Mythology Thread

Why was Hera such a bitch?

A lot of it has to do with Zeus, but she still did some horrible things to people who didn't deserve it

Because Athenians wrote most of what we have from that period, and Hera was primarily worshipped by the enemies of Athens such as Sparta and Argos.

Because Zeus was a dick, really.

Because she wants her brother/husband to have sex with her.

I wanna fuck Apollo.

Zeus was a cunt tbqph.

Actually most of the Greek gods were.

Except Dionysus. He was cool.

She's the immortalized form of bitchiness in women.

All of the gods in Greek mythology are immortalized forms of human nature.

Same reason Hillary Clinton is a bitch.

No only Hestia was the good one.

Hestia bestia.

Dionysus was a massive cunt with a seriously bad temper.

and his followers were LITERALLY hysterical female cannibals

What the fuck was the pagan god's problems?

No wonder Christianity won so easily.

Are you a pretty young boy?

I've found that in general, the older the mythology, the more assholish the gods. I suspect this is due to the increasingly tenuous nature of civilization the farther back you go.

For instance in Sumer, where the Gods were right cunts that created humans as a slave race you have a society that's only very recently been civilized, that's regularly subject to drought, famine, and pandemic, while being dependent on a couple of unpredictable rivers known for flooding violently for agriculture. The gods here are ways to make sense of the capricious natural forces they're subject to.

Further along as societies advance, the gods tend to soften and taken on more philosophical, abstract roles and become less overtly dickish.

>yfw you're having another Æutistic fit

Yes, he understands

All the Greek gods were as a rule.

Could you give some examples of non-ancient mythology to illustrate what you mean? I know of Islam and Scientology, but I don't think they illustrate your point.

Christianity. The transition from the God of early Judaism to the modern Catholic or Orthodox conception of God illustrates my point well. God goes from being something of a psychotic, genocidal dickhead who can be bargained with or tricked, to being an omnipresent, all knowing, distant God of extremely abstract nature.

>who can be bargained with or tricked
When did these happen?

Adam hides from God in the Garden of Eden. Abraham talks God down when dealing with Sodom and Gomorrah.

The only substantiation of your theory is one religion?

Also, the theology of God as being all-knowing and omnipresent is stated in several places in the OT.

Adam didn't really "hide" from God anymore than Cain hid his murder from God. God interrogated them rhetorically.

Abraham interceded for Sodom and Gomorrah, that's what we ask saints to do to this day, intercede. Holy men do that in the old testament (1 Kings 13:6).

>The only substantiation of your theory is one religion?

It's an example, and it's not a theory (theories have a large body of supporting academic evidence), you bloody autist. At best it's an aphoristic musing.

>Also, the theology of God as being all-knowing and omnipresent is stated in several places in the OT.

Nope. Not getting into this debate with you. You're a fanatic that refuses to discuss in an academic fashion the influence history has had on Judaism's evolution from semitic polytheism to Christianity.

>if you view early writings through the lens of later developments instead of reading them within their own context, you can make the early writings seem to fit those same later developments
Thanks for the heads up.

>At best it's an aphoristic musing.
Those should be based on wisdom.

Is Cain killing Abel really that much of a "later development"? Cain is questioned by God, tries to hide about it, but God already knows.

autism

God doesn't allreAdy know. The blood of Abel cries out to God as he questions Cain.

I wish I could marry my sister.

Take that back you fucker.
Name one thing she did wrong.

Ruined Hercules' life