Accounting Degree worth it?

Is accounting a meme degree, Veeky Forums? It seems like almost nobody enjoys what they're doing, and I'm not sure if it's worth toughing it out for a CPA and exit opportunities just to hate myself more if I end up in audit/tax.

Other urls found in this thread:

rossintelligence.com.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

go into finance man

Like what specifically in finance makes sense now I days

Been considering that for awhile, things is I'm academically terrible at stats/higher math classes despite the fact that I enjoy them. I've had accounting as more of a backup plan this whole time, but in all honesty I'm just another one of those "don't know what to do with their career life," anons. Thus, I'm on the fence if I should just try to run to CS/Economics while I can.

bump

finance isnt worth it unless you go to a target school for big banks, otherwise you might as well get that accounting degree

It sucks, but it's not as bad as it seems once you get used to it and the brutal hours won't last forever unless you decide to gun for partner at a public firm. Once you get the CPA and a few years of experience at a big firm, you can go do something else.

Of course, "something else" invariably means doing the exact same thing in the accounting department of some company, so the whole "exit options" meme is a bit deceptive.

Sidebar just got a fucking nope from PwC.

Kill me senpai, why fucking live. EY didn't even interview me....

isn't accounting, replaced by a robot tier? hell i study law and we also have to worry about robots taking a part of the jobs

No. You can make mad dosh without all this stress, but you do have "many opportunities open" for you when you become an accountant and you can also brag about your degree

t. suicidal accountant

*shit. OP had to many questions. I meant to say
>is accounting worth it?
NO.

>is accounting a meme
oh yah definitely, but like I said, it gets you mad smart points to brag about

CPA here. I skipped big four because im not gonna slave. I have never been without work in ten years. I straight up walked out of a job and had another one that month. If you do not want to work insane hours just say you need "work life balance". Sweatshops will immediately balk which is a good thing.

What does the normal work day of an accountant look like? Don't answer in one line, please.

E X C E L
X
C
E
L

What's there to brag about an accounting degree?

balancing the books and fucking your wife faggot

We should have banned these ETH threads from the beginning. It attracted the lowest of the low.

>Doesn't know how to google
>blame the users of the board.

I crunch numbers in excel e'eryday. Crunch and crunch. First job out of uni, making way above average salary for new grads (47k CAD compared to the average of 35k), working towards CPA

I recover mad money for the company though since I'm in auditing. A single accounting degree will land you boring jobs but specialize in IT auditing or risk auditing and the fun stuff starts.

Okay. I'll answer you.

>lots of ad-hoc analysis
>calculating shit all the time, talking to departments about their budgets and give them shit if they waste money
>every month preparing presentations for the management with all the important data
>give management advice
>I worked mostly with Excel, get data out of SAP and play around with it, makes sense of all that mess
>forecasts, trying to cut costs where it is possible, lots of graphs because management is too stupid for numbers
>every quarter a big presentation for the executive board (management goes crazy because they are the ones presenting the numbers and getting shit on)
>every year preparing the financial report according to law
>if you work for a multicorporate enterprise you are going to 'relocate' assets/money all over the world to cut costs or drive efficency (this means going crazy with all the exchange rates)

Okay I thought accountants spend most time using specific accounting software.

Do you meet with every department several times in the year?

>Do you meet with every department several times in the year?

Yes. Well it was the case where I worked. Once a month you talk with the department about costs, budgets, fluctuation and so on. But you also had non-scheduled talks to clarify shit or solve problems.

im a junior at state uni going for accounting and finance, I'm a bookkeeper at a small auto garage and literally enter their checks into quickbooks all day. Do you do a lot of financial modeling. I feel like data entry is what makes people want to jump out of buildings

Depends on your accounting position and what softwares the company uses. You would be surprised how powerful and widely used excel is. For journal entries, smaller companies tend to use quickbooks but bigger ones are switching to oracle or SAP (really beneficial to have knowledge about that. Employers drool over SAP or similar). Analytics is still exclusively excel because it's easy, powerful, and customizable.

Not financial modeling exactly, more determining whether financial systems already in place are working as expected. The modeling is usually done at a higher level by finance department. We here in auditing compare real data to model data and recover lost money

Thanks. Are you talking about SAP Business One?

Accountants will be replaced. They're like lawyers. Both look at mountains of data and think of a solution to a problem. Computers are better for that. GG.

t. Second year accounting student

How the fuck could a robot replace a lawyer? You interpret the law in favor of your client, no robot can do it.
Same shit with accounting. You get your information out of data and make decisions based on them. No system/algorithm/robot can do forecasts/financial modelling like a human.

This is something all these idiots talking about automation and algorithm needs to realise, making decisions based and past data always failed on the long run. The prediction of future events is best done by the human mind, and even we humans are wrong most of the times.

rossintelligence.com.

Robot might be the wrong word but computers and AI can acces all the laws and case law faster than a persom

>muh investment banking

Sure, but can a robot interpret that law and defend their client to the jury and judge? The answer is no. Well, not in the 21st century, anyway.

A huge portion previously was research. You don't need to replace all jobs to have a market become a bloodbath.

true emotional intelligence is what they lack

The guys who make decisions and predictions are the ones at the top of the department/firm. The ocean of number crunchers in the cubicle farm are the ones who stand to lose everything to automation, assuming the hype over automation turns out to be more than an empty meme. The profession will become hypercompetitive as the only available spots will be for individuals whom the partners wish to groom as heirs.

so Veeky Forums today my prof invited me to his office to try and convince me to switch to risk management from hr, i dont particularly enjoy hr and i know risk has potential for loads emone
can anyone offer input?

90% of what lawyers do is read briefs and case law for cites and shit, and write same.
robots can read ALLthe law and case law in seconds to find stuff related.
yeah it's not going to replace the 10% of court room drama shit, it's just going to make it so most rank and file lawyers as useless.
Sort of related
This has already happened with architects, to build big weird shaped buildings you used to need huge field teams field with rows and rows of draftsmen to do all the structural calculations. Now one guy with a specialized computer modal software does that,

Yes, it is a meme degree you fucking faggot, literally you are a score keeper, your job is to stare at a screen and crunch numbers until your fingers bleed in excel. Your job will be replaced in the next three years by a robot. Financing however, you get paid to guess everything.

Hr? Isn't that a degree for women?
Loling at your life queer

Go auditing for a non-Big 4 company. Don't buy into the meme that you need to be a drone for Big 4 for your resume. I got with a great midsized firm and I'm pretty happy desu, even during busy season

OP here, thanks for the responses, I guess I'll stay in this field for now and try to switch into maybe IT Audit or Forensic Accounting, without wageslaving too much in the process.

Eh, tax law guy here. I know some accounting, because tax law is about the accounting laws.

If I had to do it again I would not studying anything that leads to time consuming jobs. And I would not study anything that isn't clearly fun. Sure, you can get lured in by the wage, but you will have to put in the extra hours. And no boss is going to make you rich. If you want real money you still have to start something for yourself in your own time.

But if you have to choose between accounting and tax law I would certainly pick tax law. Not only do you end up higher in the hierarchy, but you can also work in other fields if you so desire, as most fields of law are somewhat interchangeable.

The SLP or the Internship?