How worried about this should I be? Is there a simple way to seal it to prevent further rust?

How worried about this should I be? Is there a simple way to seal it to prevent further rust?

Attached: MVIMG_20180324_091631.jpg (2954x2109, 1.37M)

Attached: MVIMG_20180324_091643.jpg (3024x2228, 1.28M)

sand the place clean, apply basic rust coat and then paint

you can't really just cover it with something to stop the rust. you have to dig it out and then seal the clean metal

How is water getting in there?

Take that piece of shit to the scrapyard

I don't know. It sits outside when I'm away for work and it's been raining a lot recently.

>e36
it's totaled. buy a better car.

Looks like entire panel or whole side is made of (thicc) layer of bondo. Time for bodyshop visit or sell ASAP

Car has obviously been repaired and repainted there. Moisture got behind the filler, causing rust and it's pushing it out, it'll get a lot worse over time.

That's an odd place to see rust. Has it had a really shitty accident repair?

I know it's not 100% but the Carfax was clean. How can I check for repairs/Bondo?

Or the car wasn't crashed and the window seal above is perished and it's leaking behind the metal.

>obviously
How can you tell

The seals are in awful shape.

U see this kind of crap weekly - i paint cars for living.
When the layer is too thick, it starts to crack and thats how it starts. Its obvious that its made of bondo, see little pinhole above or rough or too champfered edges?
Take a screwdriver and take this crap off, you will see real damage- to panel and metal. Either way, it must be grinded or ripped off because it traps water at this point and damages further.

I got similar thing but it's a tiny little rust spot basically a rock chip my paint how do I repair that? I don't want my car to rust apart

>but the Carfax was clean
Doesn't mean shit if stuff doesn't get reported.

That problem you have is why people buy touch up paint to touch up any paint chips before they gather water and road salts that cause it to rust. You'll have to wash the area to make it free of waxes, oils, grime, and salts. Then remove the rust by using either scraper tips (dremel abrasive burnishing tips) or sandpaper that is folded so only a tiny amount of surface contact results. No need to sand an area. If you are patient with tools, you won't scratch anything outside the chip area. I've never used sandpaper as it is too "big" but other people have used a hole punch to punch out sandpaper dots that they glue to the eraser end of a pencil. That gives them a little control.

I've never had to clean out rust since I inspect all cars regularly and touch up chips as needed. So they don't get a chance to rust.

A dissection pin (plastic handle with needle end tip) would be useful to scratch out the rust on a tiny chip. There's no way to really sandpaper such tiny things. And you'll have to crunch down some of the paint edges because there is rust underneath that paint. That makes the chip crater a little larger, but it has to be done before applying touch up paint.

Dab a little bit of touch up paint onto aluminum foil and seal that touch up bottle back up so it doesn't dry out. Then use a wooden toothpick to push the paint into the little spot without blobbing or smearing. If you put too much, wipe it all off and start over with the touch up paint. It may take several thin applications to build the surface level in the little crater up to be flush with the rest of the painted surface.

Attached: Race_queen.jpg (720x1080, 205K)

Somethings been repaired there and the rust has returned or come through, take it to a proper bodyshop, you might have to fork out decent coin, but you'll be at ease.

get a digital paint thickness mesuring device. if the readings are like two times the factory spec or more then its bondo'd

Someone obviously did a crappy repair on that previously. This I'd big trouble and should be fixed immediately

Putty is cracking