Shaolin Temple

What was the point? Did they train soldiers or something?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhidharma#Shaolin_boxing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu_Dayou#Contributions_to_Chinese_martial_arts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>bandits roaming the countryside
>no one there to help when they raid your temple
>better learn how to defend yourself

Religous reasons

It's a temple. They study scripts, pray, that kind of stuff.

I believe a Chinese monk went to India and traveled back with new martial arts

They combined meditative practives with body movement as a form of meditiation. At its core Kung fu is more of a mental/spiritual exercise

Kung fu today is almost dead. Commies banned it and now its just fake kung fu actors at temples who get payed by the government.

Real buddhism is isolation from society and not taking in money.

First post correct post

This. They even used nonlethal weapons that were designed to hurt like a bitch so the attackers would run and they wouldn't have to kill.

These.

First post best post.

In Imperial China, the law empowered civilians to own weapons and train in martial arts to help keep the peace. Especially when you live in the remote countryside where the nearest military post is miles away.

Everyone rural in China therefore kept an armory and drilled in military maneuvers. Its just that monasteries had more time for that shit because 1) they have nothing else to do and 2) they sit on rich collections of food & money donated to them by the devout, and rich & influential adherents and patrons of buddhism like merchants or officials.

That said, the level of training by these NEETs became so intense it was paramilitary. The Shaolin have partcipated in wars during their history, with their first action being their support of Li Yuan's rebellion that founded the T'ang dynasty, and their most famous act when they were hired by General Qi Jiguang to help out with the pirate wars.

That said, they weren't alone. Shaolin happens to be just a single monastery. The next famous monastery with a storied martial arts history is a Taoist one- Mt. Wudang. Really, if you're a monastery in China you'd probably done martial arts practice. Hell, if Catholicism wasnt prematurely driven off by their own infighting and established a monastery in Qing China, we'd probably see St. Jerome Chan Style Kung Fu or some shit

>Real buddhism is isolation from society and not taking in money.
Lol every Buddhist monastery in Asia sees those rackets as a higher form of begging to support the monastery. Which is what they've always done.

The Shaolin temple does travelling tours to raise money.
The ones in Japan charge you for entering their monasteries in ridiculous rates (compare this to Shinto temples, which are free).
The ones in Korea do the same as Japan.

Only difference is Burma and Thailand, because they're state religions and given loads of money by the state.

Im Theravadin and East Asian buddhism feels very corrupt. It feels more like a cooperation, like the Catholic Church.

Not thats its 21 century these institutions are even more corrupt. East Asian monks just wear monk dress as a costume.

When I lived in Japan one of the local monks had shitloads of sports cars and shit.

>St. Jerome Chan Style Kung Fu

I really want to see this now

>What was the point?
Buddhism and Northern Kung Fu
>I believe a Chinese monk went to India and traveled back with new martial arts
Kung Fu was present in China before Buddhism spread and also before Bodhidharma allegedly went to China. It is also contested whether Bodhidharma even exist3ed with many scholars attesting and citing evidence that he did not.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhidharma#Shaolin_boxing

Qigong it's not the same as Kung Fu.
What is known as Kung Fu is a mix of different techniques learned from here and there.
Yu Dayou arrived at a Shaolin temple to evaluate their skills, and saw that they weren't fighting techniques. He taught them how to fight, and since then they were called to war by the Empire.

those fly kicks will quickly and easily kill someone. Shaolin kung fu done correctly is for war. Maybe not killing, ideally anyway. You could probably take an armed man down with a well executed fly kick and not kill him. Basically its a way to fly through space and attack a guy several feet away from you, ideally before he can react properly. An excellent choice, check m8. No problem for an acrobat who trains for hours everyday

As others have said, the Shaolin monks originally trained in kung fu to protect the monastery from bandits.

Nowadays though, it's to make a shitload of money from tourism. All of my friends from Henan province (where the Shaolin Monastery) is located have told me it's not worth going to cause of how horribly commercialized it is.

>*(where the Shaolin Monastery is located)

Just get a pitchfork?

>Kung fu today is almost dead. Commies banned it

Does anyone actually know what they are talking about when it comes to China?

The amount of "China bans X" posts I see here each day is quite astonishing. It's like 2ch learned english and got stuck on Veeky Forums.

It's easier for people to pretend China is still the same since the 1960s and the crazy commie leadership bans everything.

>and not taking in money.

Actually taking alms from society is core to Buddhist existence and subsistence.

>Hell, if Catholicism wasnt prematurely driven off by their own infighting and established a monastery in Qing China, we'd probably see St. Jerome Chan Style Kung Fu or some shit

Several prominent martial arts styles were introduced by 'Muslim' families in China.

To be fair, China goes out of its way to keep us in the dark about its internal dynamics. There's a billion Chinks, but how many have you seen on Veeky Forums?

>To be fair, China goes out of its way to keep us in the dark about its internal dynamics. There's a billion Chinks, but how many have you seen on Veeky Forums?

More like Chinese choose not to post on an English image board and instead post on Chinese boards instead. Veeky Forums isn't even blocked in China. But Hiroshima has restricted access from China so you'd need to buy a Veeky Forums pass to post from China. There's a couple of Chinese posters on /int/ and /pol/ (besides mostly expats) and they only post here because they know English, unlike 90% of their countrymen.

>Be viking
>get lost
>see monastery.
>comingforthatbooty.gif
>get arse kicked by 4'9 chinese warrior monk.

On the contrary English is widely taught in China and there must be 100 million or more there who speak it well enough to use Veeky Forums. We get posters from all kinds of foreign shitholes here, but barely any from China. Why? Because the Chinese aren't interested in outsiders, they're a world to themselves. So if we know barely anything about what goes on there, it's not 100% our fault.

What you say is true, the Chinese still see China as the center of the world so why should they be interested in anything else. But you're also overestimating their English capabilities. I've been to China several times and their English is abhorrent, even when they've spent 10 years in school learning it. They're basically just taught to repeat sentences without learning how the language actually works or how to have a conversation. My girlfriend barely spoke English when she moved here even though she had English in school for 7 years already. Her English was at the same level that my English was after 2 years of lessons.

>>comingforthatbooty.gif
More like EJACULATINGforthatbooty.gif!

>But Hiroshima has restricted access from China so you'd need to buy a Veeky Forums pass to post from China.

No he didn't. You can't post without a Veeky Forums pass because reCAPTCHA is a Google service and all Google services are blocked in China. reCAPTCHA never worked on ANY site when I was in China. So in the case of Veeky Forums, it really is the fault of the Chinese government. Chinese can be quite active on other English sites that are not blocked or partially blocked such as Quora.

t.laowai who lived in China

Thanks for correcting me on that. I just thought it was down to IP restrictions, the same way when I'm using a VPN.

The language barrier is temporary, machine translation is rapidly reaching the point at which the universal translator becomes a reality. The cultural barrier is the real problem, China is a profoundly inward looking culture that doesn't even seem to care to correct misconceptions about it, let alone actively share with barbarians.

You know that Monasteries in the East had the same functions as in the West right?

I.E. Owning a shittton of land.

>let alone actively share with barbarians.
They're very happy when you're a guest and they can share their culture/country/etc. with you, but they don't care to actively promote it for some reason. I guess it's a "Your loss for not being interested in us" mentality.

Not a prob. Yeah I had heard at one point too that moot banned Chinese IPs because the majority of spammers were posting from Chinese IPs. Maybe it was true at one point, but now it's just an unfounded rumor that's been swirling around.

pretty sure they can't be handed actual money. Alms is food and wealth donated to the monastry can't be actual cash money afaik

But I mean, we all watched the 2008 Olympics? Did that look like a bunch of commie robots stuck in the Cultural Revolution?

1. Veeky Forums isn't popular
2. Chinese don't know written english.
3. They have their own internet websites.

Tell me how many Koreans or Thais or Malays you see on Veeky Forums (Not english teachers or tourists). There are very few.

Written english is known fluently by maybe 2-3% of Chinese mainlanders.

Google isn't banned. Neither are the services.

Google services is just throttled A LOT.

Correct

You can't access google mail in China though. I've unfortunately made that experience myself.

Again, I actually lived in China so it's not hard to notice when my Gmail or any page which uses a Google service continuously fails to load.

>Qigong it's not the same as Kung Fu.
I know that and never said it was.
>What is known as Kung Fu is a mix of different techniques learned from here and there.
I know that as well, and it was present in China before Buddhism showed up and Bodhidharma allegedly did so.
>Yu Dayou arrived at a Shaolin temple to evaluate their skills, and saw that they weren't fighting techniques.
Except they were
>He taught them
His line of staff techniques
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu_Dayou#Contributions_to_Chinese_martial_arts

It's throttled. It's not banned.

But yes this is pendantic