Albert Einstein did bad on a math test maybe once in his life when he was 12 so let's tell every single kid that it...

>Albert Einstein did bad on a math test maybe once in his life when he was 12 so let's tell every single kid that it doesn't matter if they fail math because "they still might grow up to be a genius!"

When will this shitty meme die? It's a flat out abuse of history. Einstein got very high math grades his entire life. Yes, his grades fluctuated some when he was younger, like everybody else on the fucking planet, but he was never a failing student by any stretch. In reality if a kid doesn't learn to grasp basic math from an early age, the chances they'll ever be able to learn advanced math are essentially 0.

Other urls found in this thread:

soso.ch/wissen/hist/SRT/E-1907.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw to this day can only manage to to addition and subtraction on the fly

Multiplication, division I understand, simple division I can do but when it comes to thinking out what one number multiplied by another is it kills me.

Lets not even touch higher mathematics plz.

did you grow up with common core?

>advanced math
...so?

Many people can become very successful with basic mathematics and literacy, both throughout history and today.

It's probably not for the best that a society encourage youth to lower the expectations they have for their own education, but everyone doesn't need to know calculus.

Arithmetics and English literacy are all you really need. Throw in some vocational schooling and you're ready to work, retire, and collect social security one day.

If you're otherwise inclined to specialize in a humanities or STEM pursuit, then go to college. Most people just want job training.

>tfw dyscalculia
>tfw can't understand simple division or pre algebra

I was diagnosed with dyscalculia and I have a math degree. Actually, 5 or 6 of the other math graduate students at my school were also diagnosed with dyscalculia.

I'm not making a point about you. I just thought that fact might stimulate some conversation.

Don't you guys get like 2-3 hours added to exam times and shit?

SHHH BE QUIET I'M TRYING TO SHITPOST

It's also shitty history in that it pretends Einstein did it all on his own. He didn't.

Guys like Poincare and Lorentz had basically hammered out Special Relativity already before Einstein published what was essentially a review article without citations.

Einstein didn't work alone on General Relativity either. Marcel Grossmann collaborated on a lot of the papers, especially on getting the math right. David Hilbert did a lot of founding work too, and even published the "Einstein" Field Equations before Einstein did.

Pushing the Einstein myth of the solitary genius creates mistaken assumptions of what science is, how it is done, and puts unreasonable expectations on how scientists should behave.

In theory, schools care about students with disabilities and will reasonably accommodate them.

In reality, getting accommodations like that require students to jump through a ton of bureaucratic hoops like getting retested and proving that your disability is actually a disability and in some cases agreeing to take medication or see counselors or academic advisers at regular intervals.

I never wanted to deal with it in college, but I did get double time on the SAT and GRE.

Not him, but one of the smartest men I've ever known, my former high school chem teacher who took to teaching high school as a sort of retirement job, had...what was it...I think two masters degrees (chem & physics), some incomplete PhD work that life circumstances prevented him from following through with, a handful of BSc's in other sciences, and a family budding with grand children.

All this with dyslexia.

He was in remarkable shape for his age too. We'd guess at around 50 or 60, but by the time I got into my senior year and began taking astronomy with him, the smaller class size created a more intimate setting where he didn't have to worry about teaching kids who didn't care things they wouldn't remember, so our group had more time to just talk. Based of the little life stories he'd tell, he was probably in his mid-70s at least.

Anyway, no, not as severe as Dyscalculia, but some guys really know how to persevere.

>When will this shitty meme die?

When "Everything is possible if you put your mind to it" will as well.

So never.

Maybe "Advanced Math" was the wrong choice of words.

Regardless, if you fail math in elementary school, you're unlikely be successful in future grade levels, and eventually you'll reach a point where you're hopelessly behind your classmates and you can't ever catch up. They'll all be going off to college to learn and get high-paying careers while you're stuck at home with mom & dad for the rest of your life.

>Yes, his grades fluctuated some when he was younger, like everybody else on the fucking plane

lmfao blew yourself the fuck out in your own response. don't worry though son even einstein had a bad shitpost every once in a while

One time he called a carpenter, and asked him to make him two openings in his door for his cats. One larger, one smaller.
The carpenter told him that just the larger one would be sufficient.

>smarter people are very likely to have mental health problems
in other news, water is wet

Yeah and they told me that he couldn't tie his own shoes.

It's just a number of lies that teachers tell their students. There are far worse ones. America's education system is fucking broken, and I don't mean common core, that's a meme distraction.

Did you know Einstein was gay, shat all over himself constantly, and thought the earth was flat?

i honestly do think everyone should know up to calculus.

Higher mathematics actually is simpler than fucking arithmetics. The most bullshit problems in math either arithmetical ones or some bizzare abstract nonsense beyond human understanding.

An organically cultivated notion of calculus is good enough. If a job would require them to graph predictive models of change, it would probably require more than a high school degree anyway.

I honestly believe the college meme has done a disservice to those simply looking to support themselves and a family.

The kind of stories dumbies tell each other.

>graph predictive models of change

All you need for that are a couple of formulas. The biggest problem is that you or your teachers have to be literal retards if you can not learn calc I. You do not even need to understand abstract notions, just learn the damn operations.

>I was diagnosed with dyscalculia and I have a math degree
Were you working super hard to achieve this?

I didn't seem to be working harder than anyone else.

Did you know Einstein wore diapers until he was 30 and couldn't speak until he was 10?

>Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard so you should drop out too if you want to be a successful businessman

>believed in god

partially true

But Einstein was shit at math and physics...
He was a brain worker, more of a philosopher than a mathematician.
He came up with the theories and the ideas to describe the science he observed others observing.

A great genius, we just don't have people like him any more.
You're either an autistic human calculator or you're not allowed to be a scientist.

>hammered out Special Relativity
Didn't Lorenz derive his time dilation and length contraction in the context of aether, which is completely mutually exclusive with relativity theory? I wouldn't really call that "hammering out SR". Though yes, Einstein did take the apparatus of Lorentz contraction because it fit extremely nicely in his theory.

Is it bad that that I want to fugg that nun?

>Einstein derived Lorentz contraction
>Einstein made Minkowski space and Poincaré groups
>Einstein did Michelson-Morley and Ives-Stilwell experiments
>Einstein derived speed of light being constant from Maxwell equations
I know it's a troll image, but some people may take it seriously.

division is kinda difficult for most people man

she's not a real nun, from american horror story season 2

Is it bad that I want her to be a real nun?

Eistein was a compiler.

The joke is that while Einstein did his own work, others who made contributions an came to almost the same if not the same conclusions are never taught unless you take certain university classes. Einstein's name is synonymous with genius while other men of equal significance and intellectual caliber and barely known.

>Einstein's Theory of Relativity cited no references to the works of other scientists

Of course it did, /pol/ fags are so stupid to eat shit like this up:

soso.ch/wissen/hist/SRT/E-1907.pdf

Literally who says this

American teachers.

not in my experience
when I failed in math they just shrugged and told me to work harder.

>just be urself

None of my teachers had advice like that, even the nice ones. It's mostly the parents that do that.

>Yeah and they told me that he couldn't tie his own shoes.

i learned to tie my shoes when i was fourteen, by wearing sweatpants that needed to be tied or risk my pants falling and showing my ass. Guess i need higher stakes to be motivated.

I'm doing my masters now (just finished my 5 year Physics undergrad) and let me tell you that during the first year this was "THE MEME" that clueless kids told each other as encouragement. Needless to say, Physics has the second highest drop-out rate of the school: like 70%. Higher than that is Chemistry.

Math weeded them out.

Can you point to the English version please and list the citations? Its kinda funny how you provided proof but really didn't provide proof.

>He can't read German

Not him but they're in parentheses or in the footnotes, you nigger. Even in the first fucking page you can see he mentions Michelson and Morley ... but you probably don't know who those people are.

Really because when I was in school they told me you can drop out like Bill Gates but only if you work hard, get lucky by circumstance and have money backing you.

Mine told me to git gud. If you really want to get good they told me, learn self discipline and self study.
And I live in fucking Texas. Maybe I just lucked out with my teachers in High School.

Don't be dishonest please.

I like to think that people say that shit because it's true on things that are already out. Given enough time, anybody could learn functional analysis, algebraic topology, number theory, etc. That doesn't mean you will ever be able to prove old conjectures.

>tfw MS in applied mathematics
>tfw panic disorder/crippling anxiety with depression
Veeky Forums is truly my ally. Hiro pls go.

I know that feel, it took me until 9th grade for me to learn to tie my shoes.

That's because I didn't want the other kids in gym class to know that I couldn't tie my shoes (since we had to change into our PE clothes and shoes every day).

I am him. It's funny how polniggers are so retarded they can't even figure out what footnote citations look like. Have you never read a work of nonfiction?

I DO speak German, but I can still find citations in languages I can't read, especially French texts which I encounter frequently in my work.

>He belives the college myth