Pope joins Sweden in commemorating Reformation day

>Sylvia also notes that, in the spirit of reconciliation, Pope Francis went so far as to praise Martin Luther as a great reformer. Luther was long deemed a heretic by the Catholic church.

>Pope Francis on Monday recognized the positive aspects of the Reformation sparked by Martin Luther in a further gesture of reconciliation to Lutherans, who split with Rome 500 years ago.

>[Luther] was intelligent and took some steps forward justifying, and because he did this. And today Lutherans and Catholics, Protestants, all of us agree on the doctrine of justification. On this point, which is very important, he did not err. He made a medicine for the Church, but then this medicine consolidated into a state of things, into a state of a discipline, into a way of believing, into a way of doing, into a liturgical way and he wasn’t alone; there was Zwingli, there was Calvin, each one of them different, and behind them were who? Principals!

>With gratitude we acknowledge that the Reformation helped give greater centrality to sacred scripture in the (Catholic) Church's life.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5bWHSpmXEJs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

man I'm not even Catholic but I hope the next Pope is some ultra conservative hardliner from Tanzania and goes back to fucking shit up

>Gerd Eva Cecilia Brunne (born 7 March 1954) is a bishop in the Church of Sweden. She became the Bishop of Stockholm in 2009. She is the first openly lesbian bishop of a mainstream church in the world and the first bishop of the Church of Sweden to be in a registered same-sex partnership.

>In September 2015 Brunne proposed the removal of symbols of Christianity, including crosses, from the Seamen's Church in Stockholm Harbor, to open the church to worshipping sailors of all beliefs, and to mark the direction of Mecca as a service to Muslim visitors.[12][13][14] [15]

The cardinals would not elect such a Pope
>In April 2012, the election of a young gay man who was living in a registered same-sex partnership to a pastoral council in Vienna was vetoed by the parish priest. After meeting with the couple, Schönborn reinstated him. He later advised in a homily that priests must apply a pastoral approach that is "neither rigorist nor lax" in counselling Catholics who "don't live according to [God's] master plan".[38]

>Schönborn is a member of the Elijah Interfaith Institute Board of World Religious Leaders.[31]

>Elijah Interfaith Institute is a nonprofit, international, interfaith organization which was founded by Rabbi Alon Goshen-Gottstein in 1997.

>In 2014, addressing a question raised on the family, he argued that church doctrine can change over time, and "doesn't depend on the spirit of time but can develop over time." "Saying that the doctrine will never change is a restrictive view of things," Marx later clarified at a Vatican press conference. "The core of the Catholic Church remains the Gospel, but have we discovered everything? This is what I doubt."[12]

>We have to respect the decisions of people. We have to respect also, as I said in the first synod on the family — some were shocked, but I think it’s normal — you cannot say that a relationship between a man and a man, and they are faithful, [that] that is nothing, that has no worth,

>He said it was up to the state “to make regulations for homosexuals so they have equal rights or nearly equal . . . but marriage is another point,” adding that the state “has to regulate these partnerships and to bring them into a just position, and we as church cannot be against it

>The history of homosexuals in our societies is very bad because we’ve done a lot to marginalize [them],” he said, adding that as a Church and as a society “we’ve also to say ‘sorry, sorry.’

No use trying to save face, in view of so much hypocrisy. Leo X excommunicated him, which to them, means sending someone to hell, which they would like to had done.

Schonborn is in the minority though, and basically only holds his position because of archaic german laws.

>Pope trying to reconcile and unite the different factions of Christendom in the face of dwindling influence and worshipers worldwide
>this is somehow a bad thing

I miss Benedict

Shoenborn is an extremely close friend of both Francis and Benedict, and was instrumental in the latter's election.

youtube.com/watch?v=5bWHSpmXEJs

Don't let him near kids ffs.

If you want to kill sinners and fight holy wars against the nonbelievers, go join Islam. Seems right up your alley.

I actually heard this driving on vacation. 1st off she's Lutheran and they don't really have the same structure of RCC. 2nd she was doing this as more of a community thing where they talked about self help and morality rather than a structured church. It wasn't like she took the church option away from anyone she just wanted lower class unreligious people to have a sort of church community to help them talk out their problems.

>if you don't support lesbian bishops, then you want to kill sinners and nonbelievers

>expecting one of the most unchanging organizations in the west to not dilute itself more than it already has means you want to murder people
this board is shit

>tfw when it wasn't atheist, Muslims or satanists that destroyed the Catholic church but the Catholic Church itself

Protestants have infiltrated the Church and are destroying it from within.

DELETE THIS!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>cucktholic church

>implying the majority of "Christians" on Veeky Forums aren't DEUS VULT Crusaderboos

>he says posting in a thread criticizing the RCC

You guys realize this Pope has been reaching out to other christian branches for some time now.

Hes basically trying to reforge Christendom is what it seems like to me.

>Waaaah can the Pope stop doing what he's supposed to be doing ))));
>I want to go die in a meaningless Crusade!

Also 25 year rule.

He's been reaching out to Muslims and Jews too

I'm OP and I'm Orthodox. Why would I be shilling for a Crusade when one sacked Byzantium and another was defeated by the Russian Orthodox?

Oh so you're from an irrelevant, backwater. I shouldn't waste my time.

Yeah.

When other religions see the religious head of Christianity as a good guy, it makes the word of Christ that much more convincing.

>the religious head of Idolatry

Iconoclast get reked.

Nope, I'm American

Indifferentism is not the "word of Christ".

There's a difference between being "indifferent" and tolerating all of God's creations if that's what Christians believe. Jesus wanted a fellowship of man, to accept all as equals. You have no right to judge another man for his beliefs. Only God may judge.

Christ had Passover with a prostitute and a tax collector, I'm sure hes willing to overlook shit.

You absolutely have the right to say his beliefs are wrong, and in the case of Christians who advocate things like homosexuality, we are to put them out of the congregation and not so much as eat with them.

Who believed in him and wanted to follow him. More importantly, they were probably contrite: Christ contrasts the tax collector favorably against the Pharisee on that point.

>we are to put them out of the congregation and not so much as eat with them.

who said that? where is that said?

Well don't call yourself a Christian then, my man. Jesus' teachings certainly don't tell you to turn anyone away. In fact all of the parables in the New Testament describe Jesus bringing in people thought to be deplorable in society.

Oh also, Golden Rule- that's kind of a big deal.

who are you?

Your Dad. Now go to bed.

kys my memeing man

1 Corinthians 5:11
Matthew 18:17

>Jesus' teachings certainly don't tell you to turn anyone away.
2 Thessalonians 3:14

Nothing new, cuckthlics bowing before the eternal swede in hopes of avoiding another 30 years war. Frankly only the protestant world will be free from saint marx's refugee caliphate

>be swedish
>lose half the army in one battle
>need france (a catholic country) to bail you out

You know that's Paul writing that, right?

Jesus didn't write any of the New Testament, so I don't see what your point is. The Gospel writers all supported Paul as a true representative of Christ's teachings.

Catholics think the holy spirit is a cup of wine

Yup. I think I'm Muslim now

>Be austrian
>Lose half of your country in one war

Actually we think it is Christ's blood.

Is the second paragraph a joke?

It's almost as if the Catholic religion was used as a medium of control rather than a true religion of worship. "Oh so people like liberalism? Let's do that so we get more power."

And the Jews were behind 9/11!

>Unironically thinking the Jews weren't behind 9/11

No.

Nope, it's 100% serious

Better to have good relations than bad relations.

>be swedish
>lose all of Finland in one war

Not at the price the Vatican paid for them.

This thread is about based Popes now

I'm sure all the Muslims are going to start converting when they see how nice the pope is to them.

Cardinal Sarah?

What choice do the Catholics have, though? Sure, they could go super hardline and have their power base concentrated in Latin America, but then they'd lose almost everything in Europe. It's either adapt or lose the West, and they chose to adapt.

>can change over time
>actual quote reads "can develop over time"

Jesus Christ stop reading that sensationalize bullshit. Developing doesn't mean changing, it means clarification. This is what has happened at most ecumenical councils.

the memes are a lie, no one under the age of 65 is attending Mass again in western Europe because of francis

No one is attending mass anyway. And the numbers will keep dropping anyway if the young keep getting more and more disillusioned with religion.

That's a bit like a politician claiming that they never "changed" their position on an issue, only "clarified/developed" it, even though they have effectively said two opposing things.

I don't think the hardcore countries like Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Poland, Hungary, Spain and Ireland etc would change their ways in the catholic church in favour for others.

Personally I can't respect our current pope, the protestants reckon them filth, the reformation sparked so many wars that cost both proddy and catholic lives. I can't take it my man.

>Personally I can't respect our current pope

The current pope isn't anywhere as bad as conservatives imagine him to be.

"Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican."—Matthew 18:15-18

The context of this is clearly regarding someone who has sinned against you, specifically. But you are correct with 1 Corinthians, which in context is speaking directly to not sit and dine with fornicators who call themselves "of the faith." Which would most certainly be someone who is a homosexual pastor.

Being the leader of the swedish church is like being archbishop of the moon, the title is more impressive than the reality

>seamen's church
Kek

I miss JP II

And He told them to never sin again. It's not like they still were prostitutes and tax collectors when they were travelling with Him.

Please respect the 25 years rule.

This belongs on /news/ or at worst /pol/

*tips*

The guy who kissed the Quran?

Protestants are worse than Muslims

KEK
Now i want to see a conservative black pope.

Yeah, but I'm Orthodox

Catholics are becoming more and more like Protestants every day

delet

Paul III is now rolling close to the speed of light in his grave

This is the PR Pope. He's desperately trying to repair catholic church public image but still hasn't addressed or corrected the pedophile club in Catholicism.

Who cares what Obama I says. There's less than a year to 31 October 2017. We hardline protestants will nail fun edicts at erry catholic church door we can find.

>Nothing is wrong if you do it for christ.

Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great!

This guy is supposed to be a jesuit, what the hell is wrong with him? Loyola is doing a barrel roll in his grave

In a show of unity, Rabbis marks 100th anniversary of the beginning of the Holocaust. Rabbis from around the world convene in Germany to reconcile with Neo-Nazi representatives, and praise Hitler as a great reformer.

>[Hitler] was intelligent and took some steps forward justifying, and because he did this. And today Orthodox and Reform, Hasidics, all of us agree on the doctrine of justification. He made a medicine for the diaspora, but then this medicine consolidated into a state of things, into a state of a discipline, into a way of believing, into a way of doing, into a liturgical way and he wasn’t alone; there was Goebbels, there was Himmler, each one of them different, and behind them were who? Principles!

>>With gratitude we acknowledge that the Holocaust helped give greater centrality to sacred scripture in the (Jewish) faith's life.

>we are called to be christ

No we are not, if idiots like that poster are authorities on christianity, then it is no wonder so many "heresies" exist.

Nothing wrong with the Orthodox desu, the dispute with them was kind of dumb. Fuck praising the Protestants though.

are you christian my man? because this picture perfectly describes the doctrine of christ

>Personally I can't respect our current pope
Because you'd prefer him being an edgelord 'gas the sarracens' crusaderboo?

They're going to keep losing followers this way desu.

The sort of people that are impressed by his actions are the sort of people that aren't very religious to begin with, they'll praise him but there is no way they'll join his cult.

Eventually Catholics will be that group that agree with everyone in an attempt to not offend anyone and there will be no difference between a Catholic and anyone else, without their own identity they'll stop existing lmao.

Most serious old school Catholics won't be in Europe and they might even stop viewing the Pope as the Pope and splinter off.

Would be kewl to see where Mexican Catholicism goes without pressure from Rome. I wanna see more skellys and death cults.