A student accused my mathematics teacher of "Eurocentrism"

because he focused on Greek mathematical history and didn't go into Babylonian or Egyptian mathematics..

He responded that he is well aware of that, but the formalized mathematics that we all know is of Greek origin, and then he got pissed

who is in the right here?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid's_Elements
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_mathematics
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Your professor is right

the mathematics that we know of today are essentially Greek

The Babylonians and Egyptians made great contributions to mathematics, but it was the Greeks that provided the first Axiomatic Deduction system i.e Euclid's Elements

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid's_Elements

it's not "Eurocentrism" but the reality of the situation

fpbp

Everything else will be shitposting now i can already sense it.

>2016
>Not teaching antiracist mathematics
Should have told that shit lord to check his privilege.

The Egyptians weren't even that good at mathematics, they did some basic stuff and alot of it was trial and error
>but mah pyramids

The Babylonians had the bigger influence on Greek mathematics, and while they did have a primitive concept of the proof

as the first post says, Greece laid down the foundations for the mathematics that we study today

What is MUCH more important than Babylonian, Egyptians, and perhaps even Greek methematics is INDIAN mathematics, and that stupid fuck didn't even cite it:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_mathematics

Who gives a fuck. Idpol can get farked, and your teacher was smart enough to combat it

Most of the important history of math is abbreviating unwieldy concepts and relationships.

I'd say India has some pretty huge contributions but it's undeniable the Greeks were huge, and the most important historical mathematicians were from Europe.

What was the kids race or ethnicity?

Numbers are a social construct to keep the black down.

Seriously? People care where their abstract concepts that have nothing to do with race or culture come from?

The formalized mathematics we that we all know comes from Northern and Western Europe during the Enlightenment, and can be traced back to Renaissance England, France, and Italy. Its origins have more to do with Medieval Catholic and Islamic mathematicians however than the Greeks, and your mathematics teacher is essentially just propagating an old meme that Renaissance mathematicians purposefully spread to give themselves a more impressive intellectual tradition.

Basically no one was in the right here. While it's true that the earliest sources we have on mathematics tends to be Greek, it's worth mentioning that math has a very long but unknown history by the time it filtered into Ancient Greece. At the same time, it's an exaggeration to say formulized mathematics has a Greek origin.

Knowledge is Eurocentric

There seems to be this idea going around lately that science is inherently eurocentric. That's where the recent South African uproar comes from I think.

I know the point is to not discredit any idea on basis of where it's from, or who thought of it.
But shouldn't the whole point of the scientific method as we know it be that it's unbiased?

Am I being naive here?

>Euclid's Elements

It never gets in my mind how a scientific textbook ever got so popular.

>Euclid's Elements has been referred to as the most successful[5][6] and influential[7] textbook ever written. Being first set in type in Venice in 1482, it is one of the very earliest mathematical works to be printed after the invention of the printing press and was estimated by Carl Benjamin Boyer to be second only to the Bible in the number of editions published,[7] with the number reaching well over one thousand.[8] For centuries, when the quadrivium was included in the curriculum of all university students, knowledge of at least part of Euclid's Elements was required of all students. Not until the 20th century, by which time its content was universally taught through other school textbooks, did it cease to be considered something all educated people had read.[9]

no its not

the first Axiomatic system was developed in Greece via Euclid's Elements

it is by no means an exaggeration to say formalized mathematics began in Greece

The wording here is important however. The first known axiomatic system was Euclid's work, true. But that is different from saying our modern form of formalized mathematics began with him. It didn't, but it was certainly influential in giving us a lot of terminology for things like analytic geometry, where it begins for modern mathematics. I don't see it as any different from claiming modern literary form begins with Homer or Beowulf.

greece, babylonia and egypt were all basically different sprouts of the same civilization anyway. egypt and greece probably wouldn't have happened if sumer didn't pop up.

That is entirely the point. It's just loads of stupid dindus complaining that they aren't scientists because actually working hard at school to become one doesn't fit their cultural values of doing crime and drugs.

Yeah but some people seem to be of the mind that the origin of an idea is intrinsic to the idea itself and that by only focusing on ideas of a particular origin you become exclusionary.

babylonio-egyptian

Science is racist and should be abolished. I bet your teacher is a fucking white male