How popular were these swords and what was their use/purpose?

How popular were these swords and what was their use/purpose?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DiD3cI3RqJU
oakeshott.org/Figueiredo_Montante_Translation_Myers_and_Hick_v2.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=nYNy_drriXs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They were often used by swordsmen for sword fighting

Swords as primary weapons rather than sidearms.

Swinging in an upwards figure eight could break apart pike formations, but after they got in there they'd usually drop it and start swinging with an axe or mace. Thats one way people used them atleast, the spanish had ones made for self defense.

Fighting multiple people at once is the prevailing theory, also used for half-swording through a motherfucker's helmet and killing armored opponents

They were used by soldiers for hacking their way into pike formations

youtube.com/watch?v=DiD3cI3RqJU

Very popular in the 16th century for bodyguards, gate and bride guards, in battle they could be used to protect banners and such, plus they tended to be more flexible than typical polearms formations.

:^L

Giant Dad builds, obviously.

>pike formations
>pike formations
The meme still lives...

Your pic is some cold steel abomination, here have a real sword.

That battle scene is well recorded in history, and the story is that those 3 guys explicietely did not attack a pike formation, but engaged in a brutal melee
>Yes, it is the battle of Kappel, 1531.

Those swords where used by expert swordsman for protection, guns, banners and important persons, both on land and sea. larger examples are solely parade/display weapons.

Where is any proof that they weren't anti-pike solutions?

where is proof they where anti pike solutions, you claim something, so go on and proof it yourself.

>and sea
What, really? You always hear of how naval weaponry is more compact than land weaponry due to the crampedness of the battlefield (especially in the lower decks) and now you tell me they swung these humonguous swords around? Seems unlikely to me.

Got me. Wasn't thinking like a historian.

Not the user you're arguing with, but it's common sense to have a pike formation no? A wall of spears is an excellent Frontline, especially if it's backed up by large shields held by the pikemen, with swordsmen behind the spear line to cover a break or dispersion of the front line, and archers at the back. Now imagine cavalry approaching from the flanks of the formation and charging the enemy formation while they're stuck contending with a fucking row of pikes and shields and trying to handle being showered by arrows at the same time.
Even if there isn't concrete historical proof of there being pike formations, which honestly I'm sure someone dedicated to researching it could definitely find, there's no doubt that it's a good idea. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

oakeshott.org/Figueiredo_Montante_Translation_Myers_and_Hick_v2.pdf
Teaches techniques how to use the weapon on a ship
youtube.com/watch?v=nYNy_drriXs

look, all records we have indicate that they where used once formations was broken, to defend important points in battles and important things and persons. We have several manuals who describe exactly that and teach the techniques to do so.

>Teaches techniques how to use the weapon on a ship
Does it? I ctrlF 'ship', 'boat', 'deck', to no results. Might want to point the page to me.

try galley, or gangway.

P.S. rule XI, page 14.

why use sword when have light dragoons

>You're at the tavern when this man slaps your betrotheds ass

To compensate

Compensate for dick size