What does Veeky Forums think about the concept of institutional racism ? It seems a very american thing...

What does Veeky Forums think about the concept of institutional racism ? It seems a very american thing, but people use it in the cas of european countries that had colonies.

I feel very uneasy about this concept, since it basically justifies failure to integrate of minorities.

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/06/04/the-blackwhite-marijuana-arrest-gap-in-nine-charts/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Genuinely asking, does it still exist in the same it existed in say that 30s or the 70s?

No meme meme replies, please.

It's a myth created by the left to justify the failures of ethnicities that are just as much failures in their countries of origin. It's the magic word. Claim something is systemic and you win the argument. We don't need proof. We don't need evidence. You said the two buzzwords. You win.

Its malarkey, baloney, a whole lotta bullshit.

I am not going to adjust my behavior apriori in terms of how I treat certain races, colors, creeds, cultures, and people in general because it is deemed more politically correct. Humans by nature are pattern finding beings, to try to correct this is to go directly into man's innateness.

Well it obviously existed in a large way up until the late 60s. You could argue the policies the war on drugs created and the justice system enforces are some of the last bastions of institutional racism but many of the problems minority communities are dealing with are residual effects from the economic isolationism imposed upon them in those times.

I think "institutional racism" is a blanket term that needs a lot more nuance. I would not say that western society as a whole is racist, or at least to the degree that it once was. There's no big bad white man working behind the scenes to keep the brown people down. Now, in terms of the justice system, you could argue that there is a significant racial component, mostly because of the war on drugs. Voter ID laws are also a very transparent way of suppressing the minority vote because the GOP wants less Democrats voting, there's no getting around it.

I think BLM and like-minded groups might have a good point or two but said points are covered in endless bullshit. Their tactics are all wrong, all they're doing is increasing racial divides, not healing them. They're inflaming racial tensions and shooting themselves in the foot. We need less segregation and more integration. We need less multiculturalism and more melting pots. It's ridiculous that some people are now advocating for minority "spaces" where non-whites are not allowed to enter, the historical irony is completely lost on them, and they don't seem to realize that they need a significant amount of white allies in order to get anything done.

minority spaces where whites are not allowed to enter*

this is pretty much typical in most ''identity'' movements/politics in the last 15+ years

its all based on a couple of feasible points, then covered in a mass of complete shit

it begins with basic western ideas of universality and equality, but since this obviously negates special identity based status the emphasis is turned to ''tollerance'' and exeptionalism, recapitulating feminist empoverment ideas, based on the, more or less instinctive, oxitocin driven notion, that the 'the opressed' or whatever, being weaker must be protected and given special status, much in the same way as a woman would treat a sick child, which implyes 'others' are the problem, others are the ones embodying the system of opression and domination, the ones that must be protected against, pushed against, etc, this then turns into a banal us vs them logic, and so devolves into the most basic, rudimentary human pattern of organising against, offensive/defensive thinking and behaviors, and so logicaly, segregation and conflict

this is repeated in most of these movements, over and over again, weather because generationaly they are all made up of people that read the same literature and so integrated the exact same thought patterns, or because they are just diversified facets of the same gneneral manifestation, its always the same logic - all humans being equal should be tollerated and accepted - i define myself as different than you and demand to be tollerated and accepted as equal - you do not fully accept my discourse and support me since you still hold on to your differences, hence you are the problem, and i will organise against you - i now demand special status and segregation so i dont have to tollerate and accept you

the fact a movement based around racial and ethnic issues falls into this trap is sad and highly detrimental, as well as completely, utterly absurd and counterproductive, the exact opposite of integration and coexistence

Malaysia is probably the best example of over institutional racism, none of this touchy feely vacuous liberal garbage.

Iirc ethnic chinese arent allowed to be elected or some shit.

>institutional racism

prove it or it doesn't exist.

>You could argue the policies the war on drugs created and the justice system enforces are some of the last bastions of institutional racism
Why though?

Maybe black people just use and sell drugs more than other ethnic groups and get arrested for it more as a result? Where does race play into this?

Not to mention the neighborhood crack dealer is always a folk hero in the ghetto and black people rather risk getting shot in the cross fire of two competing crack merchants than "snitching" on their activities to the police.

It's just a made up BS term like "rape culture" or "White privilege"

It's especially egregious to use it in an American context since minorities in Murica enjoy special consideration under law. That means that on an institutional level they get preferential treatment.

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/06/04/the-blackwhite-marijuana-arrest-gap-in-nine-charts/

When it comes to marijuana, they use at the same rate. Not sure about harder drugs, but I'd wager that's more influenced by poverty rates.

It's bullshit. Unless we are talking about discrimination written into the law or some kind of racist conspiracy, where racists agreed to secretly infiltrate institutions there is no such thing.

Many people discriminating against minorities in not institutional but regular, individual racism. Institutions that for example benefit the rich and shit on the poor are not racist either even if the poor tend to belong to a race.

>making shit up

It exists to some extent.

Over here in bongland it was discovered judges were giving harsher sentences on average to black men even when controlling for past crimes, first time offence etc.

But I think most of the of the time its discrimination against the poor which black people seem to be over represented in

>black people don't glorify the drug trade in all of their culture and don't torture neighborhood snitches to death
go away retard

That's part of the problem.People see the consequences, like the minorities are more represented in jails than white people, and deduce it's because of institutional racism. I don't know what happened to sociology since Durkheim, but it seems to have regressed terribly.

Why are voter ID laws racist? They're free

From what ive been told in US you need to pay some small sum. Even if its a small sum some argue itd limit the poors from voting who wants to pay to vote over eating a meal? If they didnt cost anything there wouldnt be much of an issue. Though it might be state dependant too so some might give them for free.

bump

it exsists but its very different today vs the pre civil rights act era

today its not so much overtly rcist law/social forces but its more to do with the lingering effects of past forces and laws and how we unknowingly perpetuate the racist results of such.

>we unknowingly perpetuate the racist results of such.
>you're guilty of it all the time even unknowingly

Leftist original sin?

>rap and twitter memes sum up the entirety of black culture

law and social forces have momentum...a socioty cant be virulently racist to the core for most of its history and then over night stop without lingering effects

not him but this goes beyond media and profoundly influences the behavior of people actually living on the front lines of gang culture.

people living in the hood do indeed protect criminals, are generally uncooperative with law enforcement and really do contribute to an aura of respect around gangbangers. the most common way ive seen people dismiss these facts is by saying that the neighborhood are motivated out of fear to pay homage to gang culture. while that is undeniably true, it is not the full story because mixed in with the fear is the belief that the gang lifestyle represents a legitimate rebellion against "whitey" and that gangbangers have a more "authentic blackness" than say for example the nerd who "acts white" by trying to do well in school. these are unfortunate and ugly truths about ghetto culture and the reasons they exist and are perpetuated are myriad and it would be tedious to recount them here . however it is essential to realize that it is necessary to acknowledge these realities if we ever want to change them and this will require the people living alongside gang life to realize the role they play in perpetuating a culture of criminality and violence.

>what is redlining
>what are sundown towns
>what are Jim Crow laws

I hate BLM but even I realizes black people aswell as other minorities got fucked over for a while and are still feeling the consequences today.

I agree that institutional racism exists. The Constitution originally said that only white Europeans could become citizens, so it's clear that white surpremacy was embedded in the founding of America. And even if solid proof of certain races being dumber than others was found, the legacy of institutional racism would still be a contributing factor in explaining poverty among minorities.

That being said, SJWs who are rewriting the definition of racism to ONLY mean institutional racism are being disingenuous, and minorities shouldn't use institutional racism as an excuse to be dicks to individual white people.