The Great War

Opinions?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uIYbdyZqTN4
m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY
youtube.com/watch?v=1v5QCGqDYGo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I generally can't respect fat people and that guy has a little bit of a belly sticking out. If he'd work out and get rid of that fat, I'd probably enjoy the show more.

>the war to end all wars

What did they mean by this?

>Two things- maybe, just maybe, the failures of the 4th Army on the 7th, 12th, and 18th of October suggest that they lacked the power to improve their position, and also maybe the time to think about their position was a month ago
it'd be an enjoyable series if he weren't so a condescending

In one episode he kept calling Enver Pasha by what he thought was his surname - Pasha. Was kinda annoying.

This points to a bigger problem, that he's not all that knowledgeable. I get a 'your favourite middle school history teacher' vibe from him

I find the videos entertaining but I usually stop at least a minute before they're over because I know he'll use that time to get all touchy feely about the horrors of modern warfare ablohbloh

definately
>now can you imagine how it must have been
>complete waste of lives
>they never learned
really gets tedious

What do people here generally think of Dan Carlin anyways? I liked his Great War podcast personally

Consistently good, enjoyable, and easily digestible by people who aren't "into history" or whatever.
I haven't watched a lot of them, but I've recommended them to some of my friends.

I feel that the usual weekly format is getting too stale and boring. I still like the specials and the Q&As though.

Its good but I dislike all the "blah blah horrors of war, muh soldiers blah blah" shit

Any decent war historian has to cover off on that angle. To avoid it would be irresponsible and deny the audience one of the key learnings which can be applied to the present day.

I don't care that he does it, it just gets old when he spends 1/10th of every show talking about it

way better than that total retard john green

>that one video about WW1 myths in which he claims that Germany didn't cause WW1 and that Versailles was harsh (in two separate points)

>not loving angel and snake
>not loving the hotzendorf and cadorna roast
> not loving indy when reply our questions, including the silly ones like "is this real life??
> not loving when he speak of the armenian genocide.

Clearly you are a turkroach pissed off because he dont lie against armenian genocide.

This is one of the best historic shows on youtube, deal with it.

It was one of the most notable aspects of the conflict, the deplorable conditions shattered the myth of glorious war more than any previous conflict and lead to massive social upheaval in all the significant participating nations. Given that it's an episodic format aimed at normies he can't just say 'oh btw it really sucked' in one episode and expect that to stick.

You yanking my chain?

Theres literally nothing wrong with being German

youtube.com/watch?v=uIYbdyZqTN4

>there's nothing wrong with being German

m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY

that's not really an accomplishment worth noting

> definately

I think he's fantastic at painting an easily understood picture, and illuminating the human element of history.

Wrath of the Khans was terrifying, imagining what it must have been like to know the Mongols were coming.

It wasn't so great.

Lots of people died.

>Look mom, let me post a retarded meme since I have no argument.

Stay bad, eternal Anglo.

I'm literally working for them lol this thread is entertaining

He does a pretty good job at explaining WWI in depth.

I will also add and say that Indy is indeed a bit cringey. Though I enjoy Florian and the rest of the crew more since I work with them directly. They're trying their best to create a show that enticing and well informed. It's easy to shit on them and try to correct their every move since entho-nationalism is always rampant when any World War comes up. You guys gotta understand that they're also in it for the money it's a business at the end of the day; the entire show wasn't started because someone thought it was cool. There were several business meetings over 3 different show ideas and how to try to get them off the ground and make money.

If he stopped making videos on bf1, i'd like him.

Marxist garbage

It was pretty great, but idk if I'd call it "the" great war. There were lots of other ones that were pretty cool, too.

Indy is his real name?

Love the show, tell them to do more angel and snake vids, i like indy when he goes full cringe-mode

what were the other show ideas?

It is indeed and I'd rather not have him sing another ballad on his guitar
Ranging from a WW2 show, show about Sweden, and the last one I honestly can't remember something completely not related to history or geography. I wasn't in the business meetings just heard about the debated shows later on.
I'm working with Motion Design and Cartography so I'm not exactly the one that's super in the loop

It's good entertainment, and I like that they consistently update and make everything easily digestible even for those who don't obsess over history and statistics like me. Overall a good series, and a godsend whenever I'm working out or on a long drive. But I do get rather annoyed when EVERY SINGLE EPISODE he has to say pointless navel-gazing shit like;

"And it all has the same result: hundreds of thousands of young men die. What was it all for? I dunno."

Also, smug hindsight bias kinda pisses me off.

Why did they make a channel dedicated solely to the First World War?
Are they just going to stop making content once they cover everything?

Yeah, that was pretty blatant bullshit.

>"This week, Italian Chief of Staff Luigi Cadorna began another battle on the Isonzo River"

What did he mean by this?

there have been talks about doing WW2 in 2019 but everything is still up in the air since WW1 doesnt end until 1918 (2018) which is still plenty of time

Love it

what
he made two

Hi
Keep up the great work

Maybe one day have a special on different arguments for/against the treaty of Versailles

>that Germany didn't cause WW1

>implying Russia didn't mobilize first which kick started the whole chain reaction of subsequent mobilizations turning an isolated conflict into a general great-power conflagration

Overrated, overhyping blowhard

Not actually that great, unless you're Junger or Adrian Carton de Wiart.

Personally I think BBC's The Great War 26 part series is better.

I'm a sucker for historical footage and the series has a kind of... poetic quality to it. It does a better job of framing the misery and wretchedness as well as the moments of triumph and heroism.

The guy "Indy" comes off as a dilettante that makes his series seem flippant at times.

They have another channel called "it's History!" but they havent updated it in like a year.

I like these guys. The concept of detailling the war week by week is interesting. I wish they'd stop the constant "war is hell" bullshit, but I can understand why they do it. It's a good series for normies and kids, but you won't learn much if you ever studied the war.

Does the show actually make money?

I'm just gonna repeat what others have said, it feels as if in every single video regardless of length or topic he has to go on a tangent how horrible it was, how pointless, how awful, how tragic, how deadly, how stupid the generals were, how they didn't learn and so on and on and on and on virtually every single time. Obviously I'm exaggerating but it's in there way too much.

That's what happens when you make an episodic series about one topic. You're forced to reiterate the same core points again and again in case some asshole decided to jump in on the latest episode.

US had no reason to get involved.

Woodrow Wilson is a shit.

The problem is twofold though, it's annoying because it's repetitive - although your point makes some sense, I guess - but it's also annoying because often it goes into outright bullshit and meme territory. The war was not "pointless", they absolutely did learn (I'd say they learned and developed much more than through the entirety of WW2), the war did not "just happen" but has pretty clear causes, the generals weren't moustache-twirling villains with double-digit IQs who thought "ho ho ho let me sacrifice ten, no, twenty thousand soldiers today, ho ho ho!", they did what they could with what they had at their disposal, and for every Cadorna there's a competent commander. That's the part that bothers me more. There's no need for them to go on about it in every video to begin with, but when they do it *and* perpetuate myths or "popular history" falsehoods, it's just extremely annoying.

Indiana Nidell, the lead actor, is currently also doing some advertisement series for a Stockholm software company, and it looks very weird seeing him under another name and persona.

Nuh huh, my government taught me better than to trust you lying krauts.

youtube.com/watch?v=1v5QCGqDYGo

It was a typo on the script that got copied into the script for a dozen or so episodes before they caught the error

>WW1 American propaganda film
>EU anthem starts playing
Kek

Pedagogicalists plz go and stay go.

>liberty the ass

Best channel on youtube. Sure Indy can be cringey at times, but I think he's charming as fuck.

thats clearly ww2 propaganda

wtf I hate the eternal kraut now

They thinking about doing another week by week kind of thing then?

Holy fuck all this needs is 'gold is a very valuable commodity'

Why is it always the most cuck looking faggots who are into wargaming and tacticool analysis

>I wish they'd stop the constant "war is hell" bullshit

Ever since this god forsaken board was created, dan carlin posters have seeped into every crevice they can get their slimy hands into.

I even took the time out of my day to rewatch a couple of episodes to give your constant postings some justification, but there has never been a greater sham of podcasting than the mongol bullshit and punic nightmares.

I won't even fully address the mongol shit but here is the key fucking notes:

1.) Every episode at least once every 10 minutes he has to say "Can you imagine the horror... etc".
2.) He literally has 1 fucking sentence on the decentralized control of the mongol empire and barely half a sentence on the clan infighting.
3.) He says absolutely fucking nothing about how the europeans were able to fight them off, not the meme answer about overextension or the less meme answer of lance cavalry.
4.) Lastly, this nigger says absolutely NOTHING about the recurve bow the mongols used that allowed them to pull off the deep penetrating shots with a light bow that they are famous for.

Lets move onto punic nightmares:

1.) Fuck you

Germany didnt cause ww1. a fucking serb did.

>Theres literally nothing wrong with being German

Wait, he seriously said that shit?

>s*rb
FTFY

Versailles was harsh.

>Wrath of the Khans was terrifying, imagining what it must have been like to know the Mongols were coming.
I can only imagine the amount of bullshit he spew when talking from Russian perspective, if there was one.

>t. highly experienced war veteran

yeah similar style show
and of course it is. patreon, youtube, merch, book, and no need to have a large research team when people volunteer to research the topics.

>you have to pay money to listen to his shit
Shit taste desu

Yeah, Germany dindu nuffin!!!
It was all the Serbs fault!!!

This is 100% accurate to reality btw.

History from 1920- would've been changed if Russia didn't get into Austria's shit

Japan helped Britain because Britain wanted to kick Germany's ass because Germany trespassed Belgium to go kick France's ass because France was friends with Russia, who was gonna go kick Austria's ass because Austria was about to kick Serbia's ass because someone from Serbia kicked someone from Austria's ass

First guy you linked here, I never knew he had such a following, I only accidentally stumbled upon his WWI podcasts on YouTube. I can't speak for the Mongol podcasts, but I do appreciate that he's at least able to make it more digestible for someone like me who isn't really a historian. I can't say I knew a whole lot about the Great War, but at least now I have a pretty solid framework and I'm at least exposed to some of the controversies many real historians debate over

Ignore that other guy, he's just being nitpicky. Carlin isn't perfect, but he repeatedly states that he's not a historian.

You can't condense World War I, let alone something like the Mongol invasions or the Greco-Persian wars into a dozen or so hours-worth of podcasts. He does a great job of conveying the general idea of the topic he's covering without going into the weeds.

My only issue with him is the length of his podcasts. King of Kings episodes are five hours long, for fuck's sake.

people after ww1 unironically thought that there wouldnt be anymore wars because the great war was so destructive and people would learn from it

the series is not even halfway over. ww1 ended at the end of 1918

a serb made germany invade neutral belgium, hmm... !

my question is did the soldiers who were slaughtered by the millions, people who were the same age or younger as most Veeky Forums posters, really believe the propaganda that this war would end wars?

no, that's just a phrase
you know, a turn of phrase, a name, a fancy collection of words

both the nationalist Serbs and war hungry Germans caused WW1

by "serbs" you mean a bosnian yugoslav naitonalist?

Watch the Why We Fight american propaganda film.
It praises the hard working and gentle russian men, who defeated their despots and liberated their country, and now run it themselves, fighting the evil totalitarian germans.
Less than a decade later the opposite thing was being said in Cold War propaganda pieces. If I was an american soldier at that time I'd be very cynical from being brainwashed in two opposite directions within my service career.

A "meme" you mean?

You're right, they didn't.

A small fire was started and Germany sprayed oil on it though.