Why do people still buy baseball cards? It's the most archaic thing ever, yet I still see them at every Target...

Why do people still buy baseball cards? It's the most archaic thing ever, yet I still see them at every Target. Is it seriously just the boomers doing it? I understand back then, you couldn't just pull up the player stats on the fly like you can now with your smartphone. Doesn't make any sense other than collecting them for nostalgia purposes.

pic related. It's been sitting in some guys closet for 30 years and probably sold for less than what the idiot paid for it.

Sports cards went through a large change in the last 30 years. They went from cool collectibles to total trash and then to lottery tickets. In the 70's people collected the cards as a past time but as the collecting aspect got more popular several companies decided to print cards like fuckin crazy which made them worthless. These days in order to move cases of cards producers put redemption cards in the packs for pieces of memorabilia. A player card probably isn't worth shit but grown men will pay to have a chance at a signed game ball or a jersey or some shit.

Good explanation. Did not know this. Now how do we do something like this but for millennial weebs?

I didn't know this until I went to a few card shops in Japan, but there are thousands and thousands of anime girl cards. I think there's a TCG for just about every FOTM anime. Any shop that doesn't specialize specifically in Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh will have display case after display case filled with them. A friend of mine even bought a few to use as tokens when he plays Magic.
So, just import those.

People get nostalgic for whatever was cool when they were 12-16 years old and will often go back later in life to purchase all the cool shit they couldn't afford back then. For me this is like N64 games & MTG cards. No idea what kids like today but it's probably worth taking note if you can.

I need to know of these cards
I hope they're more like baseball cards tho, weiss schwarz is shit and I'd rather play mtg

Ah, I think they're mostly Weiss Schwartz. I'd heard of that but didn't really know what it was. I just checked Wikipedia and it sounds like it's probably what I was seeing.
However, there were definitely a few TCGs designed specifically for particular FOTM series. I wish I could remember an example but I can't right now.

some packs offer bubble gum in them. I used to be heavily in to collecting topps cards and even had a collectable babe ruth card that had a piece of the chair he used to sit in embedded in to the case it came in. Cost about 400$ in 1998 i can only wonder how much that is worth now. Too bad my collection got ripped off a long time ago.

I have some weiss schawrz cards, but the systems they have is weird and it's trying too hard to be an mtg/yugioh-for-weebs without actually diversifying the cards and just re-using the same shit characters in different poses.

Making collections of characters based on their own show, like SAO for this example, would be superior if they were like baseball or hockey cards in my opinion. Idolmaster would be perfect for something like that. Alternatively, stop using the same shit characters repetitively and make interesting cards Weiss.

Anyways, the things kids find cool now is snapchat and online/popularity shit. I rarely hear about something kids want (that are over 12) that isn't attention these days.

>weiss schawr
I'd rather collect magic special land cards for the art than Weiss.
Op, I don't either. I always Aussmed it was parents trying to connect with thier 8 year old kid by giving them out dated hobbies that the kids drop in 2 years when they get to middle school.
Much more interesting was collecting 1st edition video game boxes, the price made them rarer and it used to be a niche hobby, but even that is lowest common d now and all the box art is the same and they don't even put 50cents into printing a nice Manuel.
Baseball cards is an extension of liking baseball, if you don't care about baseball, why should you

Atlus includes goodies in the first print runs of their games.
SMT IV even came with a big cardboard sleeve.

That is what I mean
The art and character use of WS is shit compared to some of the cool stuff you can find in MtG
Whatever though, I care a bit too much about /c/ stuff

I was 10 years old when the baseball card blew up in 1990, and I got into it because all of my friends were spending their fucking lawn mower money on cards. Then the market crashed and the cards weren't worth shit.

That said, I just found my old cards and looked at them for the first time in 20 years and I'm amazed by the shit that's in there. I have mint Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey Jr. (and Sr.), Jose Canseco, Ricky Henderson, and fuck knows what else in there. Obviously they aren't worth shit, but I'm going to keep them for nostalgia's sake.

Baseball cards are a viable hobby/sidejob for many, many people. Modern cards are a basic lottery at the surface level.

There are different products for different levels of investment/fun. There are prospect cards of minor leaguers who if you pick correctly can net you a nice return upon their success. The most famous example is Mike Trout. When he came out, his 1st prospect auto card was being thrown around for anywhere from $5-25. Look it up on ebay now.

"2009 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout Auto"

Gone are the days of the late 80's/90's where cards from that era aren't worth the cardboard they are printed on for the most part.

There are Vintage cards which are always a nice investment. These are cards from your father's time that pretty much only appreciate in value. The most famous being the T206 tobacco series cards and the 1952 Mickey Mantle.

Anyone who used to collect and hasn't for a decade or more owes it to themselves to look again. If you are a saavy investor, you can turn a few bucks and enjoy a hobby again.

dude what the fuck i was 4 years old when you were buying fucking gay ass cards for a ridiculous amount of money.

why the fuck were you paying that much money and why the fuck are you on here dont you have shit to do

MLB GO.

Go around the globe and randomly pitch baseballs to players from their respective state, you have to strike them out to capture them/get a signature.

It's a hobby.

what the fuck is your problem. Not everything in life has to be an investment.

No one collects them as a pure hobby though, they always spit memes about my 300% increase, not realizing most of the time they spend more on the rest of the cards than they make back on the few that rocket. Most of the time you would have made more money investing in the market than the time it takes a card or toy collectible to actually worth anything, and after you figure in inflation most of the time it's shit

>Why do people still buy books?
>watches?
>thermometers?
>flashlights?
>cameras?
>portable gaming systems?
>I understand back then, you couldn't just have that on the fly like you can now with your smartphone

Baseball cards are the most useless out of all those you listed you fucking retard.

Thats a matter of opinion

>Why do people still buy books?
Entirely because e-books are a flaming rip off and only save someone maybe 20% at most when purchasing a newly released book. Of course people are going to pay 20% more for a PHYSICAL copy they can show off to people that they read it and can't lose it if they forget the password.
>watches?
Because they're jewelry and look nice
>thermometers?
Seriously? My smartphone doesn't have a built in thermometer to detect the room temperature
>flashlights?
cost next to nothing, lasts for hours, much brighter than shitphones
>cameras?
larger lenses = better picture, this has been the case forever
>portable gaming systems?
ever play touchscreen games? they're all shit

fucking shit I didn't know that. So glad I asked this question, I'm getting actual answers because I never fucking knew.

It's fact. Half, of those things you listed people still buy because the smartphone quality ones aren't as good as buying the ones purely focused on performing that specific task. Like cameras, portable gaming systems. Have you tried reading book on a smartphone? Shits annoying, gotta zoom in and out and shit. Thermometers have their uses to, you're not gonna stick your phone in somebody's mouth to check their temperature or check temperature of water with your phone are you? Watches are obsolete to but some people still wear it for fashion.

BASEBALL CARDS?

Have you tried trading your smartphone for two other smartphones?

>have to zoom in and out to read
Nigga wat? Do you have like a 2 inch screen or are you just blind

I used to collect them as a kid in the nineties. It was fun. I'd compare collection with friends and trade cards. I always wanted to get players from teams I cheered for. Never thought of it as an investment, just a little hobby.

Well, i fell for the meme as a kid and an effort to fit in and look like i gave a fuck about sports. Figured i would keep them for my kids colkege. Not having kids. Keep being told 80s and 90s cards are useles. Hekd for 15 years and no change. Tired of them tsking up space but no clue how to get rid of them.

Should i really look each single card up and deal with ebay?

Is there not a trustworthy place to dump them and say here. 15% of profit is yours?

Fuck. So mark mcquire and jordan and shaw rookie cards and shit are ass wiping paper....?

I wanna sell mine. I got too much shit and i dont want to toss them in the barn and feed the packrats. Wish i coukd find some kid to give them too. Maybe i will get a lock box and just hide it under the house and put it on my will and die 60 years feom now having long forgot about them.

I just want mine gone. Never even cared for it. I have other interests. So deal with ebay? Or sell on another site?

Interesting. I was collecting in the early 1990s when prices exploded and they stopped being worth anything. Honestly I'm surprised that they're still sold in stores as I haven't seen a card shop or show in over a decade.

One of the many idiotic endeavors my dad invested money into was sports cards. I remember we had the the complete upper deck NHL set for like 1991. I'm sure he still has them and that theyre worth less than what he paid.

What pisses me off so much is that at around the same time as this and the comic book crash, MtG started. Me and all of my friends who had cards were like, "Nah... these Magic cards are going to crash just like baseball cards and comic books. lol"