I've reading about the Troubles recently but what makes me curious is what were the opinions of the people of the...

I've reading about the Troubles recently but what makes me curious is what were the opinions of the people of the Republic of Ireland on the Troubles, and why did the Irish government oppose the IRA so strongly?

>why did the Irish government oppose the IRA so strongly?

because most civilised governments are against blowing up civilians

"civilians"

Britain and America must not be civilised governments then.

Except the Irish government opposed the IRA even before they began to bomb England (for example when the UVF bombed Dublin and Monaghan in 1974 the Irish government blamed it on the IRA) and also opposed the IRA during the 1950s border campaign, so that explanation doesn't hold up.

Because they didn't even want NI to become part of Ireland and they weren't going to fuck off the British by helping a fucking insurgency

Because Britain could snap Ireland like a twig.

Because the Northern-Irish branch IRA wasn't just nationalist. They were far-left revolutionaries and considered a threat to Republican institutions.

Because if you trace it back it opposed the IRA in the 1920s, during the Irish Civil War.

elaborate.

>when the Anglo bombs the shit out of your city

Many sympathised and supported the Irish in the north, many saw them as dangerous northern-niggers
Everyone disliked the Unionists
>kill a UVF member outside a pub when he's not in uniform
>british government records it as a civilian casualty

Terrorist without AK and balaclava is still a terrorist.

Didn't they consider the Irish Government to be sell-outs because they negotiated with the British and didn't get NI?

They way i remember it from history goes something like this

Dev knows that there is no way in fucking hell we are getting a full Ireland back and sends over Collins (our top cunt) Churchil and his lads say "ww1 is gonna be over soon and we will fuck you up" so collins and the lads sign. Devs does a 180 and says nah not having it. Bla bla bla Dev gets in charge and says ok boyos enough is enough, may as well make the most of what we have. IRA say "fuck off cunt" and we outlaw them.

Thats kinda how i remeber it, but who knows these things.

Sucks man, they did alot of that kind of thing but they never said a word when the UVF pulled a band (the miami show band) over and just murdered them.

The Eternal Anglo

Because the post-independence IRA tended to be a nuisance for Ireland, and damaged its national credibility

Also even though they protected the Irish minority in the north, no sane person still supports the IRA after 1998

Im not sure I follow you
Im Irish

You'd be suprised man, Gerry Adams came through my villiage ( in Kilkenny) not so long ago, people got in pictures with him. The man has has people killed, we arn't living in the wild west, I don't see why he should be celebrated in this day and age.

I thought he was acquitted

Haha i remember that, dope.
Nah,yeah acquitted or not everyone believes he had people killed down here anyway, some people support him anyway

Haha i remember that, dope.
Nah,yeah acquitted or not everyone believes he had people killed down here anyway, some people support him anyway

>Churchil and his lads say "ww1 is gonna be over soon and we will fuck you up" so collins and the lads sign.

who cares if he killed people?
most of the TD's for our earliest government probably had blood on their hands, civil or sassanach

Michael Collins never killed anyone, but like in a way how Hitler technically never killed anyone.

As in they never killed anyone personally, but gave orders to others to do so.

They lived in a different time. I want a United Ireland, but i think it's safe to say we arn't going to get it through spilling blood. We need someone who can show the young unionists that Ireland is peacful and a forward thinking nation. Not a bunch of proddy hating warlords.

Young Unionists will stay unionists, and will pass on the unionism to their children. The same goes for hardline republicans, because at this point it is all based off of hatred. To be honest Ireland needs to be united by a vote and if the unionists don't like it they can fuck off back to Britain.

To be fair, that was only Germans. The Irish are practically human.

>never said a word
>two serving British soldiers and one former British soldier were found guilty of the murders and received life sentences

>The Germans thought they could bomb everyone else and not get bombed themselves

>Michael Collins never killed anyone
he ordered the deaths of many though, and he might've killed one or two in the Rising

what difference does it make who pulls the trigger

besides what proofs do you have of Gerry ever actually shooting and killing someone?

>They lived in a different time
awful excuse
the struggle was still ongoing for them in the 6 counties, Free Staters have no perspective

Or better yet Ireland can stop playing pretend and just become a British puppet once the EU falls apart.

why would anyone want to join the ashes of a dead empire

why are Brits so arrogant

Keep dreaming Nigel, the EU is here to stay. The only thing that will be falling apart is your country.

>mfw Even if Scotland becomes independent they will never be allowed into the EU because Spain, France, Germany and Italy don't want their own independence movements thinking they can just jump off ship and into the EU
>France, Germany, Italy and especially Spain will ALWAYS oppose Scotland joining the EU
>Scots are eternally cucked

This actually makes me laugh

>
>mfw Even if Scotland becomes independent they will never be allowed into the EU because Spain, France, Germany and Italy don't want their own independence movements thinking they can just jump off ship and into the EU
Fortunately, the English solved that obstacle for the Scots.

The problem still exists friendo

Spain would never let Scotland into the EU. It sets a precedent for their separatist movements to leave Spain and join the EU.

The UK not being in the EU changes nothing.

DO IT AGAIN BOMBER HARRIS

This.
They are terrorists and collaborating with them might have meant risking an abroad intervention from most likely the US.
You know, those burgers like their terrorists... dead.
The Irish government wouldn't have been able (or even capable) to push the narrative of the patriotic freedom fighters hard enough to make up for the fact that they were terrorists - besides Britain had more powerful counter-propaganda anyway.
The risk was too high.

Except the Americans didn't intervene on the side of the British in NI historically (Although if they had they would've probably sided with the British as America's anti-imperialist phase was long gone by then) and the American obsession with terrorism (except when the terrorism affects Russia or other non-American aligned countries of course) only came to the forefront after 9/11.

Also:
>british propaganda is "counter-propaganda"
Kek, nice try beady.

Alright I gotta hand it to you about the pre-911-america not being so anti-terrorist.
Me speaking about "counter-propaganda" was from an Irish pov - I'm not Irish neither English.
But imagine Ireland siding with the IRA and practically starting war against UK - you don't think the US would have immediately sided with the UK?

The IRA are irrelevant in a globalized world, even if they decided to become relevant the British have them riddled with informants.

it's staggering what can happen in the space of 20 years since the 90's

>Alright I gotta hand it to you about the pre-911-america not being so anti-terrorist.
>WTC bombing
>Beirut barracks bombing
>USS Cole bombing
>Oklahoma City bombing
>East African Embassy BombingS

USA was totally kosher with terrorism

Demographics will likely create a Catholic majority soon, and the economic fallout from Brexit might affect the opinions of the economic unionists, so it's all up in the air what will happen to NI in the future.

Still failed to acknowledge, publicly at least, the deep penetration of the security services by prod militants. And Despite knowing failing to deal with the growing issue, instead passing the blame to republican militants.

Yes but the Catholic majority has what it wants within the UK. It has relative peace, it has a stable government in Stormont where it can pretend to be Nationalist by giving the SDLP a second preference vote and they can hold Irish passports.

Sure the economy could be fucked but without an impetus from a Southern government seeking reunification 'special status' is all NI will get with the EU.

Maybe in the future but there are too many obstacles and any change to the constitutional status would require endorsement from traditionally Unionist voters.

Pretty much but it's a complicated situation.
Ireland wasn't get better than it had got in the war of Independence. The British armed forces had control of the towns and cities but had completely lost control of the countryside. Sure they would win eventually but it really would cost the resources they couldn't afford and public opinion was shit at the time. So they came to an agreement, but some people didn't like the agreement and so the forces split, then they voted on it and the pro treaty side won narrowly. Man named DeVelera through a shit fit and caused the civil war, Michael Collins completely wrecked in the anti treaty forces in less than 6 months but died in the process. Sinn Fein split to represent these partys, Finnae Fall and Finnae Gail. They had to let go of the north as 55% of the population didn't want to join them and the former Irish party, the IPP made a balls up in dealing with them annd failed to recognize their admittedly truthful claims that they would be living under Rome rule (see Catholic Churches abuse in schools and control over public life.) However in turn the 55% who wanted to remain British in the North made a balls up in dealing with the 45% who wanted to join and treated them like dog shit, gerrymandering their votes and restricting their civil liberties. This eventually led to IRA 2: Ulster Boogaloo. They didn't consider the south to be sellouts on the most part, mainly a product of the harsh political reality of the time.

ITT: Ulster Unionist Revisionists

If you're a new country that just barely scraped independence from the UK, the absolute most retarded thing you can do is tarnish your reputation as a newly formed respectable nation by supporting a group directly attacking the UK.

The IRA were not terrorists and had a just cause, which then became corrupted largely due to catholics REEEEEEEEEing at how the British sided so strongly with the RUC and Loyalist Paras, and this lead to inner splintering of the IRA and is likely a reason the gangs and terrorists of NI today still call themselves versions of the "IRA."

Ulster Irish people were oppressed as shit and denied peaceful rights to gain equality, but weren't worth the risk of the ROI to condone outright attacks on Britain because Britain could have (and still can) roll over the ROI in about half an hour.

>try to literally starve Britain into submission by killing fishermen, sailors and traders
>get upset when bomber Harris unleashes his fury

wew

>because most civilised governments are against blowing up civilians
is there an addendum to this that retaliation and revenge is permitted against civilian populations?

Mandela has the Nobel peace prize despite being a terrorist

Most of us hate the IRA just as much as the British do, they're not romantic freedom fighters of Plastic Paddy myth, they're knuckle-dragging criminals who are a giant pain in asses both sides of the border

some of the splinters hiding under the guise of republican struggle are sure, only Free Staters and west brits unilaterally condemn the IRA though

>what were the opinions of the people of the Republic of Ireland on the Troubles
We wanted discrimination and attacks against Catholics to end, we also wanted bombings to end. In general people thought it was tragic and stupid, most people were against the IRA bombing campaign (though some supported it) and literally everyone thought the unionist government were cunts.

There's a lot of shitty answers in this thread. Basically the government had fought a civil war with the IRA so the IRA and the republic were opposed to each other long before the troubles started. On top of this was the fact that the IRA was a paramilitary and governments tend not to like paramilitaries. The IRA caused loads of hassle south of the border too so there was a lot of bad blood.

That said, in the late 60's when attacks on Catholics were at their worst and refugees were fleeing the attitude towards the IRA lightened. I think there was even a cabinet member involved in planning to arm them (as well as a supposed draft of a plan to invade the North). That ended in the 70's though.

Throughout the period there would have been GardaĆ­ who turned a blind eye or even colluded in the passage across the border, though this wasn't officially sanctioned. The border areas tend to be more sympathetic to the 'ra, partly because they were fucked over by partition and partially because of British shenanigans.

>>mfw Even if Scotland becomes independent they will never be allowed into the EU because Spain, France, Germany and Italy don't want their own independence movements thinking they can just jump off ship and into the EU
Spain have said they will not veto any bilateral independence. Germany is in love with Nicola Sturgeon. France will do anything to poach business from Britain. Italy doesn't give a shit.

Spain was the only issue and they've clarified their position. You're pretty clueless m8. I don't even think independence would happen but getting in the EU is not concern.

>Spain would never let Scotland into the EU.
They already said they would.

It is because the IRA was the unofficial army of Ireland; they could not have been seen as the official army of Ireland because if that were the case, the English would use their military, which was superior, to crush the Irish in a week.