Finance and Accounting

Hello guys, I'm currently majoring in finance and we graduate 2018. I will have 2-3internships before graduation. This summer, this fall, next summer. What are my job prospects after graduation? If my GPA ends at a 3.2 and I have 3 internships, can I get an investment job? What are the jobs like? Thanks

What uni? And name companies you will do internship for.

Bump, does anyone do finance or accounting? How do you become a trader or investor? How's the job?

Temple university. The most importance is put on the business school. I plan to intern for ey, jpmorgan, deloutte. They all hire but my gpa is 2.83 for now, trying to get it back to 3.3 or 3.4.

Oh, I went to UPenn and I'm near Philadelphia right now.

I'm working as an actuary now and we have loads of actuaries come in from Temple. Apparently you guys have an amazing actuarial program and a finance major is suitable to work as an actuary. So if you can pass the actuarial tests, you have a very good shot of getting hired there, especially with your internship experiences.

However, it depends on your internships. Where did you intern? What did you do? As a student going in for those interviews it's still just all about selling yourself and having an amazing resume.

When you ask some of my Wharton friends to see their resume, it looks like they're high up and know everything about their field. Their resumes are incredible. Go to your Career Services and do lots of resume reviews with them. Also do lots of mock interviews. Take advantage of that.

Then find a job which you can apply your internships to and apply broadly, etc. This is all standard stuff but a 3.2 was about my gpa and I did fine. You just have to interview very well and embellish everything you did. With 3 internships you should have absolutely no problem if you can apply that knowledge.

Also, for investment banking specifically you have to know absolutely everything you can about the markets. Be good with math, sure, but know everything you can about finance and hte markets and take an active interest and be up to date ALWAYS.

KNOW THESE QUESTIONS AND MUCH MUCH MORE:

What's the Dow right NOW? What's a good stock to buy into today? What are some emerging industries that interest you? Do you think the Fed will raise the interest rate this year? How would you walk me through a discounted cash flow analysis? What do you think about X current event? How do you think it will affect X industry? What's the most recent Wall Street Journal article you've read? Read the wall street journal by the way.

Be prepared for absolutely EVERYTHING finance related.

ey and deloitte are quite alright. However, you should focus on jp and other types of players that put a heavy focus on investment banking. Nonetheless, your uni and gpa are far too low to land a spot in investment banking, at least in selling positions (but be my guest if you want to do cash flow analysis for 10-15 years before getting a chance). To be honest, if you want to land such job you need to be seen by the big dogs. The competition is really tough, you will be competing with people from target schools and, most likely, with decent connections. Anyways, you probably won't land a job as a investment banker. I hope this helped you OP.

>What are the jobs like?
you will most likely sit at a desk and look at a computer screen all day analyzing numbers and reading things. Unless you 'know somebody,' you will not advance in the company very far. It's grueling, depressing, soul crushing work.

Whew, as an accountant the only thing I was asked was whether I knew Excel and SAP.

Or, as I may shill as an actuary, you can work as an actuary and have your salary and position completely determined by the number of exams you pass. No subjective bullshit. You pass a test, you move up. You finish passing all the tests (takes about 7 years), you have a super comfy high paying job and can easily go anywhere in the world and with a little time will move even higher depending on the company. At that point I guess it does kind of become subjective, but that's not for a while and there are relatively less people who get there so there is less competition, but still some sure.

Just do whatever you want OP to be honest I'll probably quit when I feel I have enough to live off of for a while and can look into any other industry. I hate my job.

I was a panicking junior with no internships and graduated with no internship, so I applied for literally every job I could find at my university. Everything from investment banking to retail management to fashion design all while trying to bullshit my way through interviews. But the investment banking ones were the hardest and my friends who went off to Wall Street careers as Sales and Trade analysts told me I had to know all the questions I listed above and have opinions on everything.

That's another thing OP. The trick to doing well in your interviews is to HAVE OPINIONS. No matter what it is, have an opinion about something that will affect the industry you are applying for. If the interview talks about Obamacare, talk about how current policy could reduce the number of people who get health insurance and thus reduce the number who can secure life insurance, which will make life insurance more affordable, etc.

But for finance, talk about how you think the markets in China, which are very interesting these days, will affect the US economy and trading and all that. Have strong opinions that you can back up with things you read in the Wall Street Journal and they will LOVE you.
Ok?

In fact I would include that in pretty much any "how do I get a fucking job" thread.

Know your field and HAVE OPINIONS ON IT. As a recent graduate if you walk in able to tie a recent event to your industry and then back up why you think things will turn out a certain way because of a recent wall street journal article or something you've read recently, people will be impressed. They'll think you are a dedicated learner and going places and they will want to work with you.
This is something people from Wharton were doing every single finance-related interview.

OP here, trying to keep this thread alive while in class lol. All my professors require wsj it's pretty legit

I'm just gonna give another opinion/advice if you don't mind. I realize I'm kind of rambling on but it's up to you to read it or not:

Most people here the same old "research the company well, know the field you want to get into" mantra and think it means to go learn everything about the industry, which it does. But where they fail is in tying it all together and forming solid opinions on seemingly mundane things like whether the Fed will raise the interest rates, thinking about how one recent event or something will affect everything else, and then using this line of thought as evidence for your opinions, going beyond just "it will cause X to happen which is good" to "[WSJ article] predicts that X is going up for these reasons, which will mean X happens so less people will be able to afford Y, so our client firms will probably have to raise their premiums which I think will result in a lot of dynamic data for us to analyze as we keep up with rate changes next year. What do you think?" Or something like that. You take an article you read that's relevant, give an opinion on it, tie it firmly back to the job you're applying for even if your line of reasoning isn't perfect, and maybe ask the interviewer for his/her professional opinion on your idea. That kind of thing really works and once you have a job in mind you definitely want, you should be thinking "how can I do that?" with every WSJ article you read until you get the job.

bring that GPA up

Thanks for all the advice, you guys probably boosted my salary by 5k a year. You're not getting anything though lol

Hello fellow philadelphias

I'm going to start economy at drexel this fall.

Should i just give it up and transfer to Mechanical engineering?

I might be biased coming from Wharton but I say to go into Finance.

Once you go down engineering, it's going to be harder for you to get into any kind of financial services sector so I would think hard about which one you want cause they're both going to very tough. What do you actually want to do and why?

I was think of engineering because i love the problem solving aspect and the math involved.

I dont really know what a fiance person does exactly.

Well I was a math major but became an actuary so now all I do is study finance.

I think if you like STEM, by all means go for it, and engineering is obviously a lot more practical for on-the-job knowledge than just math alone. But my advice is just to know exactly what job you want before you go into that major so you can tailor everything you do towards getting that job, including researching with professors or whatever will help you.

I went from STEM to a finance job because I realized I needed to make money and couldn't go to graduate school for years and just try to become a professor or something. I wanted to get out of academia and actually work for a company and that wasn't really possible with pure math except for teaching it. With engineering of course, that is possible. So if you like STEM, then go for it. "Finance people" mostly crunch numbers with excel files and different proprietary software to analyze data, to be honest, and program a lot. Obviously every job varies immeasurably but I think if you don't like the sound of doing that a lot but at a very generous compensation, you should stick with STEM. Obviously up to you though, that's my two cents.

>when his GPA starts with a 2

Food for thought: what is your competition in finance / STEM gonna be like and how do you compare?

You can literally get the same jobs (in finance) with either major, but you will have to differentiate yourself from your peers to get them.

Successful finance grads are extremely hard working, successful STEM grads are very smart.

Finance means getting a high GPA is easy (no offense) but you will need multiple high-value internships to even get considered for prestige positions. Your competitors are well-versed, know what they want and know how to get there.

STEM means getting a high GPA is hard but even one or two high-value internships can set you miles apart. Everyone is basically considered "smart-enough" for the job so what matters is how socially apt you are. How well would you do in the "airport test"?

>planning to get 2-3 internships with a 2.8

i remember when i was like you and trying to get a mech engineering internship during the summer with my 3.8 gpa.

short story is i never got one and still manage to land a job after graduation and work my self up.

The internship market is extremely competitive. so chances are you are not going to land one, but still try.

Bumping because I am in OP's situation almost exactly. Trying to intern at Merrill Lynch this summer, I have a connection

>gpa
>internships
>majoring

fucken sheeples

>3.2 gpa
>2.83 for now

did you just make 50 bucks with a fucking cryptoshit senpai? woah haha fuck skills, jobs and fuck LIFE JACK IN TO THE NET hahaha pump it pu mp it

You are stupid as fuck, I did chemical engineering hardest eng major and got 4.0 GPA and you are doing fucking accounting just lol

>chemical
>hardest eng major
Nice try, brainlet.

>any engineering
>hard

Kek, please brainlet

I'd like to see you get 4.0 GPA in anything you dumb fuck