/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Megaproject edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

raw.githubusercontent.com/maxthyme/scripts/master/cannibalism.lua
youtube.com/watch?v=MhQJtwOGWgw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

when was the update est again?

In a month I think

never

How do I get water from a well in adventure mode?
Iv lowered and then raised the bucket but theres no option to retrieve or drink the water now

'I'nteract -> select container -> fill with water from bucket

these GCS have given me a shortage of miners.

Thanks babe

I wish I had more GCS - they're the only ones who can kill the web spewing FBs I have in the arena (cave-ins and magma seem too cheesy).

I have a ton of corpses around, and regular necromancer visitors. As efficient as it would be just to put them in a hole then fill it with magma, I feel like I should just drop them straight into the volcano instead.

is there a more beautiful sight?

No.
You try putting in arbitrary amount of stuff into 3x3x1 m workshop and still make it usable

actually, it's 6x6x[whatever height the ceiling has, but at least 3]m.

remember that one tile has a volume of 2x2x3m (Adams 2012).

Are goblin organs not edible or am I doing something wrong? My guy just keeps licking them instead of eating

Can't eat anything from intelligent beings

I think that's really stupid desu

You can change it, don't know how though. I think that it makes sense, maybe if you were starving though it should be acceptable to eat other races than your own at least.

That'd be fine, it just seems silly to make it flat out impossible to eat people when its perfectly doable. They aren't made out of a different kind of meat or anything. Honestly if it was legal and wouldn't give me some kind of disease I'd probably try it at least once.

FB made of glass, with a shell. This could either be really easy, or really hard, and that's not mentioning its spittle.

Is there a way to dictate what gets stored in a chest? Or is it based on the room where it's located (for instance, in a dining room it might store mugs)?

People probably just taste like chicken anyway, but I guess I'd try it to, if the person wanted to be eaten that it.

Actually people taste like pork

The only way you can change it is by removing their intelligence.

Eh, wonder what pulled human would taste like. If it's like pork, than it'll be good as fuck.

I didn't know, I just knew that you had to edit something.

It's dead now. As it turns out, hammerdwarves weren't very good against it. Swords, though, were. "Quickness Depth" is its name, btw.

>Using swords instead of axes for cutting
Is there any reason to?

They're more versatile, as they can stab too. Due to a lack of troops, versatility is high on the list for good ideas in my fort.

bump

kobolds

Magic and Wizards and Spells oh my!

>a giantess arrives
>draft all queer dwarves expecting them to be culled; no uniform
>giantess mutilates a yak cow while squad surrounds her
>pick wielders break her false ribs
>she gives into the pain
>11 pages of limp wristed dwarves slapping a giant in the head, a bull dyke and a war gorilla biting her head
>giantess has been struck down
>no casualties, aside from a gay yak cow
I dunno how to feel.

Clearly you need to establish the gays as the noble knightly class of your fort.

You should feel gay.

Make your society Spartan and do the whole Band of Thebes thing, which was a military force comprised of 150 male couples, under the idea that they would fight twice as hard in order to protect their lover as well as themselves.

Nah. I just atomsmashed the squad.

>haha XD that's SOOO dorfy lol!

Cuck yourself into a river my man

>haha KEK haha I said it again haha!

>so dorfy
No, they're just a liability. Unless they're vampires. If I'm stuck with 2 gay dorfs, there's no repopulating within the sealed walls.

>NuDorf
>ever having enough casualties to necessitate "repopulating"
Yeah have fun with that.

>tfw the river cuck was already two years ago

Stop trying to force this dumb meme.

>killing your own dorfs is so dorfy xDDDD
>btw don't use dumb memes

It's not even a meme. Unless you get wrecked by a werebeast in the early years it's pretty much impossible for your fort to be destroyed unless you go out of your way to let it happen.

bmup :)

That's always been true. DF has never been a hard game. Its difficulty has always been a meme, and "DF is too easy now!" has always been a meme among players who mistakenly thought the game used to be hard when in fact they were just bad at it when they were new.
Incidentally, early werebeasts have a simple counter as well.

>the anonymous poster who replied to me must be the same anonymous poster I replied to

>simple counter
In all situations, just wall off the entrance in the first month and dig for the caverns.

>0.42 was two years ago

So there's a dfhack option to force FB spawns. Does that randomly gen a NEW FB or does it just pull from the existing ones?

So can anyone explain to me how to store mugs in a dining hall / tavern? I have mugs, the dining hall has chests, but no mugs in them, or anything else. Is a mug stockpile the only option?

>& ssh -X [email protected]
>& ./Games/Dwarf\ Fortress/df_linux/dfhack
It's a good way to play desu my senpai.

>game where you can walk around stealing from and/or slaughtering everyone you see with no consequences
>cant eat them afterwards

it only works if the chest is in the tavern or a dining room linked to the tavern. in that case, they should bring the mugs there automatically.

you can NOT put mugs in a coffer in a dining room that isn't linked to a tavern.

raw.githubusercontent.com/maxthyme/scripts/master/cannibalism.lua

>I'm still using it because it's the latest version dwarf therapist can work with on linux

What's the quickest and easiest way to get into this game?

start playing

downloading it and double clicking the exe.

I mean it figuratively you faggots.

You could watch someone on youtube play for a bit and learn from that

Give me ONE youtuber that doesn't a mod of some kind.

Literally just start. That's the best way. Download DFhack too and use Stonesense so you can visualize a little easier.

Joel from vinesauce
Do I win a prize?

>download game
>dowload dfhack
>put dfhack in game directory
>double click dfhack
>plahy vidya gayme

But I don't know how to do anything in the game other than digging holes and making stockpiles

Just fuck around and keep the wiki open on your browser to check things, you'll get the hang of different things as you go
once you've learned a bit you'll be able to build your first proper fort, maybe itll even survive the first were-beast attack

That's more than you need to know to get rolling. You'll pick it up as you go, and every fort will improve your skills. Eventually you'll be able to join the rest of us complaining about how DF used to be hard and Toady is ruining the game.

Man, biting and shaking is so fucking broken.

>GCS bites my helmet
>doesn't work
>shakes me a little
>rips my fucking spine apart and tears all my muscles and tendons

to be fair, imagine a monster 20 times your size shaking you around by the head at high velocity. that's bound to cause some damage

Make a mod for quick-release armour in case of bite grabs

The problem is that it's effective despite size. A small creature biting and shaking still does a disproportionate amount of damage. Plus, it completely ignores armor.

>A small creature biting and shaking still does a disproportionate amount of damage.
Oh yeah, that is a problem.
>Plus, it completely ignores armor.
Well that was my point, even if the skin isn't pierced your spine can be damaged.

He's very funny and entertaining, but an abysmally bad df player.
actually he's abysmal at every game now that I think of it

Enemies SHOULD show up in Units under "Other", right? If the Eaglewoman Necromancer I was just warned about doesn't show up there, does that mean they left?

That's fine if the creature is much larger or latches on to a sensible part of the body, and joint damage is all that's happening. Like a dwarf biting a goblin's armored hand and shaking might be able to break a wrist if you very generously interpret a gauntlet's range of motion. A dwarf biting a goblin's armored head shouldn't be able to latch at all, and the dwarf shouldn't be able to shake at all, much less with enough force to snap the neck. In neither case should shaking cause tissue damage through armor when shaking. If you're talking about a lion, sure a head latch through a helm MIGHT happen, but still there's no reason the armor wouldn't protect the underlying tissue.

She might be hiding to ambush.

Maybe. Might just be stealthed. They do that. You're really unlucky that you have a stealthy flier, it could concievably bypass the LoS of all your potential spotters. Hope you have a roof on your refuse pile.

aren't GCS quite small?

They're just shy of three times the size of an adult human.

I'd shit myself if I encountered one the same size as me, let alone three times my size.

shit.

at least 60% of that volume is probably in their legs. I bet the actual body is pretty small.

We're talking about a spider that's between 450 and 600lbs...

We're talking about a spider with the weight of a bear.

Holy shit, I didn't even know about this.

>When your underground sea is infested with mole men pirates and all the FBs are either giant squids or big white whales

I just want to have a whaler fort

What? Have you ever seen a spider? Or are you confused aboit how volume is calculated?

I looked up after reading the filename. FUCK. FUCKF CUK CUFKC.

they're totally harmless, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=MhQJtwOGWgw

spiderposter.jpeg
You can't fool me, fool me with your lies! You can't!

I didn't know there was a version of this pic where you could see the interior.

Needs a dwarf stuck in a tree

Proportions like that are a minority, though. Outside of tarantulas, jumping spiders and trapdoor spiders, most have abdomens significantly larger than all their legs. And those three groups have (comparatively) enormous cephalothoraxes that more than make up the balance.

>Spiders are bro

>Their harmless i tell ya

>Caverns are totally safe, only critters i tell ya

Whoever championing spiders should be tossed into the nearest pond

STOP

wtf max, I thought you were a fellow spiderposter?