

Have you encountered any poker-faced angloids claiming black on their documents?

I'm going to try it.

either tell the truth or...
do a bunch of mini degrees and online courses
say you were working on those over the past year

any american is qualified for mixed race

it's all about finding the right lie for the company

some are glad to hire travellers, others prefer someone who was selfemployed

always remember that they are just another disloyal company trying to pay you less than you deserve therefore there is absolutely no need for you to be loyal

Tell them you took a sabbatical year backpacking across X continent, helping out in a commune, taking care of a sick relative. Something non verifiable but vaguely interesting that isn't menacing to whatever position you're applying to.

>Can i lie and say i have a degrre plus work experience

Degrees are easy to check & verify... lying here will get you fired.

>Have you encountered any poker-faced angloids claiming black on their documents?

No. They all claim mixed, which makes it impossible to challenge, but still qualifies for quota rules.

Say you took a year off, due to your new born. Maternity leave.

You do what great business Leaders and politicians do: YOU LIE YOUR ASS OFF!!!

Never mention children in an interview. Myself and a few other hiring managers I know will never consider a person with children for a job opening.

You are already laying the groundwork for excuses why you cant work overtime, weekends, holiday, etc Cant travel for extended periods of time...

Ive even worked a way into my greeting an interviewee on if they have kids so I know in the first 10 seconds of meeting them if this interview is pointless

I'll tell them I'm half nigger half Jew ....

Pathetic

Op, i got my current job by lying about a four year employment gap. All i did was say that i worked at a previous employer for an extra four years.

If you do this you need to rehearse so that they dont sniff you out when they talk about it.

just write "M + M" on your resume pham

You tell them you were:
>traveling around europe.
>living off your crypto earnings xDDD
>held hostage
>sucking dollar dixx
>???
>???

See

It's not a bad combination.

t. nigger jew

Tell them you were participating in unpaid volunteer work for the community examining the effects of mental illness and alcohol abuse.

You don't have to lie you can just say that you decided to take some personal time away from working and that you were able to manage 1.5 years before you needed to look for work. If they ask for specifics, you don't have to elaborate into your personal struggle with addiction.

It is a job interview so if you can demonstrate that you didn't lose all of your knowledge during that time and have managed to stay somewhat up-to-date with the knowledge required for the job you are interviewing for then it should be fine.

For example,

"I see here you took 1.5 years out of the workforce, were you travelling?"

"I decided to take some time out to just take some time for myself. I saw an opportunity after my last job where I could afford to take the time, so I thought "why not?" I have been able to manage 18 months without having to work and now I feel like it's time to come back. I have been keeping an eye on the industry though (insert some references showing that you know what you're talking about and not just winging it)..."

end scene. If the person is really persistent about what you did then just kind of say you did some travelling in the local area, discovered some hiking around your area. NOTE: actually spend a couple of days in your spare time doing something like that so you aren't lying about it when nosy fucks get into your business. It's much easier to slightly bend the truth rather than to outright lie about shit.

>Pathetic

Why? My kids are by far, the #1 reason I miss time from work... that's probably true of most parents.

Same reason why new mothers are always distracted & less productive at work.

fuckin lie
just move up the end date of your last job so it looks like you still work there

I've landed so many jobs like this (whenever I get fired), went from real estate to tech startups

this
also, kek'ed

meth and masturbation kek saw that too

Depending on the work environment. I know managers that look for broken males who likely have bitchy wives and nothing to go home to and focus on work. Guys who usually have small man syndrome, brown nose the managers and compete over other males who don't share the same mentality.

Say you were freelancing