Which country has the greatest intellectual tradition in Europe

Britain or Germany

in all fields (science, humanities etc.)

Germany isn't even a real country

>tfw thought this was a "which country caused most damage to Europe and white people" thread
guess this thread isn't for me

It's pretty much a tie, but anglo hate is the new meme, so everyone will say Germany.

the jews

Definitely Germany since they discovered quantum mechanics, organic chemistry and revolutionized Calculus.

no threads are for you. go shitpost somewhere else

To be able to give an educated opinion somebody would have to be scientifically literate and have an interest in literature, as well as have a level of education in both languages to be able to read said literature. This simply is not going to happen.

Instead you'll just get another debased, anti-intellectual /int/ thread with retards flinging shit at one another with pepes and roleplaying trips.

Yet British Scientists were also behind the laws of physics, penicillin, and antiseptics

Greece

Without the Haber-Bosch process (invented by a German Jew) we couldn't possibly sustain the world population right now. Besides, Germans had discovered Sulfonamide (antibacterial organic compound) around the same time as Alexander Flemming noticed the anti-bacterial effects of penicillin.

ha
heh
hahahaha
HAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Germany

Italian... Italians... and again... Italians

Are you guys retarded? Newton pioneered calculus

at the same time and independently of Leibniz. This one is a tie.

Gottfried Leibniz

Friedrich Wöhler

Max Planck

Albert Einstein

I said revolutionized, not invented.

could you name them?

Of all time, relative to size/power and overall importance?

Ireland single-handed saved the western academic tradition.

penicillin was discovered by accident anyways so does it really count?

No it wasn't. Fleming only began the discovery. Fleming and Heatley knowingly developed it into a medicine.

Britain
Germany isnt even second

Tfw European accomplishmants from 1400 to 1950.
Go back and start from year -400 and see that Italian bar increase over the charts.

German philosphy is garbage and evil. Its only merit is literary, and I guess some of Schopenhauer's book can be considered self help.

England and France gave us the modern democratic state.

Britain no question.

>German philosphy is garbage and evil.
>t. anglo expert

Germany

No he's right. If you think Nietzsche, Marx and Schopenhauer's philosophies are healthy or actively create any real progress on understanding or finding meaning in our lives you're deluded. They're utter trash.

It would be Germany, but Nazis.

They're never coming back from that one, it's like shitting yourself in public, you'll never not be known as that guy who shat himself.

France.

France is no where near Britain or Germany

What?

See

What I don't get about the graph on the right: why is Slovakia there? It looks like they lumped all of the Austro-Hungarian Empire together, but for some reason listed Slovakia separately? Anyone who read the book know?

You mean who comes second after France?

Probably Britain, but not by much.

I'm guessing this thread is meant to bait French posters?

Science:

1. France
2. Britain
3. Germany
4. Italy

Philosophy:

1. France
2. Germany
3. Britain
4. Italy

Art:

1. France
2. Italy
3. Germany
4. Britain

Found the Frenchie.

>Science
>France

>its an /int/ episode

That's pretty objectively true though.

France is also the only European country that still has an intellectual tradition today.

You're not too bright are you.

I like how in each of those cases they're fighting over their national versions of something that started off as French.

How is Protestantism French?

Germany constantly pushes things to their "logical conclusion".

Britain seems to be the voice of moderation and good sense.

I am most familiar with philosophy but by no means am I an expert on the history of philosophy, but it seems to me that to compare the amount of influential French and German philosophers, for example, is a very difficult thing to do.

As a layman, it seems to me that Germany and Britain take the cake in the field of science.

Art we have the same difficulty as with philosophy but with Italy.

Philosophy has been mostly circlejerking for a while, so there's no real criteria to put some above others. However if you go back to philosophy that was actually useful, like that which produced modern rationalism and the scientific method, from Abelard to Descartes it's mostly French. Look at political philosophy, and while Britain has some contenders, none can compare to the influence of Rousseau and Montesquieu in shaping the modern world. Even our current postmodern world is built on post-structuralist philosophy, the work of Frenchmen like Foucault and Derrida. And this is without mentioning all the stuff in between, from positivism to existentialism, and of course the other humanities.

In science, Britain certainly comes close to France, but Germany doesn't. France doubtlessly produced the most important work in Mathematics (Oresme, Descartes, Pascal, Galois...), founded Chemistry (Lavoisier) as well as modern Medicine (Pasteur), and many fields of Physics like Electrodynamics (Ampere) and Thermodynamics (Carnot). Britain surpasses France in classical mechanics with Newton (prefigured by Buridan) and biology with Darwin (prefigured by Lamarck), but I'd say it comes in as a strong second.

As for art, one thing you can do is look at artistic movements. Italy certainly shines with the Renaissance, and religious Baroque. But France has Romanesque, Gothic, secular Baroque, Rococo, Realism, Impressionism, Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Surrealism... It was consistently the centre of Western artistic creation outside of the Renaissance period.

You don't remember the French monk Martín la Thér and his quatre-vingt-quinze theses?

Germany in both

Einstein, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche

Immanuel Kant

You have some good points. Idk, it's hard to quantify these things. Hobbes and Locke are more influential than Rousseau and Montesquieu in political philosophy in my opinion. I don't know about science so I'll have to take your word. Though since I disagree with what you say about political philosophy I bet if I were more knowledgeable of the history of science I'd disagree with you there, too.

There's really no point in this conversation though so cheers.

France.

this

I like France and its culture, but these days its art, music and literature seem to be more about intellectualising for the sake of being intellectual, rather than conveying a proper message

A load of clowns being pretentious because they think it makes them respectable

Saying that though, the same probably applies to everybody else, just on a smaller scale

Yes, they can't deal with always being outclassed by the British and the Germans.

>France doubtlessly produced the most important work in Mathematics (Oresme, Descartes, Pascal, Galois...)
Gauss alone shits over all of these clowns.

Nigel plz control your butthurt

Nigga art has been dead for a century. I don't see how you can intellectualise music, and as for literature... as sad as that may be, Houellebecq might be the most relevant author right now.

Gauss is more of a compiler and completer of knowledge. That's nice but not nearly as important as creating entirely new fields and shifting paradigms, which is what the French excel at in all areas.

>However if you go back to philosophy that was actually useful, like that which produced modern rationalism and the scientific method, from Abelard to Descartes it's mostly French.
Grosseteste and Bacon.

I said mostly French, not exclusively.

England, because you may as well class all American scientific advancement as British.

Nice try Nigel but there are more German Americans than Anglo Americans

Unironically this.

Maybe put Italy first for Arts.

Damn, I wish I could pull stupid things out of my ass lile that.

I missed you

Sounds like you just don't know enough about the history of science.

Or maybe he does and he realises that you're talking out of your ass to justify your narrative.

Gauss is the greatest mathematician since antiquity and none of the people mentioned by you comes even close.

/thread

>starting at 1400
Yeah just cut out the greeks, chinks and arabs because durrr

Schopenhauer helps you see and understand human condition more clearly. If you dislike what he has to say you're likely a subhuman incapable of handling the truth.

1. Germany(Einstein, von Braun)
2. Britain(Newton, Darwin, Industrial revolution)
3. Italy(Da Vinci, the Renaissance)

Why is France so far behind? For such a great country they're really lacking in science.

Let me fix that for you

Science:

1. Germany
2. Britain
3. Italy
4. France

Philosophy:

1. France
2. Germany
3. Britain
4. Italy

Art:

1. France
2. Italy
3. Germany
4. Britain

Literature:

1. France
2. Germany
3. Italy
4. Britain

Music:

1.Italy
2.Germany
3.France
4.Britain

Who was louis pasteur? Who were the curies? Who was becquerel? Pascal? Educate yourself

user.
Why do you even bother replying ?

You made a few mistakens here and there.

Philosophy
1. Germany
2. France
3. Britain
4. Italy

Art:
1. Italy
2. Austria
3. France
4. Spain

>Literature
1. France
2. Britain
3. Russia
4. Germany

I didn't know they were french, so I'm glad he responded and educated me, fuck you.

But yeah, still inferior to the ones i listed for the other 3 nations.

Don't make anyone laugh, German accomplishments are nothing in comparison to those of the British.

>Meme map made by a German

Those are from the 1400's to 1950's.

See what?Are we supposed to believe that the authors have visited every single country and categorized their inventions in a studious manner?

He is severely overrated, Korolev has outdone him at pretty much everything.

Russia should be first in the literature section.

I'm not saying they are exceptions, I'm saying they were vital to the development of the scientific method.

Name one field founded by Gauss.

This is really terrible bait.

>France doubtlessly produced the most important work in Mathematics
very debateable

> founded Chemistry (Lavoisier)
not debateable, both the british and the germans surpassed them in this field

>as well as modern Medicine (Pasteur)
harvey, lister, jenner, flemming the first real epidemiology studies

>Physics like Electrodynamics (Ampere) and Thermodynamics (Carnot)
again newton, also hooke, and the turn of the century work on atomic structure

>biology with Darwin (prefigured by Lamarck)
lamarck was a hack and his ideas didnt effect darwin

Less so than French thinkers.

The Renaissance alone doesn't outweigh almost every other art movement in Western history combined.

>Art:
>1. France
>2. Italy
>3. Germany
>4. Britain
>Literature:
>1. France
>2. Germany
>3. Italy
>4. Britain

in no way is germany above britain in art and in no way are any of those nations above britain in literature

Russia is good. But in both quantity and quality can't even compete with Britain and France.

>very debateable
And yet you can't debate it.

>not debateable, both the british and the germans surpassed them in this field
Lavoisier is literally referred to as "the Father of Chemistry". Before him there was only alchemy.

>harvey, lister, jenner, flemming
All dwarfed by Pasteur.

>again newton, also hooke
What do they have to do with electrodynamics or thermodynamics?

>lamarck was a hack and his ideas didnt effect darwin
Lamarck discovered the evolution of species, and you might want to learn to speak English.

>muh Shakespeare and... uh...

>Why is France so far behind? For such a great country they're really lacking in science.

How the fuck did this become such a meme among idiots? France was historically THE scientific nation.

Estonia.

Henri Poincaré :
Galois
Cauchy

People shouldn't be so butthurt and surprised at France dominating every field. Until the 19th century France was the most populated country in Europe by far, it would be strange if it didn't surpass the other countries in achievements. On top of that it's also the birthplace and the hub of Western civilisation.

The eternal Kraut's achievements:

>Destruction of the Roman empire
>Feudalism which made 99% of people in Europe illiterate and servants to the nobles
>Religious fanaticism
>Protestant reformation and the degeneracy of chriatianiry, wars of religion which killed millions
>Creation of Marxism and other marxist philosophies
>All world wars
>The EU
>Massive immigration into Europe and the destruction of the white race

The eternal Anglo's achievements:
>Magna carta
>largest empire in history
>creation of the US
>developed physics(Newton),theory of evolution(Darwin),Modern economics(Smith),political theory(Hobbes),classical liberalism(Locke)
>English is one of the world's international language and the language we're using right now
>spread of democracy,liberty, and capitalism all over the Earth

Germans are the niggers of Europe.

Really? Didn't know Newton, Darwin, DaVinci, Einstein, the renaissance, the industrial revolution, etc. were french.

Maybe the french invented the car? or the airoplane? or maybe railroads and locomotives? Nope, sorry.

Especially considering mathematics

Russian literature is shit

The eternal Anglo can only steal.

Buridan, Oresme, Descartes, Lavoisier, Ampere, Carnot, Pasteur just to name a few were all French, the Renaissance and the Industrial Revolution are not scientific achievements (especially not the Renaissance which was a dark age for science, something you really should know before posting here).

And yes the French invented the car and the locomotive (Cugnot), the airplane (Du Temple, Ader, and Santos-Dumont), along with most other major Western inventions, from the steam and internal combustion engines to photography and cinema.