Had a scary moment today. My car started to just accelerate with no cause...

Had a scary moment today. My car started to just accelerate with no cause. I started riding the break but that overheated.
What would have caused that. I was afraid I was going to ram the rear end of the semi in front of me.

Attached: 33956B8E-3B17-4798-8F6D-4F8DD74E78C8.jpg (852x1136, 284K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jalopnik.com/5371337/how-to-stop-your-toyota-floor-mats-from-killing-you/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Check what could have caused your throttle to stick open, whether it was a faulty potentiometer if drive by wire or something as dumb as something caught in the throttle butterfly valves

Is it a diesel?

It like lasted 3 minutes, and the wheel caught on fire when was able to finally find a place to pull off onto, shift it into neutral, and stop.

Press the clutch pedal to the floor next time. Idiot.

Oh I'm sorry, you got an autotragic like a woman? There's no fix for that.

No

>autotragic
still should have been able to shift it into neutral and shut the engine off

I did

kek

I used to have a saturn sc2 that did something similar a couple times. It would accelerate up to 35 or so without touching the gas, but would die when stopped, so I had to put it in neutral and feather the gas at lights. Simply turning it off and back on fixed it though, and I ended up selling it before bothering to figure it out.

>what is neutral gear

Attached: 1518318207128.jpg (645x773, 56K)

I had a 2001 Durango that this happened to me in.
Accelerated all the way to 75 by itself, threw the bitch in neutral, coasted about 400 yards into a home depot parking lot.
Pulled the throttle assembly apart and apparently the absolute shit 1/16th thick piece of plastic that separated my filter from the body had broken off and made the butterfly valve stick open.1

>hitting a woman while she's down
savage

maybe a faulty throttle position sensor

you put it in neutral and cut the car off and it still kept accelerating?

Attached: image.jpg (345x410, 44K)

What car was it

This fucking happened to me. Throttle cable got caught on the radiator hose, thought I was gonna blow my engine. Spooky stuff.

>implying diesel runaway will occur in a remotely well-maintained car engine

Did anyone imply the engine was well maintained?

I don't think it's possible for an automotive engine to be so badly worn that it would run away without failing somewhere else first.

I’d rear end her if you know what I mean...

Iac plungers get gummed up/broken/frozen and do that sometimes, it's either closed or open, no steps in between. Seen a couple new aftermarket throttle bodies do that too that just needed to have a burr knocked off the inside of the Iac opening because it was causing the plunger to hang.

Iac, vacuum lines, throttle valve actuator, throttle cable bracketry, cruise control module. Check for loose battery cables and loose engine/body grounds also.

Tbh, all it really take is an o ring in the turbo to fail and then it just runs off the engine oil

Ouch

What kind of car? I had a 67 Impala that did that. It end up being a broken motor mount.

>drive auto
>put into neutral
>nothing happens because you have to stop to change to neutral/parking

Sauce on her

maybe you have a faulty floor mat

jalopnik.com/5371337/how-to-stop-your-toyota-floor-mats-from-killing-you/

I always think about this while i'm driving

at least you handled it ok