I own a body/paint/repair shop. AMA

I own a body/paint/repair shop. AMA

Attached: 1504911759186.jpg (536x800, 28K)

Do you also do the paintless dent repair meme?

no i sublet that out. they actually make a lot of money, if they chase storms. not a bad skill to learn

it seems really dead in here kek

No, it's just that the majority of Veeky Forums can't afford repairs of any kind

this is why you have insurance though. a lot of shops can help with your deductible if its an accident going thru insurance. a lot of people think they have to pay 2 deductibles, one for their car and one for the third party. makes me giggle

I've got some small bare metal spots on that little black lip over the license plate situated just above that little strip of chrome. How would I repair my paint and stop it from degrading?

Attached: 800px-Lexus_LS430_rear.jpg (800x435, 98K)

Can I get a discount?

how many pesos you make a year?

How much to respray my $3K civic?
(Not memeing)

How much do you make a year? Do you ever want smash a panel in and say fuck it because it's too hard to repair perfectly?

are u sure its metal? those license moldings are usually plastic. to repaint that would be too expensive since the shop has to mix paint just for that. i dont know that theres anything you can do without having to paint it. I guess you could touch up the spots. the dealer might sell those touch up pens

Okay so I’m buying a car that has supposedly sat under a tree for a while and it has some type of weird paint issue that I can’t even really piece together. It looks like someone spray painted it, however the rest of the paint is perfect and the owner says it’s clear coat damage. Have you ever encountered clear coat damage that wasn’t obvious? (As in clear coat bubbling and actually peeling)

sure i give discounts all the time
uhh i gross about 180k per month which is really low volume for a shop tbqh
for my shop, quite a bit because we trim everything off the car, handles, mirrors, any moldings, etc. also u need to fix any damage u have on the car otherwise a new paint job will bring it out more. If u paint it at maaco u will regret it in a year
im not sure how much i net but my shop has a savings account of about 400k. second part question, never cause il send a supplement to the insurance company to replace it and most times they do. ( I do 95 percent insurance work)

Where you at my 3k civic with a few simple mods needs some dents beat

yea the tree sap is common, usually you can buff it out if it hasnt been burned too deep in the clear. but it looks like dull dots everywhere not spray paint. the guy definitely had it repainted somewhere badly. bad paint jobs are a bitch to deal with.

I have like 100 small touch up jobs I need to do on my shitbox. Would I be better off with the smallest spray gun I can find or an airbrush?

You ever sprayed machine gray from mazda? It has a color tint costing 1700 euro per liter.

how much would it cost to get my truck painted a ford factory color? the interior would need to be painted as well.

Attached: IMG_20160807_193430.jpg (4160x3120, 2.59M)

Too much

not enough

Ho lee fuk u r still around

apparently. I have become /k/ now though

Attached: IMG_20171101_131626056_HDR.jpg (3264x1836, 1.58M)

What questions should I be asking when I go to get my car painted a different colour? What’s the best way to pick a good shop?

You should stick that Abarth 500 in your tray and drive off

What am I looking at to respray and fix tiny rust spots and chips on my shitbox Miata, hardtop included

I think your truck is bending. Glad you're not shitting up /dbt/ anymore.

Is painting as difficult as it seems?

I have half a mind to buy an HVLP spray gun and repaint my rear bumper but i'm afraid of fucking it up.

Attached: 1492269188047.jpg (2210x610, 155K)

bump

Where are you located?

>AMA

Attached: Begone.jpg (396x382, 41K)

Insurance would total my RX7 for the dent I have on the edge of my door.

It'll fuck up your lungs if you don't have the right gear.

Does US use some norm hour software or its all just your local prices? Europe uses WINCABAS for such things.
Paint sniffing East Yuropoor bro over here

I have door dings and paint chips. Seriously how much would painting it cost.. same color as before. No rust.. just dings from parking lots and a few bb sized paint chips. It's an average sized sedan.

this
dont paint it a different color. your car has a paint code and if it doesnt match it might be hard to sell later
several grand for any whole car paint jobs at a shop who knows how to paint
very hard, you need to know how to tint color. also the prepping involved is a bitch
depends on the value of your car. usually they total cars when the repairs are over 75% of the value of your car
it depends, if its close enough to the quarter panel/fender/adjacent door it can get expensive because they might have to blend the adjacent panels if its not flat black. anything else they will have to blend

My brother has a VE ute that had paint on the roof eaten away by bird shit. How hard is that to fix? It's black.

What is the best way to pop a dent out of my bumper?

Attached: fuk.jpg (640x480, 215K)

Thanks!

i would leave it
bumpers arent held on by much. you can youtube it for your specific car. but all you need to do is drop the bumper on that side and take a hair dryer and heat up the dent from the inside and you can literally push it back out. you dont even need the hair dryer but its easier to do with the hair dryer

desu if youve never taken a bumper off, i wouldnt do it. you will get frustrated. if your car doesnt have an undershield you can go underneath and try and push it out

But it seems like metal is exposed, wouldn't it rust if he did nothing?

if the metal is exposed he could put some primer over it. honestly it will be hard to find a shop to do uncommon cars like this. Most shops have software that calculates labor rates, parts, etc for common cars. Most shops will probably turn your brother away or refer him to a small shop.

this

A VE ute is increasingly common. What, you think someone would own one outside of Australia?

sounds simple enough even I can do
why?

yeah but if I'm set on ruining the resale value, and bullheaded enough to continue to plan to entirely recolor it myself, what then? Whats the biggest fuckup to avoid?

im a burger so i wouldnt know
it is pretty tough for the average guy to remove and install a bumper. you need tools for clips and such. but in your instance you only need to drop that one side. DONT take the whole bumper off.
so you are going to repaint your car? If youre not a painter, i would highly suggest against that. At the least paint it at maaco. painting a car is a process

I took my Miata in to get some paint work done. The bottom of the door and fenders are a textured paint. The first job the shop did started bubbling up and peeling away all over this textured part of the paint. They re-did the whole side. The second job they did also started bubbling up and peeling away at the chip guard.
Why are they so bad at this? How would you handle this for a customer? I want to ask them to send me somewhere that can actually do the job and have them pay for it.

My brother always did put his twingo for the guys to clean and put car wax, but we've notice since last time, most of the car body got.. coarse (idk how to describe the best word, but it's not as smooth as a normal car should).

What should I do? I honestly just want my twingo to last as long as i can, we try to take good care of it, so Should i just clean normaly and eax them myself? Is there any type of wax i should put on or just any car wax is good enough? What would be the best course of action?

ah, and for the rubber parts om the bumper, after washing it what thing should I pass on them? Some sort of liquid silicone?

Twingo is the same colour as pic related.

Thanks!

Attached: 1519003121537.jpg (3360x5040, 1.07M)

Watched a video and it was two sockets and a flat head screw driver. Didn’t look like rocket science.

Maaco has the worst reviews though.
If the paint jobs I can afford are just going to pay for people who hardly know what they're doing why shouldnt I just do it myself, panel by panel? I also have spots on the body to work on so theyd charge me up the ass on that anyway.

Where are you? Am in Nova, want sonata repainted, hopefully black. Am willing to bust my balls doing all sorts of the prep work to get better price.

If not near me, have suggestions for the Nova area?

are they moldings? im not sure what you mean by textured paint (I think chipguard). textured moldings usually arent painted. the bubbling could be primer not fully drying, basecoat not fully drying, could be a number of things. the shop should have some kind of paint warranty. seems like they just masking the existing problem without fixing it because in order to fix the problem they have to start all over. personally i would redo everything from step 1

i would have someone wet sand and buff the car. sometimes people put on too much wax and it might look coarse cause they didnt "wax on wax off" just wax on
well lets see, you need a basecoat gun and a clear coat gun. you need an air compressor for the guns. you need a lot of sandpaper to scuff your entire car. then you need to mask tape everything (not ideal you want to take everything off otherwise it will leave edges of clear which looks ugly and makes things like handles stick). you need sealer and primer. you have to paint the jambs on most parts other wise when you open the doors or hood you'll see the old color along the edges. you also need to paint inside a room preferably otherwise you get tons of shit inside the clear. im sure im missing a few things but you get the idea. Maaco does suck but they are cheap. shops are expensive
burger

Yup, it is like a chip guard. It looks like this. They did say they had a warranty and would do it again for free, but I don't want to take the car in a third time and have it happen again. They showed me pictures at the time of the car stripped down to nothing, so I'm pretty sure they started from step 1 the second time.

Attached: 45jGorX.jpg (800x800, 252K)

interesting, ive never seen chipguard go up that high usually just on the rocker panels. dont know why it bubbles. bubbling comes from underneath so my guess is it didnt fully dry? or the chip guard has something in it that makes the clear bubble

Some dickhead at school hit my car when it was parked and ran off without leaving any info heres the pic of damage. you mind giving me your assesment?

Attached: 20180328_184848.jpg (4032x3024, 2.61M)

sure. left quarter maybe 3-4 hours repair time. full refinish. rear bumper remove and install with 1 hour repair time and full refinish. will need to take out the quarter panel glass because they will paint the whole quarter panel. also roof molding will need to come out. maybe blend the fuel door. left tail lamp needs to come out. I would say around 700-900 dollars

what a lot of people dont know is that uninsured motorists cover hit and runs. The deductible is usually less than your collision deductible and your rates PROBABLY wont go up since it wasnt your fault. HOWEVER its pretty hard to get the loss type as uninsured motorists without a police report. If this shit happens to you and the damage is excess, call the polic right away and file a report. Most of the time the insurance will cover you under UM if you have a police report. If you dont get one and try to claim UM then the insurance company will likely not cover you under UM. This also depends on which state you live in

Thanks br/o/. I went to a shop and they quoted me 1400. The fender is creased from what I can tell. Would that make a difference in price?

Why did the paint shop insist on a polish after a clay barring? Why not just wax it and be done?

I am the dickhead that bumped your Stang, AMA.

I did file a police report, but my deductible is high and i don't wanna risk getting insurance involved since I just managed to get my insurance reduced. Thanks for the info though.

Why is your head in the shape of a dick?

1400 is a bit excessive unless u live in cali or something. my states labor rates are 44/body 44/paint. also shops tend to give higher estimates to customers who just walk in versus insurance work. Na, the labor includes that crease.

Birth defect.

Unfortunately I do live in commiefornia, in LA no less. Although my insurance broker sent me to the shop. Is it possible what they quoted me is a good price?

Im so sorry, I didn't know. Would you like to hit my car again?

Attached: 1521860588935.jpg (1387x702, 85K)

first of all its fucking illegal for ANYONE to tell YOU where to fix YOUR car. Hes probably getting a kickback from the shop. There is serious fraud and all kinds of shady shit with body shops, chiropractors, lawyers, etc but then again you arent going thru insurance so nvm kek. but yea i think cali rates are like 75/hr so it sounds about right.

>most of the car body got.. coarse
Not OP, but having detailers polish the car all the time can remove the clear coat. The word "coarse" is not good because it can mean anything from simple scratching to disaster. When the paint is exposed, the surface will seem "coarse" after you wash the car since the wax is removed and that exposes the scratches the cleaning guys put onto the car. If all they did was wax with a buffer, the atmospheric grit in the buffer will create a lot of swirl marks. Over time, repeated swirl marks can crosshatch over other swirl marks which also makes a coarse looking clear coat surface. Only you know if there is clear coat or not on the car. If there is clear coat, then just wax it yourselves instead of letting other guys clean and wax it with their shortcuts and gritty buffers and gritty towels.

Don't use more polishes if your clear coat is thin. Just keep waxing it.

I've seen "professional detailers" let their microfiber cloths touch the ground as they wiped and they continued wiping the other parts of the car. This was at the dealership's detailing service which was $160 about 2.5 years ago.

I recommend you wash it yourself. It's not hard if you get a soap dispensing sprayer for the end of your garden hose. The constant stream of fresh soapy liquid lets you gently wipe with a microfiber cleaning tool (it has those soft noodle-like things all over the surface). You then follow up with a synthetic wax such as Meguiar's Ultimate or Turtle Wax ICE. I recommend the liquid versions of either brand. Rubber and plastic is not bothered by the turtle or meg brand synthetic wax and will be protected by it.

Attached: wax_hides_scratches_swirls_kentuckybro.jpg (800x600, 42K)

they only sent me to the shop because ima friend of theirs and my pops knows them personally. I guess im shit outta luck. Appreciate the info anyways br/o/

Not OP, but your small amount of damage can be fixed by PDR and touch up paint applied to the one spot where the original paint might have cracked off.

na it will look like shit. its not exactly small damage and plus it sits right on the body line. it wont look good my dude

I don't know much about auto body repair, but there's a crease in the fender and no way to reach under it without removing the cars' shell itself to get to the crease. P

waxing it only hides the scratches. if your clear is really thin then you need to buff with compound and polish. if your clear is in good shape but with a lot of surface scratches you need to take 3000 grit sandpaper and lightly go over the scratches. then buff using compound and polish THEN wax everything. Although you need to be careful buffing because its very easy to burn thru the clear

I'd like to, but my dad grounded me and took the bimmer away :(

Yiff in hell furropean

how much would it cost to get a few small dents and scratches fixed
also the PO cunt drilled holes into the front bumper for the LP, how much would I need to get that fixed
also does the fact that it's british racing green matter at all, or do all paints cost the same?