/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

W8 A Minute
previous jej:
The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Crossout
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMaden b
>Skywanderers

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named.The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>underageb& who won't use the search function and also won't read where are they posting

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames
fromthedepthsgame.com

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb rides in clanghalla eternal, shiny and chrome

Other urls found in this thread:

mcro.org/stormworks
youtube.com/watch?v=sOxtNAb73SY
youtu.be/768yVdm1MS8?t=292
youtube.com/watch?v=N2ZfHdN3fpw
crossout.net/en/patchnotes/pc/#/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for I was actually suprised for new jej

Thanks again for all the tips.

no problem, always happy to yell at newbs
now add timer programmable block and a text panel
in programmable panel go to workshop, get whip's artificial horizon or cargo % script (ingame scripts are vanilla, you can do them by yourself or just nick them from workshop)

Why not make the detector detachable so you dont have to carry it all the time?
Just leave it nearby and go mining, or in a truck so you roll to a desired place for more energy economy.

So basically, replace rotor with connector?

>1x1 wheels alongside 5x5
>1x1 wheels for amortization
>spotlights as car lights
>mergeblocks on the underbelly
this is an abstract kind of algebra
you could do that, but it would be less space efficient and problematic
you could fly around with Ship:connector=connector:oreDetector
but once you detach the back you can't connect it back up unless both sides have power, so you would have to have solar/battery/reactor on the detector
you can use rotor's detach/attach function
detach will make the head go away, attach will be available once you align the rotorhead close enough so it may connect

in both casess will need its own power source, coonectors or rotors wont attach if there is no power, so you will need a battery in there.
Also the truck might help for offload, and recharge the miner
1x1 frictionless wheels are the best bumpers, and the merge blocks are to be disconnected and be replaced with ION modules when going to space, the whole idea was scraped, but it was supposed to be able to work as the transport also in space too.

iirc rotors could reattach if unpowered
>1x1 frictionless wheels
they are not the best bumpers
they are the best hovercar hax

Anybody played this? I'm waiting for my key.

mcro.org/stormworks

where's the signup? page has rectangle about it, but no button

I wouldn't say this wasn't unexpected. I think I'll just mine by hand until I get anough mats to build some strip miner so i don't have to deal with tunnels and retarded clipping.

r8 my weapons platform

Disable adblock.

it ain't worth it

Game? I haven't been to egg for forever.

6/10 made me reply and open paint

>disable adblock

you dumb or something?

Asides from the sled thing, they help to survive the land in absurd heights.
>rotors reatach unpowered
Thought it was fixed, you can even access a terminal despite being unpowered.
Depending of the type of mining you are going to do, you need to place the thrusters and the shape of the body correctly.
A miner that goes in any direction, needs the same amount of thrusters in all directions, but a one that does only vertical its easier.

strips of armor help with little bumps
making the drill array wider and higher than the ship helps too
giving up solves the problem

well I got nothing after the colon, so was right

Crossout

Are you? Personally for me, uBlock origin disables the submission field.

Page has literally no ads

>Page has literally no ads
only thing blocked: doubleclick.net
fuck that shit, I can't tell you how many times spybot found that shit on my pc

now put a SCUD launcher on it

space engineers suit building when? it can be done like in factorio, an inventory you put modules in

Actually, what I want do is something like cube with reactors and cargoholds in the middle with drills going out in all directions. You drop it from hangar and it buries itself into the ground as far as cargo capacity can allow. Then you pick it up with magnets. How insane am I?

this type of mining has already been perfected
the build is: drill (pointing towards the earth), battery on top
battery starts with 30% charge, enough to let the drill running, later you retrieve it and grind for scrap

>introducing:
>CLANG
>right in the suit edition

Widened the wheel base, it was too narrow and I was flipping in turns.

Cabin sticks out a lot. I would really think you would want it within the protection of the tracks. In raids the enemies will be shooting straight at that cabin, after all.

For non-raids, using something like the reaper while it's that exposed doesn't seem like a good idea. Usually the meta thing is to make a wedgebot and then a small wall around an area behind the wedge to embed the reaper into to keep it protected. The reaper seems to work well with this, which kinda makes it really annoying to remove.

Looks-wise it's pretty okay I guess. I should find that paint sometime.

Give me some tips pls.

I don't care about the meta, I just play what I want.

That's the sort of thinking that burned Robocraft.

I dont get what it is...

I don't understand what that is

I'd rather play my own thing instead of just doing what every one else is doing with retard proof wedge bots spamming shotguns.

i tried making a satellite and i got lost in my own plans so i placed parts anywhere

so plan better and beforehand

i wanna have superbulky suit with minimal propulsion capabilities so i can blast through pirate ships
why shoot them or grind down if you can just accelerate for 5km and plow straight through them, leaving torn meal in your wake as you penetrate next drone
i wanna have my dorifto suit which allows me to run and drift with them fucking legs on blaneds
i wanna have parachute suit that will be the laziest way of getting to a planet except having a medbay down there
>give tips
add warhead
add heavy armor
remove cockpit
remove thruster except one
target
engage

While that's what I do, I also try to make stuff that's also viable.

Usually however this means playing at a low powerscore because that's where all the fun stuff is.

Raids are pretty good for just playing whatever though.

Empyrion vs Space Engineers vs Interstellar Rift

Which one is best?
I really like SE for it's building mechanics, they are really deep and made me cosntantly think of cool new tricks and things to make, but there is nothing to do with them.
Empyrion I really appreciate all the pve elements and base raiding is fun, but ship building is a little too simple and it feels really "indy" as far as enemies and animation go. Kinda feels like playing a HL2 mod but with worse shooting.
Interstellar Rift I have not played at all.

nice blog
and if you think space engineers has "deep" building mechanics, think again

wut

I was explaining what I liked and disliked about the two I've played, so that a response to the primary question could be more focused.
SE mechanics are at least deep enough to get the imagination going, even though the vast majority of things I wanted to make turned out to be impossible.

>There will be videos for major updates only.
and i updated the youtube like a mad man
if anyone wants to know update 184.1 adds bullshit and bugs
parachute model reworked
something something gamepad
something something we pretend we fixed crashes

>vast majority of things I wanted to make turned out to be impossible.
What kind of thing? Can you give any details / examples?

>haven't played crossout in a while
>join game
>drones
>just drones

Defense drones, large ship printer, basically anything that uses pistons/rotors because they are buggy as all fuck and constantly explode for no reason.
I also dislike SEs flight model and how building works in survival. The flight is way too drifty and you are constantly flying past things and waiting to stop so you can change direction. Even in a fighter with shitloads of thrusters. The result is that dogfighting and avoiding turrets is a crap shoot. The building is also shit because, unlike Empyrion, you always use components instead of simply placing the blocks, which is tedious and very very slow.

Biggest problem by far is, of course, the lack of things to do with your creations.

just shoot them, they have all been nerfed and not even worth using at the moment

>Defense drones
been done long ago
>large ship printer
been done long ago as well
>basically anything that uses pistons/rotors
also been done, because they don't explode if you can into rotor/piston config and blast doors
> flight model
atmospheric or spess model?
I really hope you are not bitching about netwonian physics here or galileean transformations
speedlimit can be modded out
dirty is not a very descriptive word in this case
> dogfighting and avoiding turrets is a crap shoot
I rarely resort to that argument, but it's time someone told you to git gut, avoiding turrets isn't that hard, maintaining an orbit around a vessel you are attacking is

>Biggest problem by far is, of course, the lack of things to do with your creations.
that is my biggest problem as well
there's also no need to create most of the vehicles and resources aren't fought over

Fuse drones are the new TOWs
You could 'Just shoot them!' like you could with TOW rockets but that depends on your weapon and whether or not iti comes up behind you because if you didn't see it coming you're fucked.
>Air drones
Nerfed hard enough that it doesn't matter.
>Wheeled drones
Fairly balanced now. Weak against fast vehicles because you can outrun the drones and fuck over the owner. The cooldown on these things is painful.
>Caucasus
Balanced enough.
>Turrets
For some reason they last hardly very long at all, but their cooldown is less. Weak as shit, if you have a gun or something you can usually wipe them out. If you can't wipe them out, fucking run.

Drones only work in pvp, I meant pve defense drones.
Piston/Rotors are a liability no matter what. They will randomly explode and fly off into space when loading the game, or if toggling because safety lock, or if converting the ship to a station and back. Thy work sometimes, but are super unreliable.
Speed limit isn't the issue. The fact it takes ages to reach it, then ages to stop, is. This is the case even with shitloads of thrusters. It's realistic, but it gets old fast.

Another SE issue is how it takes 20 hours to weld up a large ship, and then it dies in two seconds to missile spam.

I'm really just curious if Interstellar Rift is any better.

PS: When I was actually playing SE a few weeks ago no one in this thread was at all.

For long distance communication a large grid is better, as regular antennas have ten times the range and you can lodge them to an asteroid to remove any drifting.
If you want it to stay unseen use laser antennas. They eat more power and have to be in direct view at all times but they don't broadcast their position to everyone nearby.
Solar panels are unsurprisingly bad. You'd need ten of them on full capacity to power two large laser antennas, or two for a single large antenna.

If you are just dicking around consider disabling sun rotation. If you are in survival and only playing on space disable sun rotation too.

>When I was actually playing SE a few weeks ago no one in this thread was at all.
There are plenty of people in this thread.
No one wants to talk about something that has burned everyone
You want discussion talk hard science for comfy on-topic off-topic or bring something new to table, else /egg/ is usually going to be ded

Intersteller rift is a really basic /svgg/ from what I remember.
Pretty sure it didn't have a lot of content, less than empyrion
anons were just using it to fill a void at the time

>I meant pve defense drones.
what do you mean by that?
I'm fairly certain someone has made it already, since there are controllable drone swarms with formations, attack /movement / partol orders
> The fact it takes ages to reach it, then ages to stop, is.
you sure we talking about space engineers?
>Another SE issue is how it takes 20 hours to weld up a large ship
god, please, tell me it's on 1-1-1 world with additional challenge of not using any welding or mining drones ever
>I'm really just curious if Interstellar Rift is any better.
would like to help, sadly I have no clue
>PS: When I was actually playing SE a few weeks ago no one in this thread was at all.
you posted those screenshots? i think i remember something
either way, most /egg/ participants, at least from the /seg/ side of the family have played and played and are currently burtn out, we await some mods that would add actual gameplay

this is a very very basic example of drone fights
youtube.com/watch?v=sOxtNAb73SY
youtu.be/768yVdm1MS8?t=292

while searching I have found that the guy's been working on mk2
youtube.com/watch?v=N2ZfHdN3fpw
marek even popped in to say "kill yourself"
I think it pains him to see people adding fun things to the game
holy fuck that screen, how is that vanilla?

>nu cuckout, down's children
crossout.net/en/patchnotes/pc/#/

>A hint was added for far-away players about their impact on the speed of the truck.
>Added the ability to scrap temporary parts.
>For scrapping temporary parts, players do not receive resources.
lel

Fit everything in a large rolling base, and go with it.

not as mad as me
I did experiment with what you said as well, but it did not end well
wheels on pic are off, because they broke in some update, this is from december/january when blaneds were added
do not heed the call of the void, for it will be your undoing
wheels are the clang of the soul

>special parts you could only get in steel cavalry crates now added to factions
>everything except crossbow
>steel cavalry crates price tanks from 270 gold to 160 gold as people panic sell their crates
>price already climbing back up to the 200+ range

Fuck. I wish I was online at that point so I could have bought more of the crates when they were at 160. These things are a gold mine.

>make 100+ profit off each one no problem

comfy

crossout wont let me type "cunt" as one word

>game for children made by jews
you expected anything else

>china has banned britbong curse word because philipine neo-nazis would stop trading with them
>let's blame jews!
what you should do is buy the starter package when it's cheap, unlike this goy, emm, I mean user

jews as a euphamism for greed, not the chosen people.
If I meant them I'd say Jews

>psst
>hey kid
>wanna try platinum?

what's a 1975 steven spielBEGRG movie got to do with it?

Do they not want australian players?

Is this shit the new meta?
It sucks if yes.

>have a language that consists of 2 words
>one of them is banned in game
>aussies will probably still have better team communication

Oi oi OI oI

G-guys, do you think I'm good enough for design department?

Right now the value of the new package is more than it will be worth soon (Epic parts are worth +50% what they will uiltimately be worth), and I'm pretty sure they're not going to discount it any time awfully soon.

I got about finished with a utility room with all the refinery stuff below deck before realizing I had no idea what I wanted for the rest of the mobile wheel base. Pic related, glass floors for sake of being able to see shit, hadn't hooked up a proper reactor yet so the temporary reactor for the design was still in frame. Floors are glass mostly so you can see all the shit packed under there, refineries, rock crusher, oxygen generator and tank, think the main thing it was missing was a hydrogen tank.

I'm guessing that this in particular drilled into the earth forever until deleting the drills after a few km?

You need your drills having a wider profile than the rest of the ship, those thrusters on the outside of the drills are going to snap off. Odd way to do the connector to the base, but overall it's more function over form which is fine engineering, son.

They seem to be basically better rapiers.

They dun fucked up.

It won't stop drilling by itself after max capacity, it will leave rubble and destroy itself with it. It's best to place the drills on one side and have it stand upright. Maybe with a large grid so it doesn't vaporize instantly.

meta is retard proof face rush with cheese wedges

they got btfo i killed 1.5 people and some other guy finished him off.

>Is exploit kill, user?
Yep, the fun stops here.

screenshot...

>enter game
>everyone is a fucking flaming faggot
Holy shit it like i am in fucking china they all look the same.
went allahu ackbar only to find out that it was one of our own guys that got lost in the enemy and they thought he was one of them.

gonput u got fucked up

I just came in this thread
to tell you that avorion is a great game

it had promise from the demo especially the godlike optimization to the point where you could make massive massive shit but it was disappoint

>Stahlfabrik S
Weiterarbeiten!

>this in particular drilled into the earth forever until deleting the drills after a few km?
nah, this one had 2-3 pistons that were connecting the drills to the base
because it was built in 2015 and screenshot in 2017 both wheels and pistons disappeared when loading the world (not all pistons, weirdly enough)
I had a completly different design (2 of them in fact) for burrowing straight down, like is trying to do

you are aware that "shit disappears 7km undergound" was a bug that was fixed a month or 2 after blaneds released?
apparently now it's no problemo to dig through even in survival

>great game
>game
hah! nice one user

it has a story, a final boss fight and clear progression from beginning to endgame, unlike all other sandbox games in this general

none of that is important for autism

where dem /egg/?
I understand why it belongs to /egg/ formerly /svgg/, but show me actual engineering in this shit
+ even if it has those, it has so pityfully little of them it might've not had those at all, it's like I said that spengo has gameplay because tutorial campaign
go find a cactus and shove it faggot

But it is important for being a game.

not when game is supposed to be autism

I can't find anything on it anywhere.

What do the portrait borders on crossout mean?

>AGG
autism games general

rating from ranked matches

>no interiors or getting out of your ship

no thanks

Oh
This is new.

Actually liked the guy

Yes. He is our guy.

hmm...