Tfw you realize Catholicism is the only religion that stands up to philosophical scrutiny

>tfw you realize Catholicism is the only religion that stands up to philosophical scrutiny
>its thinkers and tradition make some really compelling arguments
>every single day is spent juggling between belief and disbelief, can't commit to anything and don't want to abandon my hedonistic life for joyless abstinence
>start going to church, shift between genuinely enjoying mass and feeling like a retard

How do I deal with this? I'm sure some people here have been in a position where they feel extremely conflicted between pursuing a Christian life or continuing with agnostic apathy.

Are there any ideologies or historical works that provide serious criticism on Catholic philosophy instead of easily dismissing it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Iliad_of_Homer_(Pope)/Book_2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>joyless abstinence
Read Kierkegaard my dude, it's not like that.

>philosophical scrutiny
How about biblical scrutiny? We all know it can't stand up to that.

>pursuing a Christian life
But you said Catholic, you can be either Christian or Catholic, but not both.

The ideas are important, not the words used to convey them user.
Put your book written by men down and look at the universe God created.

My book is written by God

>only religion that stands up to philosophical scrutiny
Ayyy.

Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
For since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never know him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to save those who believe.

The Bible never self claims that it was written by God unlike the Quran.

2 Timothy 3:16

Catholicism is founded on both scripture and tradition. Tradition basically means that the Catholic Church has the right to either emphasize or deemphasize whatever teachings of scripture they deem pertinent.

Basically because they're the only legitimate successor of Peter, and because Jesus wouldn't've put them in charge if he could look into the future and see they'd do wrong, they've been given the privilege of declaring what's metaphor and what's literal in scripture.

They've also been given the privilege of directly lifting philosophical ideas from Aristotle and Plato, and claiming they actually came from Augustine and Aquinas

>Jesus wouldn't've put them in charge if he could look into the future and see they'd do wrong

Jesus is the Almighty though. He had knowledge of future events such as his own death.

This just reinforces the fact that Catholicism is the true word of the Lord.

>Basically because they're the only legitimate successor of Peter, and because Jesus wouldn't've put them in charge
They aren't, and he didn't
>Catholicism is founded on both scripture and tradition.
Catholicism is founded on whatever the pope says. It is directly contradictory to scripture.
>they've been given the privilege of declaring what's metaphor and what's literal in scripture.
No they haven't.
>They've also been given the privilege of directly lifting philosophical ideas from Aristotle and Plato
The Jew seeks a sign and the Greek seeks wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified

Jesus foresaw and ordained the Reformation.

>2 Timothy 3:16
Books don't just get inspired into existence.
Even if the words are inspired, it was written, assembled, and translated by imperfect men.

Don't call yourself a Christian, your religion is Liberalism.

Nothing gets past you, Cletus.

Your religion is willful ignorance.
God's universe is not kind to those who stare reality in the face and deny it.

You will be judged for all your sins before a holy God. You will answer for all your blasphemies.

Question. How did the men who wrote Genesis know what God did. The story doesn't explain if God told man the story. Did he tell Adam and Adam pass the story down?

Did he tell someone else? It just says God did this, but no man was around to witness it.

If it was Adam, then why wasn't he considered an author of the Bible?

>Catholic
>Cletus

how is this the case

That is false, just because protestants are sensitive doesn't mean catholics are not christians

You will pay for your sins in this life. You will face cold reality and it will overcome you.

Men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit

Catholics are as Christian as Jehovas Witnesses. The gospel is as definitional of Christianity as the deity of Christ.
You will answer for every word before the judgement seat of Christ.

But who were they? The story of Genesis is a mystery in its origin.. Who were the men that wrote it down? What was the story of God speaking to them directly?

>You will answer for every word before the judgement seat of Christ.
And I will do so gladly my friend. God bless.

It's author was Moses

I've recently been starting to believe. It's hard, because I've taught myself in the past to sepcifically not believe so it is a very hard step. Hopefully I'll find faith, as I was already living a Christian ascetic life before trying to believe in God, it just came as a natural conclusion of how I ideally ought to be.

Fuck off back to hell, Nestorius.

>tfw you realize Catholicism is the only religion that stands up to philosophical scrutiny
You lost me here

>statue worshippers
>philosophical scrutiny

>Catholicism is founded on both scripture and tradition.

Christianity is founded on scripture and tradition because the New Testament canon didn't even exist for 300 or so years after Jesus died. Scripture alone is a modern invention.

>Apathy

Give life its own meaning

>>its thinkers and tradition make some really compelling arguments

>tfw tradition is an invented collection of forgettings and purposeful rememberings enforced by institutional elites in order to maintain their own authority, mobilize the people, and shape their realities
>OP honestly thinks Catholicism is based off a genuine immutable tradition

Care to explain what those elements are?
The only element of Catholicism that I find persuasive per se is the plentiful convincing claims of miracles. Which are highly problematic to base anything but suspicion off of, for numerous reasons, in gist 1) that they are not by any means limited to the Catholic Church, just more known to it (which can easily have other origins than divine favor); 2) that the Church itself admits that there's no real way for an adherent inside of it to determine a given odd event divine or demonic, much less for one outside of it; and 3) are contradictory, erratic, and give no impression of any beings more potent than minor demons behind them- much less a rational God.
Once one looks and thinks deeply enough it becomes clear that the Church has no solid epistemological foundation to support adherence to it (as opposed to the countless groups claiming to be the real Catholic Church since Vatican II, or to any other religion), and, more worryingly, no clear method of determining what doctrine is or of what must be done to be saved. For all the apparently supernatural events occuring around it, the Church fits into history like nothing more than a human organization with pretentions of divinity. They tout the "liberation" from the Law as something good, but the New Covenant has even more laws than the old one- and nowhere are these clearly written down. Most of what's looked at as doctrine nowadays is mere speculation elevated to that position, while historical doctrines are discarded or reinterpreted at will.

None of even the plebbiest New Atheist objections are actually answered, rather than sneered at, and the fundamental irrationality and bizarreness of the worldview- coupled with the church's utter failure at maintaining and propagating itself- and more importantly at saving souls- makes me doubt that what I'm seeing is anything of a rational guide to mankind, rather than a mess of superstition, occultism, and empire.
Further, its cosmology, given in Genesis, is utterly contradicted by all modern science, and the Church advances no explanation of this- it merely pretends, utterly ahistorically and contrary to all its past champions, that this is no issue and that it places no real value on Scripture's truth.
Most importantly, it's based on the insane and I dare say blasphemous concept of an omnipotent, First Cause God who acts as and one is expected to treat as an impotent, worldly Homeric one. If God is omnipotent then God cannot be sinned against, since that "sin" would have to have been chosen by Him from the beginning of time, or otherwise random and beyond His power- which present numerous other objections.
I don't know what is going on with the Catholic Church. But I don't think it can be what it pretends it is.

I'l leave you with one of my few consolations: en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Iliad_of_Homer_(Pope)/Book_2

Yes, it is, if one looks at any of the Fathers or the historical tradition now ignored.
I'm not sure why you're citing a Protestant.

Well my post was mocking Catholicism. Then Cletus came along, thought it was a sincere defense of Catholicism, and made an ernest rebuttal against it

Protestantism = Jonestown

It is the direct death of christianity and western civilisation as a whole; it is satanic in its origin and ideas

People turn away from religion entirely because every deplorable aspect of so-called "christianity" stems from protestantism

"standing up to philosophical scrutiny" doesn't actually MEAN anything. Whatever you believe in isn't more likely to become true if it already isn't. This isn't fucking Planescape.

>Whatever you believe in isn't more likely to become true if it already isn't.

Thats not what my motivational self-help book TOLD ME.

>It is the direct death of christianity and western civilisation as a whole

What? Why? Do you want a pan-western theocracy where the church is the main land owner in every country like before?

A pope is a prophet of Satan

>New Testament canon didn't even exist for 300 or so years after Jesus died.