What does Veeky Forums think of VW? I just took a Golf GTI for a test drive and thought it was really nice...

What does Veeky Forums think of VW? I just took a Golf GTI for a test drive and thought it was really nice. Am I missing anything?

Attached: GTI-18-0633-Dig_3x2.png (1920x1280, 1.11M)

It's shit

It's the best daily under 30k. (New)

Or it would be if we lived in a world where the Civic Si and Focus ST didnt exist

And Mustang and WRX.

OP here. I've driven both of those cars too. The Focus ST has the worst clutch I've ever felt in a car. The Civic SI is great, but the GTI has a not insignificant power advantage. The WRX is really nice.

VW is okay, bought a few months ago a Passat Variant 2.0TDI with 3000kms.
Quiet fun on the Autobahn, you don‘t even notice when you hit 220kmh. Solid car, would recommend.
Golf is also solid, although a bit to small for my taste.

Made in tacoland

Its a great car but after 80k miles expect to pay six figures if something breaks

test drove a manual and dsg equipped 17s a few weeks back.. loved em.. wanna get some seat time in an R but then seen the new corolla hatch debut.. not saying even slightly close performance wise but reliability and effeciency would destroy a base golf so idk.. moving to socal so im in no hurry atp

Repair costs are higher due to more complicated design and specialty tools. The intake ports will get carbon buildup. Electrical system can be eccentric.

Other than that, they are great. Probably the best hot hatch at that price point. If you want a sedan is between the civic and the WRX obviously.

The civic transmission is beautiful one you flash the ecu to kill the rev hang.

Civic si is good, so is the ST. However, the gti beats it in ergonomics, build quality, and styling. The st is crap on the interior and both the si and st look like ricer cars. If you're getting a daily, it's either gti or Mazda3.

I don't care about sedan vs. hatch. So Golf GTI vs. Civic SI vs. WRX (2.0) for fun?

Wrx is the funnest but also the worst of the three as a daily. Ask yourself what do you really need. If you really want fun, you'd get a 2 door rwd car. Gti is a perfect all around vehicle. That may or may not resonate with you

WRX is the best daily in Northern climates since it winters a lot better.

snow tires and fwd great

Hyundai i30 N

Snow tires and AWD is better and more fun. Bigger issue with the SI is ground clearance.

Fantastic car all around and by far best hatchback for the money with tons of legroom for power, I have a 15 DSG running 404hp and can not have any better.

Civic Si is way more practical and overall nothing to knock, WRX is fantastic but closer to its rally roots then needed for a daily

Focus is shit
Ford is shit

GTi all the way for anything but rallycross WRX comes up ahead there

New i30N/Veloster N looks promising but honestly at 400+ on the Golf I would only ever trade up to a A3/RS3 platform with awd

I have a Polo GTI and it’s pretty good, it’s so cute and tiny and fast. As with any fwd car you’ll want a nice stiff rear sway bar for the twisties

Attached: E26FEFF1-5A51-45D5-8E94-42F84F6DBB5A.jpg (750x750, 247K)

go for the Alfa Romeo Giulietta cloverleaf

Veeky Forums can't cope with how great of an all-around vehicle this is, on top of the ridiculous tune numbers.

What size whels and tyres are those?
Nice car btw

17” rims, 215/45 tyres
Thanks c:

You're right about the ST clutch, stock it feels worse than the base Focus with a 5 speed. You can buy a different assist spring that makes it much better though

Just as i tought
215/40 r17 are the corect size
Why are you runing larger tyres thats ilegal

I would give both of my nuts if I could get this in the States.

I really wish they'd bring the Polo to the States.
Hatchbacks seem to be getting up in popularity, so maybe in the future.

They’re legal cause they’re within the +/- 15mm tolerance for my state. I wanted to go larger but the shop guy schooled me on size, they were cool guys, did my springs and sway bar too
Technically I did because chemical castration :^)
Yeah I was surprised when I learned you couldn’t get them there. It’s sorta like get a Polo GTI or a Golf R; Golf GTI seems kinda redundant

Does anyone know if I can order the eurospec "Brescia" wheels in the US from VW?
Or will I need to shell out the money to some random dude on eBay?

They look so much nicer than the garbage we got.

Attached: Golf_gti_clubsport_007.jpg (1024x768, 99K)

Volkswagens aren't bad, they're just nothing special. A little overpriced because of it, but they're probably the best bet if you have no interest in cars, or are likely to share it with someone who has no interest in cars.
That said, anything in that price range isn't really exciting or luxurious, so you won't lose out anything better.

Such a valuable experience. You literally just described the bare minimum expectations of a car.

A FWD hatchback isn't fun. Period. Buy something cheaper now so you can save up for something actually worth having.

You maybe haven’t driven a fun one? Mine is tiny and nimble as fuck and has grip for days

I have the classic polo tdi with some electronic and mechanical upgrades, I was too poor to afford the gti sadly, it’s still fun tho

GTI is probably one of the best value purchase in the USA right now. DSG models are MSRPing for less than $25k, manuals $23k. They make almost 400 torque reliably with nothing more than a tune that costs $600. It’s fast as fuck and track ready out of the box