What is it with these fucking things?

Why do they put them right where your wheels end up in the lane?

I live in Denver and they're not even flush, but recessed a few inches into the ground, literally like hitting a bigass pothole every half a block. That or you swerve for them like a madman.

I had to buy a secondary shitbox so i didn't feel like fucking killing myself every time I drove down the street, and it's developed some horrible suspension clunk after 10k miles.
It's just absurd, couldn't they put the things in the middle of the lane or in the bike path or some shit

Attached: 66927457-metal-manhole-covers-on-the-road.jpg (1300x975, 291K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R6fPYgsnfXE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i know Denver roads are particularly shitty too, but like even on 2 lane roads that haven't been repaved since their conception,
they put the fucking hole right in the path of either your right or left wheels

Where's the best Mexican food there? Denver is the place I learned to hate Subarufags.

fuck if i know nigga, i get a steak burrito to-go from 3 Agaves every once in a while, it's like $9 but it goes nicely with a tallboy of pibber

pittsburgh is like this too, driving on the roads here is absolutely miserable

no sense in buying a nice vehicle since it doesn't matter what you drive, your drive quality will be awful.

poor infrastructure planing and design
same reason we still have overhead power lines that continue to get knocked out every year during storm seasons, instead of being buried underground where it would be safe from everything except amateur excavators

you think YOU have it bad

Attached: potholecountry.jpg (1024x768, 390K)

Cactus flower is decent, but that's out in Pueblo. (family out there)

Also cost. Much cheaper immediately to run overhead lines than to bury them. Sure it might cost more in the long run, but that's the next guy's problem.

youtube.com/watch?v=R6fPYgsnfXE

That's a manhole cover repair. Old, loose cover wears out and settles. So it makes a 'ban' when people drive over it.

But in my town, they screw with even the new ones. Following a road paving job, they cut all the (brand new) manhole covers out and install a seal/re-tamp the asphalt. Brand new road surface. I drive over it and think "Good jerb getting the manholes level." A few weeks later, they bring in the dig-up crew*, re-do the covers and now they are all "THUMP, THUMP".

REEEEEEEEE!!!!

*Probably a subcontractor that hires illegals.

>a 'ban'
a 'bang'

>double posting to fix a spelling error
>spaced, capitalized, and punctuated like a true transplant
you could try to fit in or people are gonna call you out evertim

Oh fuck.
Are you me?

I dunno, do you hate Pueblo?

Asphalt sinks, and sags.

Massive underground pipes, and drainage systems do not.

Or you could just straddle/avoid them

Why is it Americans drive straight into obstacles that are obvious to everyone else in the world? You can have a 6 lane highway with barely any traffic and if you break down on it you are guaranteed to have some sheboon or truck driver slam into you for no reason

are you retarded? you europoors should know better than anyone

when you're driving down the road in Denver or any other major city you can't exactly swerve or "straddle" them because the lanes are narrow as fuck and you are "centimeters" from the car next to you

then there's homeless in the 12 inch wide bike lane

the manhole covers are below the level of the asphalt you fuck

pueblo confirmed fucking spic ridden shithole

>you could try to fit in
I shan't.

Yeah, Pueblo sucks. Beat to shit buildings filled with hicks that don't look much better. And the air kills me coming from the west coast.

>Or you could just straddle/avoid them (ie, if out of bread, eat cake)
Not any of the other posters, but I cannot shift my car over without scaring cars in other lanes which might make them have an accident. There isn't enough lane room.

>And the air kills me coming from the west coast.
On the west coast, the air coming from across the pacific ocean is already smoggy due to China's pollution.

Yeah, but at least it's damp.

Let me explain this. I work with a street department.

The manholes are below the road for snowblows mostly. The engineers and City thinks that your suspension isn't worth the price of snowplow repairs when they catch one of these babies going twenty+ mph. That's the same reason for meter covers on water, gas, phone access etc. Yes they could have them flush with the road. But that doesn't last long because the asphalt expands and contracts ( rising and lowering) while the covers don't. So boom goes the snowplow. Or pop goes your tire cause you have a manhole lid sticking two inches above the road

They're in the middle of the road because that's the only place the utilities will fit. You usually have sewer, water, storm drain, phone, fiber, gas, and power running down the streets. Every City is different and has different easements for utilities.

So deal with it bitch bois

That makes sense

I live in Denver too, and I absolutely hate that too!
They are everywhere and unavoidable - so frustrating!!

Didn't / doesn't anyone building the road infrastructure think to run them through the center of the lane? Or, better yet, in the sidewalk the way they do in Europe?

Attached: pothole-bent-wheels.jpg (600x300, 31K)

>are you retarded? you europoors should know better than anyone

Not Europoor but I guess I should know better seeing as the manhole rises and detents are probably the most unobtrusive of our fucked up roads.

>when you're driving down the road in Denver or any other major city

I have never driven in Denver but I have driven in many major cities across the globe and most everyone everywhere except Americans tend to avoid potentially damaging obstacles in the roads no matter how thin their lanes are. If there is something that prevents you from avoiding it everyone slows down. Americans just crash through them.

>Swerve

No need to swerve if you were looking where you were going.

What kind of twilight zone do you live in?

Kek. You know they are there. You know what they look like. Yet you still hit them hard enough to bend a wheel.

You think colorado is bad, our state is literally a giant cluster kernel fuck

Attached: border-war-welcome-to-illinois-sign.jpg (763x526, 440K)

This. Fuck this semen slurping state.

i HATE it here.

Ok fuckers here's a nice little diagram for illustration

pictured is a typical scene on any surface road within the Denver metro
I hope you can extrapolate what my fucking problem is

Attached: manhole_covers.jpg (502x659, 35K)

Ok fuckers here's a nice little diagram for illustration

pictured is a typical scene on any surface road within the Denver metro
I hope you can extrapolate what my fucking problem is

Attached: manhole_covers.jpg (457x555, 29K)

nicely scaled

>We are a bunch of stupid Americans who cannot figure out how to avoid a recessed manhole cover or to not crash into it at full speed.

We have manhole cover problems here too. And pothole problems and people driving in your lane straight at you problems but some how even the nigs don't bend a wheel on stationary obstructions.

You are supposed to be intelligent, so why don't you behave like it?

This place called Chubby’s

Tamale Kitchen if you're poor or

what's so fucking hard to understand, there's literally no room to go around them even in a midsize car, these things are 3ft across and placed right where your wheels ride in the lane

there's 10 of them every city block, you can't exactly slow down to 10mph for them in dense 45mph traffic

Have a (you). Pretty decent bait, however I'd only give it a 7/10. This post was too edgy for its own good.

It actually costs more to run in the ground.
You need thicker cables etc.

That's what I meant. It costs more up front to run underground. I'd wager that the long term cost is less though, especially in lightning-prone areas or areas with lots of trees.

>the manhole covers are below the level of the asphalt you fuck
not when the ground around it sinks and the manhole and its supporting structure stays still.

Probably to benefit the automotive repair jewish lobby, everything is connected, goy.

This. Low tax states just hire a bunch of Mexicans to build things and maintain the city. You should see how fucked up Arizona roads are, not just with maintainence (no lines on some roads, potholes, etc) but the actual planning is fucking retarded. There are major freeway interchanges that cut down to one lane and pull a sharp 180° turn. I've literally seen people dead on the side of the road getting worked by medics because of this shit. Meanwhile California has awesome roads, all the stoplights have sensors, and the freeways are easy to navigate (there are freeways here that run north/south but say east/west, yes it's THAT retarded).

Well, they only care about being able to get to/from Mexico, so...

Spent a year in MA. Can confirm that the roads are sheet.

Attached: imgur.gif (610x862, 277K)

>be country bumpkin
>roads all fucked from farm traffic quarry traffic and flood damage

I love seeing shitty slickers come fuck up their cars cos they want a romp on country roads. Even better when they go off the road down a verge

based stance fag land mines desu

Live in Mississippi for two minutes and you'll know what true pain is. It's like nobody told the government about asphalt.

>Be Wisconsin
>Experience the same weather as Illinois
>Don't even roll the roads
>Still have better roadways

Tat explains low manhole covers. Now explain high ones. I think the latter are just shit installation.

>live in Ohio
>complain about how shitty the roads are
>go to Michigan for a day to visit the Henry Ford museum
I’ll never complain about Ohio roads again

Park ave is like the only shitty road in Denver. It used to be oretty shit but those weed dollars got siphoned to roads instead if schools through loopholes. In 2014 their roads were really shit. The like 2015 roads would get repaved overnight it seemed.

Either park ave or broadway i know what road youre talking about though. Its in downtown, concrete and the manholes are like 2 inches below the surface.

lol
It's the opposite here in LA, they rarely resurface the roads (cause that would fuck up the already fucked up traffic), so the road sinks while the iron juts above. Great when you go over them in a low car.

bro it's literally every road in the metro area

I'm mostly down by DU so maybe it's worse there or something
Evans is a fucking nightmare

Atlanta's are worse. You guys don't know good you have it.

just drove to LA actually and noticed that, i was constantly thinking "how the fuck are there so many stancefags here with intact oil pans"

Going to Aurora east of 25 yeah, but because you're going to Aurora. Southeast Denver is pretty much the ghetto now.

>Or, better yet, in the sidewalk the way they do in Europe?
Yuropean here, we put them in the road.
On the position motorbikes are supposed to ride, including in corners.
It's fucking lethal.

That rarely ever happens. It's usually the other way around for whatever reason.

That’s what you get for being a cancerous city fag

Some people work

I think it ends up being different heights because the manhole (a vertical concrete tube) and the road sink into the ground at different rates and while the road gets repaved its kinda hard to add more length to the tube.

stancefags btfo

Pretty much. Manholes will usually access sewer lines which can usually get deep. Most contractors just throw dirt back in the hole without proper compaction, and compacting dirt around a large man sized pipe sticking straight up and down isn't easy. So over time everything settles, including the asphalt.