Which battle was worse for the soldiers fighting it, Verdun or Stalingrad?

Which battle was worse for the soldiers fighting it, Verdun or Stalingrad?
Pic unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stalingrad#Casualties
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Verdun, and my only point was that it was longer ago and thus technology and standards of living were not as developed.

Honestly, they were both pretty maximum misery.

verdun was a loooot longer.

True....
Well, wasn't the scope of Stalingrad much larger?

"Every 5 seconds a German soldier dies in Stalingrad.
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five."

Soviet propaganda broadcast, can't remember the source. I think it was a non-fiction book titled "Stalingrad," but I can't remember the author.

Holy shit.

Yeah got chills the first time I heard it. Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure it was in a documentary.

It's nonsensical to compare them. They weren't "battles" as in discrete engagements, they were lengthy campaigns, ongoing operations comprising many individual actions interspersed with periods of no fighting at all.

Also, from the book Stalingrad by someone or other can't be bothered to find my kindle at the moment, but apparently at Stalingrad the medics and surgeons had extreme problems with treating any open flesh wounds. You know why? Because the wounds would be absolutely crawling with lice, in the most literal sense. There's a description of how the one soldiers' wounds were a writhing white mass of lice.

Russian soldiers were properly equipped, contrary to the memes, but advanced gear like all-white hooded snow camouflage suits were in short supply, to the extent that it was common and recommended practice to scavenge them from dead soldiers whenever possible. There are numerous cases of Russian soldiers, busy bleeding out, apologising to their friends about the bloodstains as said friends strip them of their suit.

Stalingrad. 6 months compared to Verdun, yet a shit load more people died. Unlike Stalingrad, troops were on regular rotations on the Western front. I don't know enough about the battle to know if Russians ever got any sense of regular leave (seriously doubt it) but the Germans were fucking stuck in that shithole for 6 months. Every day being in the battle zone, with irregular and commonly delayed/reduced supply. Verdun might have been a boggy hell, but at least you could count on your rations and a place to sleep without constant fear of some Frenchie stabbing you in your sleep more for your jacket and shoes than any tactical advantage.

Yeah didn't soldiers murder their own comrades for shovels and boots?

>There's a description of how the one soldiers' wounds were a writhing white mass of lice
Sounds like eggs to me. They thrive in damp places.

During the failed invasion of '39 some Russian batallions were in arguably worse straits; Freezing to death and cutting off wounded parts of their bodies.

Then again in Stalingrad people didn't get gassed or crawl through trenches filled with their friends' liquefied remains.
I wouldn't call either worse. They're honestly different enough.

>Be German in Stalingrad
>Situation is completely fucked, the chance of getting home is negligible

>Be German in Verdun
>Get sent to front
>Company takes 70% casualties and is rotated out

Both are equally shit, but Verdun offered a realistic chance of getting out in one piece. Stalingrad practically didn't (at least for the German side).

Urban warfare will always always always be "worse" than "traditional" warfare. Look at the middle fucking east.

Reminder that 2 millions shells were fired by the Germans alone in the twelve first days of Verdun
In total, over 100 millions shells were fired by both sides combined during the battle

>You know why? Because the wounds would be absolutely crawling with lice, in the most literal sense. There's a description of how the one soldiers' wounds were a writhing white mass of lice.
How did the lice even get on people's bodies?

Casualties Stalingrad 2 million
Casualties Verdun 1 to 1.2 million

According to the wiki, combined Axis and Soviet forces amounted to 2,183,000 men
So I really doubt there were 2,000,000 casualties

Suomussalmi

Stalingrad.

For the russians, at the start of the battle the life expectancy of a newly arrived soldier was 24 hours. Almost every single soldier that fought at the start of the battle, for either the soviets or the germans, was marked for death.

Add to that the freezing cold, the short supplies, the urban warfare and constantly being on watch.

Compared to that you have Verdun, which was shitty true, but at least there you had a chance to rotate out of the trenches and get some R & R.

>The Axis suffered 850,000 total casualties (wounded, killed, captured) among all branches of the German armed forces and its allies; 400,000 Germans, 200,000 Romanians, 130,000 Italians, and 120,000 Hungarians were killed, wounded or captured.[102]

>The USSR, according to archival figures, suffered 1,129,619 total casualties;[104] 478,741 personnel killed or missing, and 650,878 wounded or sick. On the material side, the USSR lost 4,341 tanks destroyed or damaged, 15,728 artillery pieces, and 2,769 combat aircraft.[105]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stalingrad#Casualties

>There are numerous cases of Russian soldiers, busy bleeding out, apologising to their friends about the bloodstains as said friends strip them of their suit.
poor dimitri

Add to that Stalingrad battle was half the time of verdun, so the killing was alot more frequent, along with the snow

Now look at "strength" battlebox and understand why the wiki page is retarded
Either the fiorces were much superior to what's written (in which case the cacualties rate can be lower than Verdun) or it means that the casualties rate was of 97% which I doubt

The calculation of casualties depends on what scope is given to the battle of Stalingrad. The scope can vary from just the fighting within the city and suburbs itself to the inclusion of almost all fighting on the southern wing of the Soviet-German front from the spring of 1942 to the end of the fighting in the city in the winter of 1943.

Dmitri is in Slav heaven now bro... Or not. Maybe he was a Communist.

The number of people who served at Stalingrad is presented at the start and end of the battle. If 500,000 people die in November, they're not gonna count toward the December tally of soldiers. Bu they are going to count toward the casualties.