ITT: we post artists whose work we can't stand but are inexplicably praised

ITT: we post artists whose work we can't stand but are inexplicably praised

I honestly think Mexico just needed more artists so they decided to pretend she was really good and see how many people hopped on the bandwagon.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R2xz9Gayrpw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

she's REALLY ugly, I always think she' from India

According to Hollywood she looked like Salma Hayeck

>honestly think they just needed more woman artists
Fixed
She was actually fucking one of their real artists, which is a big part of why she is so heavily memed

Mexico has some legit artists.

Don't like Diego Rivera either

His style is ugly and so are his themes

>Mexico has some legit artists.
No it doesn't.

>art has objective worth

Nobody said that.

The OP implied that admirers of Kahlo are rationalizing their appreciation of her art, as opposed to appreciation for other artists that is somehow more genuine.

I think that's a fairly good painting.

t. pleb

as a Mexican, i fucking HATE Frida Kahlo and that fat fuck she married.

they we're both horrible people that should have been stabbed in the skull with ice picks.

1. She was Jewish.
2. She was a communist.

That's Why she is famous, even if she wasn't a true talent.

no, her work resonated with surrealism which was the major art movement at the time

Kahlo was a trot, just like the head of NIDA in america
that should tell you everything you need to know

How does that prove Frida was good?

Anyone can draw a surrealist masterpiece and intellectualize it. In fact I'll do it right now.

This represents people's willingness to swallow bullshit.

No I didn't. I just think her art is shit and you have to be a meme loving asscunt to like it.

But that's just, like, my opinion man

"this represents this" is as accurate to how people discuss art as a child's line of scribbles is an accurate representation of cursive writing

well surrealism isn't actually all that relevant as a movement now so it's no wonder people think it's shit, and only people who can look at art in its historical context can appreciate it

i'm really not sure why people post on a history board about art without acknowledging, you know, the actual history of art

She isn't toted as bretty gud painter though. If you ask the experts she's one of the greats.

>history board
& Humanities

>If you ask the mexican experts
Ftfy

i'm glad you avoided the actual point of my argument. shows who i'm dealing with

have fun with your memes

Im not OP faggot I don't have to take you seriously

Rivera was a dreary propagandist who made the same painting a hundred times. Kahlo's work is painfully heavy-handed but she was a thousand times the artist her husband was.

And you avoided the actual point of the OP so I guess you're even.

Pollock can go suck an egg

no i didn't, i said the reason why people liked her was because her work resonated with surrealism, not that 'mexico needed more artists'. i wasn't trying to say if she was good or not just that she is not inexplicably praised when it can obviously be accounted for

who the fuck cares about pollock

The topic of the thread isn't Frida its artists you think are overrated.

Nice trips btw

frida was mentioned as such an artist and it invites discussion on the points raised as to her 'inexplicable praise'. are you the Veeky Forums police?

>who the fuck cares about pollock
The same fags that care about khalo

>are you the Veeky Forums police?
....yes?

Mexican here, I'm as baffled as you are about frida's popularity

first time i've ever seen anyone share this sentiment and i want to let you know that i suddenly feel less lonely now

Mexico here. Seconded. Although I know little on the subject I somehow feel just the fact that she was a woman has had a lot to do with how she's been blown up; and that she was married to Rivera, and the issue of her health too

Rivera's worker-centric politics were very important at the time. His murals at the Detroit Institute of Arts depicting the working conditions of 1930's industrial America are just as moving today as they were upon their debut. Painting about the dehuminization of mass-production may not appeal to we late-stage capitalists, but it has its place.

Also, the he trolled the Rockefellers, which makes him okay in my book.

Pollock hater here as well.
Painting about the death of painting is not painting, you fucker Pollock.

I may not know art, but I do know when I'm being insulted by the artist.

how is it the death of painting? formalism is supposed to be painting at its logical conclusion

Formalism is more like the autopsy report. Painting was dead long before that.

Any of the following:

Orientalism, 19th-Century French and British Academicism, Impressionism, Pre-Raphaelites, German Romanticism, Russian Realism, Futurism, Art Nouveau, Aestheticism, Neo-Impressionists except for Cezanne. I'm sure there are more but these artists are all complete garbage.

again, how?

>lack of objective value means you can't call something shit
Everything that anyone ever says about the external world should be prefixed with an "I think" anyway so tactical nihilism is retarded

>Art Nouveau
Shut your whore mouth. The line work in Art Nouveau is sensual beyond measure.

Marcel "dude Anti-Art LMAO" Duchamp

he's an actually good artist though, aside from his meme stuff, very impressive dude.

Satan return to the fiery pits of Reddit at once.

surrealism isn't entirely pleasing aesthetically. it's more than dali

All art is propaganda.

It's not so much her art people praise. They fetishize her life so shes big with feminists.

Personally my favorite Mexican artists are Rufina Tomayo, Castro Pacheco, Iker Larrauri, Desiderio Xochixiotzin, and Alberto Beltran. Saner is also decent. I probably misspelled some of their names but on my phone apologies in advance.

t. Artist.

Are you talking about dadaism? or surrealist works before dali? yeah those were pretty shit but when you say surrealism most people think Dali and his refined style of surrealism

The 19th century was the true Anti-Art and the likes of Duchamp, Picasso, etc. all tried their hardest to make art more than a quick sell to the tastelet middle-classes who wanted to enjoy art but didn't quite get how it worked, only that it should "look pretty" and be as inoffensive as possible. The true death of art.

Do they like Art Nouveau over there or something? I've never been, so I wouldn't know.

yes breton's surrealism as well as bataille's informe

>inexplicably praised

It's only inexplicable if you're lowbrow as shit.

better than being all brow, like her

t. riven main

lol

>middle class funded 20th Century art

When will this fucking dumb shit end? Do you people know nothing of history? It was the European Aristocracy who actually understood art who funded and patronised these artists.

You're more likely to find some gaudy neo-realist painting in some bourgeois plebs house and find a Picasso in some Austrian Prince's castle somewhere.

hahah that was pretty good

I think you misread my post.

No, I get it. But people who understood art and were raised from children to appreciate arts and forms patronised these men like Duchamp. Not people with no understanding at all.

That's not what I said though. I said they were saving art from the 19th-century practice of making pretty art for the middle-class.

oh, my apologies. Veeky Forums makes me belligerent as fuck these days.

It was a pretty convoluted sentence.

LOL

but with the work posted in the OP. I like the way it looks (other than that crazy unabrow lady) The cat looks cool, the wood swirling around the ugly lady's neck looks cool. There is attention to detail to the picture. Your picture looks like you made it in two minutes.

You should consider leaving it for a while. Being belligerent doesn't make you happy.

Diego was part of the Communist Mexican mural movement

My Great Grandfather was also a mural artist who naively supported Communism with other artists in his community.
I believe he once quoted/expressed admiration for the Mexican mural movement.

I'm a painter and I've had a weird on and off relationship with the modern art world
I've done my fair share of research. Basically in a simple way, if you paint/make art in a way that is "new" e.g technique wise in Pollock's case, then it will usually receive praise of some sort.
But even many Musuem curators and well known figures argue that he should perhaps have been celebrated more for technique and not the finished painting.
That's why sometimes videos of him painting have been shown in exhibitions of his work.
It was a new style of painting no one had really fully taken on before.
youtube.com/watch?v=R2xz9Gayrpw

The photograph killed representational art.

If Hayek had a massive unibrow and a mustache maybe.