Why do we have to take liberal studies classes when taking a major?

why do we have to take liberal studies classes when taking a major?
If I want to learn more about history and sociology I'll fucking research it at home. If it was 2-4 classes but it's 6, a whole fucking semester worth of that crap when I could be taking technical classes that actually have utility. It's harder to learn math, statistics, software, etc at home than fucking history or sociology that I can learn by googling

University is a liberal echo chamber and propaganda tool

It defeats the purpose to not have young and impressionable teenagers spend tens of thousands of dollars to regurgitate marxism

To get a "well rounded education". Literally a total scam

Except the point of college usually is to teach you how to think critically so you don't just accept everything on face value. I'd say that would make for a good reason why two years of liberal arts is important.

Because school curriculum is designed by politicians and bureaucrats with ulterior motives.

Except college doesn't do that and literally bans speakers like Ben Shapiro because they don't like his opinion

Do arts majors have to take a few maths courses too?

>College
>liberal arts
>Critical thinking

We wus kangs n shiet

Top kek

Well they need to sell courses, liberal arts literally are for people who don't work by definition. That idiots don't know what and why they do and take out 6 figure debt to pay for "college experience" is not their fucking fault. I mean its free money for them especially if the government subsidizes such idiocy

It's basically to force you to stay there longer so they can get more tuition money off of you. In addition, most of the liberal arts departments don't actually get any funding from the government because they don't produce any research of value, so they have to raise money to keep writing their feminist papers somehow.

It's an American thing. In other countries, people go to university and just study their chosen field. There is typically some scope to take a small number of courses from other areas at the beginning of the degree if desired, but certainly no requirement to.
But obviously the average American high school graduate isn't at the same level as high school graduates in other (better) developed countries. This is also why American undergraduate degrees are longer than in most other countries.

Liberals arts, sociology and other bullshit is designed to indoctrinate students into radical Left-wing ideas.

They claim it is to teach students to "think", which is a condescending and insulting position that we can only tolerate because we are grown to respect this decaying ideology.

Hi Rush. I was just wondering, how would you know anything about college when you dropped out 2 semesters in?

At my old school, they did. A math and science course I believe.

then go to a technical school :)

it's part of the scam. the meme behind it is. "it'll make you a more rounded worldly globally conscious person!"

but its really used to help subsidize the humanities departments, and other uselessness.

technical schools still require a semester of bullshit classes (general education, english, communication studies etc) at least here i ccukcanada.

nope, they are free spirits

This is because our education system assumes that after college your learning stops (which is pretty much the case for 90% for society).

As such, this gives universities incentives to provide well-rounded education in order to reduce variability in quality between graduates. If universities did what you suggested, there will be people graduating not knowing what WWII was, and in eyes of future employers such university would not rank high because you would never know what you get.

>point of college usually is to teach you how to think critically
>current year
>thinking colleges do this

learn the greeks you brainlet.
learn some history you brainlet
then you will knwo why some things are bad ideas long term
people bullshiting their liberal arts classes is why we get people falling for retarded politicians and thier laws, especially at the state lvl.

I love history and sociology. I like especially European and American history from the Renaissance onward. I watch a lot of documentaries and do a lot of reading on the subject, yet I still don't see the purpose of studying it in college if it is not what you want.

Even for less interested students, do you really think it will make them more interested on the subject? I could see the point of 2-3 classes, but a whole semester worth of bullshit is a bit too much.

I would love to take at least 3 more technical courses that are related to what I really want, but I can't because I've used up all of the possibilities on other courses I also want.

you "STEM is master race!" people are dumb and have shitty ideas about how to actually organize and run the world

seriously dude. this STEM shit that gets thrown around on forums like this is most myopic retarded shit ever.

like these engineering kids are just cogs in a machine and don't know how to think.

I took an english class with a bunch of hard science majors, and when it came to peer editing I was fucking shocked at how dumb they were.

They do do that, it's just narcissistic retards like you who think you're better than college because you have wikipedia.