youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE
youtube.com/watch?v=wtA5euoWgKY
youtube.com/watch?v=_2aC6K4duwM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

well you were first

Daily reminder to never give up
youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

I like crafting mechanics. They go nicely with inventory management

Same. I know crafting gets memed on a lot ever since Minecraft, but I still enjoy crafting in games.

Is there a convenient way to IK rig characters downloaded from mixamo in blender?

Just a simple question that may also be incredibly stupid.

I've always had a fetish for Quake engines, and I've recently started a hobby project of creating my own tribute/clone. While I have no expectations of selling the game, I would like to keep the option available, and I also don't like the idea of using partial assets of id's in something that I would like to call entirely mine.
So, I guess my misunderstanding can be reduced to "How much of Quake am I allowed to use?"
I know all the source code is fair game, but I start running into problems when trying to modify the menus, fonts, and whatnot. I also know that stuff like textures, models, maps (actually I think Romero released all the Q1 maps, but that's not in my interest anyway) are off limits. Is anything not included with the source release unable to be used? That would be a particular pain in my ass because RTCW (what I planned to use as my base) has some cluster-fuck menu arrangement.

redrawn the pinata powerup container to look more like a pinata

I would assume anything that isn't an art asset is fair game. Unless there are art assets that have a license that you can use.

It's looking good, nice work. Does it explode into confetti?

You could just use a modern engine and emulate the style of Quake and it's ilk. Be aware that to do it well you need to learn *good* low poly character design/animation rather than the shitty for the sake of shitty kind most games claiming to be inspired by it employ.

This is a cute enemy im working on say something nice about it?

So are configuration files that are only found inside the game data considered art assets?
My main reason to use a Quake engine is because everything seems so simple, but it still all comes together with great gameplay. Additionally, making maps out of BSPs really pumps my nads.

What game is this model from?

thanks
of course

Very cute pinata. I don't feel happy breaking them...

Heck yeah, nice and juicy.

Huhhh... is this like a goomba?

It's 6/10 in the cute scale.

Why hasn't anyone made an autistically detailed murder simulator yet with dwarf fortress-esque combat where you can chop out individual teeth or fingers and pull out organs and eat them?

That mouth makes me uncomfortable. But it's fairly cute.

Is it actually worth learning Vulkan? I already have pretty extensive knowledge of OpenGL 4.x. As far as I know there are no device features that Vulkan can access that OpenGL can't, but is OpenGL going to be dropped in terms of drivers soon?

Because that would take work a lot of work, yo.

Dwarf Fortress exists but Toady is an anomaly.

Because Dwarf Fortress already is that game.

Hexen 2. It has fucking spectacular character design and animations.

I'm afraid you're wrong. Quake modding has fairly poor documentation and annoying quirks compared to say, modern Doom ports.

GZDoom might actually be something you could consider. It has model support, extremely powerful scripting and a very active community. The only issue is room-above-room architecture while fully possible are is bit of a bitch to work with.

He clearly wants a cinematic FPS game with those characteristics.

Vulkan is worth learning because it's a better API and it is the future. Khronos group can pretend OpenGL is still a thing all they want, but as far as the rest of the world is considered Vulkan is OpenGL 5.

it's their duty, they'll be fine, they'll get put together up there

I doubt OpenGL will disappear. Why do you need to know either though? Are you engine devving?

>Hexen 2
Fuc I get such a hardon for those old low poly games with "realistic" textures. There's something magical about it.

I've looked into making a full game based on Doom source ports, because the only thing better than 3d BSP mapping is 2d BSP mapping, but I found even less information in regards to creating a game from scratch.
I'm ashamed to admit it, but what I was really going for was a standalone total conversion. You know, just create all my own maps and populate them with a jarring mix of my own textures and public domain art/models/audio.

Has anyone here used Construct 2?

That would suck. It should be largely text based combat like dwarf fortress, but in a modern setting where you can be a proper serial killer by night and bring people back to your house so you can chop them up in your basement and by day you would work retail at a grocery store

How the hell are you guys able to work full time and gamedev?

I'm progressing at a snail pace.

You want GZDoom. It's gone full gpl recently. Check out the zdoom wiki and the zdoom forums for all the possible documentation you could possibly want.

You can use all, some or none of the ID-made resources. This picture is an example of a non-fps game made in the engine, and this was years ago before all the really advanced shit was added in.

cutting edge features

Agreed. Just one year after this style it all went to shit for a while, between Quake 2 and Far Cry or so.

Damn GZDoom is more versatile than I thought. And I thought Brutal Doom's Hell on Earth Starter Pack was amazing

Ah good to hear!

Are singletons bad? If so, why?

Working on a racing game. I tried to get it moving along the track as smooth as I could, but it still bumps around sometimes.

Yes. Because state is bad. State becomes even more bad when more people can touch it. Singletons are global state. Thats double bad.

Try out WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony if you want to see some of what the engine is capable of.

Or check out this indie 3d sidescroller by some crazy russian: youtube.com/watch?v=wtA5euoWgKY

I just want a Quake clone ;_;

>A racing game that crosses roller derby with mechs.

Then make one you dingus. All the characters and guns are already ported to gzdoom from quake. You can swap out the assets as you go.
youtube.com/watch?v=_2aC6K4duwM

very aesthetic choice of placeholder colors

>falling for gogem anti-typewriter memes

Hey I can do that too.

Lotsa small tweaks:
- shotgun makes a hitbox infront of it, to make it less shit and more reliable
- grenade beetles have a lot of hp, explosions dont hurt them. grenades are temporary anyway
- explosions put a decal on the wall, programmer art for now
- leg art for player crouching and shooting

I'm actually you from another dimension. Don't fall for the typewriter meme, I had to travel back in time to save my reputation.

But how am I going to represent voices without typewriter text?

Also, why is it a meme? It's literally just personal preference.

>another dimension
>travel back in time
Get yer stories straight man

this

I think it's just some /agdg/ meme.
Typewriter text is completely fine as long as there's a way to instantly finish a dialogue instead of having to watch the text type across the screen.

Seriously, /agdg/. How the fuck do you do it?

On weekdays I'm too tired, and on weekends there's always some bullshit to deal with (laundry, chores, etc).

why don't e-readers make me mash space to unlock the plot

it's a meme now because our old troll supreme celebrity gogum made a video about bad things people mindlessly copy in their games and talked about how terrible typewriter text is for the majority of clip's duration

Some people are those hypermotivated freaks who can just withstand the stress. Others just do a mediocre job at their place of employment and make time to work on their game. Others just work part time (which is the best thing ever if you can afford it)

a new yesdev is out?

For every game that has typewriter text, I as a player, do these things: Hit the button to get the full fucking text, then hit the button to advance to the next one.

First of all WHY. Stupid as fuck. I'm not convinced those single letters are coming out of their mouths. It's stupid. And second, but more importantly, 1 time in 100 (or some non-zero amount anyhow) I end up somehow accidentally skipping a bit of text because I'm not playing your text advancing rhythm game well enough.

Fuck typewriter text.

>tfw you mash too hard and skip page 114 and you'll never be able to read it without restarting the entire book

>imbeciles who don't know most games with typewriter text have printing speed options
stick to your unpolished pc kusoge from the 90's you grew up with

Thanks. I was feeling down because of this.

I would use rigify and slap a copy location rotation modifier on every corresponding bone so that the mixamo right forearm moves along with the rigify right forearm. no need to reskin if you do this, just have to set the rigify bones to match the orientations of the mixamo bones and put a copy rot/loc mod on each one.

actually, this sounds like a lot of work

Repost from the other thread.

What's your worst train hat moment where you had to do something bizarre to make things work?

No, everything has it's uses

wait, actually now that I think of it, you might just need to rename the bones to have rigify work with it without that copy rot/loc nonsense

even today there exists games without speed options, and games with speed options where the fastest isnt instantaneous and is in fact mud slow and even VNs dont have back-paging (logs dont count) despite that being the entirety of the """gameplay""" much less any other games.

i wonder if normies are dumb enough to buy a typewriter text e-reader

Thanks man, this will help a lot.

I'm making a game for myself. I will include what I want, because I am the only one who cares.

are you trying to alter a mixamo animation, or are you going to make your own from scratch?

>make a game for herself
>posts about it on the internet
what did she mean by this

What happened to this dev? It's been some time since I last saw him posting here.

>herself
>she

Remember to share when it's complete so other people with a taste equal yours can enjoy it.

Is itch.io dead, I can't add a fucking image to my comment.

Implemented a few things every evening, so here it is I guess. I'm going to polish it a bit and probably just release it (the source code) as is and move on. I still don't really like some things in Godot, but I can live with it.

If somebody has some ideas in general, for the story or some feedback, I would appreciate it.

Just because I'm making it for myself doesn't mean I don't want to share it.

New ones from scratch. I need to for first-person view animations.

Pat her head RIGHT NOW!

Working on a couple debug tools. Also finishing up the holes, still a few triangles missing.

Oh heck that looks comfy. I hope he's still making it.

Do you guys ever just come up with documentation for games you know you likely won't end up making?

I can't be the only one.

>tfw there's a rave in hell

>attaching a particle system to character socket works fine
>spawning projectiles at gun socket works fine
>attaching a particle system to gun socket just spawns it at the root bone no matter what I do

>oops i made that post a month early

huh

i refuse to do stuff like this. to me the code has to approximate what i'm trying to convey with the game.
stuff like that reminds me too much of the the trick in that movie - the prestige.
Everytime I'd see that train move around I'd know there was a body attached to it down below the surface just trailing along under the mesh. that would just too be much for me to handle.

Just loops back to the start. That's why I'm hoping somebody comes up with a short story, I'm terrible at this.
Like game design documents? I have like 5-6 of them. At least three of them are "it would be fun game but it would take at least 5 people to finish in reasonable timespan".

wtf I love the collage-style art now

To be fair, the person that did that probably wan't even in the same building as the programmers and had to make do with what they had

And it worked, so..

It almost feels like there should be a '...' at the end of the smile line but I might be wrong.

>with with

Cool

I started working on one ages ago but it was a fucking nightmare. I still plan on going back to it one day, but I've got other fish to fry in the meantime.

I fixed his beak

what is is wrong with me today, thanks!

>not naming that image the_261_year_old_virgin