Hey Veeky Forums

hey Veeky Forums

all i want to do in life is make games for a living. incredibly badly so. how do i get by while building a name for myself? is it possible to take out a loan to pay bills for a year so i can self teach? i would only need 10-15k... is that something people do? probably not, right? i couldn't really put up a collateral.

>mfw no UBI

help

People work for a living and peruse their dreams aftwards all the time. You aren't too good to work you little snowflake. Either your parents let you mooch, or you have to work. No one is going to loan you money to lay around and NEET it up.

>No one is going to loan you money to lay around and NEET it up.
This. With no income or collateral, why would anyone loan you money?

> is it possible to take out a loan to pay bills for a year so i can self teach? i would only need 10-15k... is that something people do?

well there are lots of glorified stories of startup founders racking up credit card debt like that. desu i dont know what happens if you dont make it back, guess your credit is destroyed and ??? profit?

Yes, tell them you want to borrow 15k so you can pay bills. Oh, and don't forget to mention you have no job and don't plan on working this year

guise guise, there has been a grave misunderstanding here. i do have a job. but it takes up all of my time and i barely make enough to get by, so no chance of saving up a bit and working during vacations.

That doesn't really change the situation with regard to getting a loan which you would then use to live off of.
>it takes up all of my time and i barely make enough to get by,
Then you need to find a way to free up more time and/or reduce your living expenses.

You probably have a better chance by working for a game company for a few years then peeling off with a couple of people you trust to start a small company together. You'd need to save something to bring to the table while you work for said company, of course. If you all brought equal parts to the venture it would be more affordable.

You could even split a house with said people and drive the business out of the home. I've know people who were in other lines of business who did things like this.

The truly best option is to just do it while you work. I really doubt someone who is just getting by doesn't have the time to do this. Unless you have children or some other obligation based time sink. You have to find the time, even when it isn't there. You want to come home after work and just watch netflix because you're tired? Well if you want your dream, you'll work on that fucking game. Life like that isn't easy, but if you really want it you can do it.

banks won't give you a loan for this because even with nothing to distract you and all the time in the world there's a better than 90% chance you'll fail.

Noone would give you a loan for this. So if this really is your dream and you think you are passionate enough to do this you just have to take (almost) all of freetime and spend it learning and developing. This is your only chance to get in this business.

(Or you can try to follow the Veeky Forums memes and invest in cryptos until you have enough to live off for a few years)

Read Masters of Doom senpai, its a book for you.

Also, Unreal 4 or bust. Don't be a unity script kiddie

What are your favorite games, yes I will judge you.

i mean i think the correct way to go about this would be to try to get a business loan from a bank. use credit cards only if you have to.

by the way, op, are you an artist or programmer? do you use discord or twitter? you seem interesting, i wanna follow you

fucking banks, i thought they give any retard a loan for shits and giggles?

i have a bit of programming background and i'm already a skilled artist + some 3d modelling skills. that's why i think i could really get something worthwhile going if i had just like a year of focused productivity.

will have to pick that up, the doom story is inspiring af for sure (i'm no carmack high iq genious though)

what's wrong with unity? everyone tells me to get into that. unreal4 engine looks intimidating.

wc3 for the editor. never experienced a state of flow comparable to what i got when i was making wc3 maps and problem solving coding issues. that's why i know i'd be the happiest man alive if i got this dream of mine going. and i'd be good at it, i'm absolutely sure of that.

don't really have other fav titles, as i don't enjoy playing so much strangely. was semi pro at sc:bw back in the days.

>try to get a business loan from a bank
I would guess there's 2 people on Veeky Forums that could actually qualify for a business loan.

they're considerably more difficult to get than regular loans. Generally you have to already have a profitable business that holds assets worth at least the value of the loan.

i am an artist. should maybe have mentioned that. full time even. no idea how i pulled that off but i did. don't make a killing though. bit of programming skills too from getting my feet wet. wish i had anything to give you to follow me on but don't really have anything and am too shy to share art website

How good looking are you op?
Out of 10

Bad advice. Great games are also released with unity. Also it's a lot easier to get into componentbased engines like unity and get hired after sufficent skill increases.

my cousin got a business loan and he's a youtuber

would you email me the art website? im a game developer always on the lookout for good artists to work with so im really curious.

also definitely unity over unreal. the only thing unreal has going for it is its graphic engine.

>my cousin got a business loan and he's a youtuber
yeah, did he tell you that?
lol

My brother used to go cow tipping until he found out that's not a real thing.

i'm part of the business. i'm on the legal documents with a ridiculous title i chose for myself (which i dont even remember but i tried to come up with something over-the-top professional-sounding). contract between he and i also says i'm to be paid in fast food, but that part might not have been given to the bank.

to be fair, he was already making money and a modest living when he got the loan.

well at least your an art fag not a programmer. It would be a damn shame if you were actually programming them and designing them.

The reason it's so difficult to get is that either the business is a sole proprietorship so the 'business' loan is actually a personal loan,
or the business is a corporation and the loan will only be backed by the assets of the corporation.

In the first case a 'business' loan is very easy to get but it's not really a business loan at all.

The second type is essentially impossible to get without a corporation holding assets equal to the value of the loan. Which of course almost nobody here has.

>20 dolla bj's
>2 per day
>~15k/year
Ez

>i am an artist
>full time even
>skilled artist
Just give it up. Your ideas are shit and so are your skills. What's your medium of art?
>drawing /sketching
You make minimum wage to match your minimum skill. You literally have nothing going for you.
>id be good at it
>has no knowledge of set skills it takes to make games
>10-15k
So pretty much your yearly with overtime?
Get the fuck off this board until you're ready to invest in trumpcoin you incompetent cuck. Take your trash art with you.

Try kiva.org or a kickstarter.

Great games like NFS World that were made by AAA studios with hundreds of people maybe. Your average indie unity game is a mash up of copy pasted environments, models and bad javascript code.

>mein negger

Are you a programmer or a graphic designer/artist? Just use upwork to get you by...if you're not either of those I don't know what you mean by making games

Kikestarter. Whore yourself on the Social Jew, get a following, then have normies give you your first $10,000 for your sweet vidya idea.