What are some historical examples of cultures with 'third genders" or anything comparable to the modern transgender...

What are some historical examples of cultures with 'third genders" or anything comparable to the modern transgender phenomenon? Just curious.

Other urls found in this thread:

geocities.com/mypersonalblog/index.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Hijras of South Asia (India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh)

They still exist as a third gender today and Pakistan even legally recognizes 3 genders on its passports, ID cards, documentation, etc.

>heh Thai lady bois always existed heh can't you see gender was always a social construct and everyone was gender fluid before 1950s america

None. Gender is a social construct.

Pacific islands e.g. Fiji have the Fafafine. I believe some indigenous north american groups had 4 genders.

most retards in amazonia and africa, SEA have these third gender.
There is nothing new with the westerners.

why are British tabloids always so outrageous?

top kek

What is the definition of gender I mean in the broad sense.

Explain mental and physical differences between males and females.

Sex and gender are observably different things.

>women
smart
emotional
vagina and uterus etc.

>men
stupid
violent
penis and testes etc.

they're synonyms. gender roles are a social construct, not gender.

There's one culture in south east asia which has five different genders.
>men
>women
>men who act as women
>women who act as men
>Neutral non-gendered shamans

if gender is a social construct why do they need to chop their penis off and take hormones to successfully transition?

>they're synonyms

No, not really. Gender is very much the display of ones sex given social and cultural conditions and perceptions around what is acceptable.

Sex, however, is biological.

Because people who do that are not called "transgender" they're called "transsexual".

Most don't actually.

So it's just dudes that dress up in skirts and wear makeup?

They used to be called transvestites.

no, they're used interchangeably

By the ignorant, yes.

I think those are typically dudes who dress up like women but for fun and usually not permanently

Some have argued that that's a result of western attitudes of gender being binary. Generally, people from cultures with 3 or more genders don't feel a need to transition, because they feel comfortable inhabiting a role that is, to some extent, in between. Westerners don't get that, and are told they have to be one or the other, so in order to feel definitely like a member of the gender they most identify with, surgery becomes an option.

In other words, a western male who feels like a woman doesn't have the option of going "well, guess I'm a hijra, that's cool," they're faced with "well, I guess I'm a woman, that means I can't have a penis, time for surgery."

I thought those were drag queens

But sex reassignment surgery is very popular in Iran and Thailand too

>very popular in Iran
Because their fucked up regressive government forces gay men to become women.

Some Native American tribes believed in four genders.

They just hang gay dudes from what I understand and just treat male to female trannies as any other medical problem.

>UK has shitloads of Colonies.
>Only Uganda learns how to make British-style tabloids.

India/Hindus famously have the Hijra.

Since Hindu culture has influenced Southeast Asia, this explain the existence of ladyboys in the area.

>SHAFTED:

this is why bailey is das beste

There is no diffrence between gender and sex in mentally healthy people

>He fell for the "mental health is objective and universal" meme

>he fell for the "cutting off your dick and calling yourself a little girl" is healthy meme

Stop listening to the French and you will be better off.
But seriously every one who does is fucked in the head.

t. cuck

What is healthy?

>he doesn't believe established medical science

How does that response make sense in this context?

>you will never be a cute lesbian little girl

How do I deal with this, bros?

Self mutilation is never healthy.

it's no different from other cosmetic surgery and not all trans people do it anyway

also why is it when people attack trans or gays it's always mtf trans ("cutting off your dick") or male homosexuals ("anal sex is bad")? makes you thing

Me on the left

Science can be wrong

Y tho

>no different from other cosmetic surgery
Show me other cosmetic surgeries with such massive post op suicide rates.

I'll wait.

Gender dysphoria is really no different than schizophrenia. Only that with one we attempt to treat, the other we foolishly validate and attempt to comply to their insane demands.

But hey Pakistan does it so it must be right. Why not also mimick other parts of Paki culture while at it?

Have you ever stopped to think that external and systematic contribute to the individual trans persons suicide? Of course you haven't you're an autistic liberal.

You area damn fool if you try to equate a nose job or face lift to reassignment surgery.
The core of this silly tranny shit is the they have a twisted view of the world. People hate crazy and trannies are crazy

Are you seriously asking why self mutilation is harmful?

Only a cuck would be so conformist.

If it's performed in a safe medical environment why shouldnt people have the right to modify their body. Shouldnt people be entitled to bodily autonomy?

Okay buddy

Friendly reminder that there is literally nothing wrong with being a cute trap.

>Have you ever stopped to think that external and systematic contribute to the individual trans persons suicide?
Nah. They're just horribly mentally ill people who get taken advantage of by unethical surgeons and once it finally hits home what they actually did and how they're left with an open wound they have to dilate for the rest of their lives they off themselves.

Sad times we're living in really.

>traps
>not reverse traps

Top pleb, user.

>muh systematic oppression
I love when whenever liberals have to deflect statistics away, they resort to "systematic" SOMETHING. Just because you use the word systematic doesn't mean you're magically right.

Suicide rates of trannies are abnormally high no matter what culture they live in. And why wouldn't someone who mutilated their body causing irreversible damage fibally snap? The blood is on liberal hand. You are not on the right side of history as you so often claim.

>Gender dysphoria is really no different than schizophrenia.

source?

I'm not your buddy, pal.

Oh no I never said that you could not do it.
Go for it.
You are a sick fuck who is being enabled by retards.
Oh yeah and fuck you pronouns. You are what you were born.

The Zapotecs have the Muxe in their society. I know Aztecs often considered their priests a kind of gender of their own. Maya rulers sometimes dressed as goddesses and took on feminine qualities to use their fertility powers.

geocities.com/mypersonalblog/index.htm

Why is this thread on Veeky Forums? Fuck off tranny shit.

do you think trans people don't get nose jobs or face lifts etc? the only difference is that (except for extreme cases) cosmetic surgery is normalised

>"what are some historical examples of..."
>even though you know that this thread is going to devolve into shitflinging about it's modern day equivalent because that was your intention all along

I love this meme. It's so easy to talk about anything on this board.

I am not your pal, guy

Listen asshole. Getting your dick scooped an turned inside out to pretend you are a woman is not the same as recapturing youth.

Get over yourself fool.

Is it really, though?

what if you are born intersex

yeah but like i said already not all trans people get that surgery. and not all cosmetic surgery is to recapture youth. you're not saying anything that isn't wrong

The difference is that cosmetic surgery actually works. You got a smaller nose? Well fine. You mutilated your dick and made a hole in it? You're still a man. You didn't become a woman because you cut your dick off. Every cell in your body still has XY chromosomes. You're just a man with a mutilated dick. You will never become female. The XY will follow you to your death.

Gender mutilation surgery grossly simplifies what it means being man/ woman so that some insane deranged tranny can have his way.

>no hips
>small tits
>has a penis
>cant make kids

There's really no point in them in living other than to get fucked.

So...
They are such a tiny part of the population. They are irrelevant to the discussion.
We are talking about complete normal Men and women who are trying to be something they simply are not.
Ditch the smoke screen bitch.

>cant make kids
are you dumb?

who cares about chromosomes lol what a nonsense argument

they're not irrelevant to the idea that people are 'what they were born'. they're only irrelevant because they fuck your argument right up

Many do and those are who I am taking about
What's wrong at its core is pretending to be something that one is not and expecting everyone else to play along or accept you

Emailing mental illness is wrong.

Not him but I'm fairly sure estrogen treatments cause infertility

>who cares about chromosomes
Your cells do. Who then define who you are, including gender. You seem grossly uneducated in biology.

They are irrelevant because those people have known chromosome defects such as XXY, you uneducated piece of trash Americunt.

Estrogen causes the testicles to become infertile - they tell you to freeze sperm before the surgery.

As for female to 'male' trannies, I believe their eggs still work, but they stop producing new ones IIRC, so don't take my word on this one.

They really don't.
I have never actually heard of intersex people getting surgery to change themselves.
Only physically normal people.

Besides you arent one of them. They are also such a miniscule part of the population that we could never really get a consensus on what they do.
This os just a smokescreen.

Well for starters there's pretty boi asspussy homolust wtf I need traps now

And those people are infertile and look like a fucked up manlady - but I guess that's a-ok! and we should promote and glorify these people anyways.

p.s. I'm not the user you're arguing with

Fuck off back to /int/
There is no need to play that faggy game

>Many do

who? how many? why are they representative of the trans community and in fact form the entire basis of your argument even though you don't know numbers?

Fuck off back to /lgbt/.

I have schizophrenia. Please don't compare us to those fucking freaks.

do you want to stick to your argument?

and? what's your point?

Tranny ITT got BTFO. Now he will run back to his safe space whining about oppressive patriarchy.

I am the guy you supported.
This just isn't the time or place for that bullshit.

P.s. you are the dumb one an /lgbt/ wouldn't use the word faggy

it used to be the case that doctors would do the surgery when they were born and probably still is the case in a few places

anyway the number is, even with a conservative estimate, 1 in 2000 people

What's the point of being transgender. If you're unhappy with the way society gives you an identity, why adopt one that society has an even more negative view of. You'll never be able to be something you physically aren't so why try? Just be a feminine man vs being a trans man or whatever.

I'm saying them being intersex has a basis in their biology, their chromosome structure. Those are known genetic mutations. Klinefelt's for instance has an XXY structure to their gender chromosomes.

Yiu are lumping genetically normal people (atleast in terms of sex chromosomes) with people suffering from known chromosome mutations. Do you understand the difference? One is a biological reality, the other is a mental illness.

The second half of my last post covers this one.
Reread it.

mental illness is a biological reality lol

but they are who they are born as

Like everything else in human history, feels before reals

Still irrelevant. They have a genetic malady.
This is not the scope of the argument and you know it.

how is it wrong?

>science can be wrong
And I could be a living, breathing double dragon dildo. I could be a brain in a vat. Go with the solution that is substantiated with evidence.