What does Veeky Forums think of Banksy?

hack

5/10 It's Okay

meh

neat but overrated

getting real bored of tracey emin, damien hirst and banksy

just a criminal, both a vandal and a plagiarist

A terrific marketer.

Plus he had the benefit of having a very wealthy/well connected benefactor/patron.

I think his artwork is easy to grasp, translates well to social media, and is lazily ironic, and the sad part is that he perfectly states where we are culturally with regards to art.

He perpetuates the popular consumer icons he pretend to be criticizing, and by doing it outside the traditional art world, shows the devaluation of icons, critique, and the art world itself. After his death he will be elevated to Andy Warhol levels of "importance," showing that while everything else said about him in this thread is true, there was really no one else better encapsulating the zeitgeist of the past decade or so thru art.

Also, Shepard Fairey wishes he were Banksy so bad.

Overrated in terms of street art, it's pretty standard fare. I guess the geographic breadth of his work added to a sense of mystique that he became able to capitalise on.

I don't know whether stuff like Dismaland is overrated or underrated, haven't really read any criticism of it, and the media attention it got that I read was pretty shallow.

>Shepard Fairey
IMO reprehensible hack who elevates banksy in comparison

2edgy4me

meh

why do westerners hate their own culture so much? even as far as making mockery of their own traditional fairytale? you won't find that in asia

Why are asians such slave races that a playful jab at a clean commercial retelling of a traditional German story is seen as an attack on culture?

That's actually kind of interesting, I wonder what he means by this

>implying it's not a fairytale version of the death of Princess Diana, with the mocking being against the journalists more interested in photographing the mess rather than helping her

didn't look at the photographers tbqh
didn't see they were in costume too
genuinely embarrassed

Asians are just subservient.

Specifically, biker costumes, like the journalists chasing her before the crash.

yeah, I realised that after your first post

Princess Diana. The media made her into a fairytale princess and were there at her death

To be fair, i only noticed the cameras, it wasn't until you said that they were in costume that I double checked and saw they were all bikers too.

he's kinda bland

mint
sums up most street art though

I don't understand what's so great about. I find the fountain more interesting.