Zinn

What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on Howard Zinn?

Other urls found in this thread:

newrepublic.com/article/112574/howard-zinns-influential-mutilations-american-history
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

His work is so bad it's zinnful.

its shit

Not real history.

>people's
I figured out that this means Jew's since Jews only consider Jews to be people.

Decent historian who offers a nice alternative to the usual fare of high school American history education

Zinn proves that assertion absolutely incorrect

That's a meme

Think about it, Jew's Revolution, Jew's republic of China

I concur with this, I remember reading it in 10th grade and it was my first real exposure to a narrative of history beyond great men.

>dude, the history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles! lmao

Mostly just cherry picking the worst events in America to fit his preconceived notions.

DUDE FUCK AMERIKKKA LMAO (btw dresden was a warcrime 250,0000000000 died in the ameriKKKan bombing of the innocent working class PoC nazis)

Not necessarily particularly accurate, but useful for encouraging critical thinking about historical narratives by positing an alternate narrative.

Fucking sucks. America did everything bad and you should feel bad for liking America

He's a fucking communist who hated college degrees.

I read it when I was an edgy 15 year old and even then I felt like it was biased. Don't remember much afterwards tho.
What are some decent, unbiased USA history books?

Decent history book. Preferable to the regular sludge, though of course, not a substitute for any kind of a proper history book that offers specialized examination of the primary and secondary sources.

I'd say it's preferable to most, if not all U.S. standard issues though. If only for the fact it is upfront about the narrative it lays out, as well as continuously offering the standard view coupled with the alternating.

Good book.

> hated college degrees

My GF started reading it and came out an undeclared anarcho-communist. Now anytime anyone does anything bad ever its because of capitalism.

From what I've read, he emphasizes bad things people did in the past, and attributes it to class struggle. He completely leaves out anything positive that came from any of these things.

Your typical "white people are responsible for all the ills in the world and its time for someone else" retard with 0 international/historic perspective. I hate to be cynical but its as if I wrote a book on the history of the US and exemplified everybody as only the positive traits as the Framers and its the world against Americans all the time and everything is an act of aggression.

If you're into the "dude everything is class struggle #resistcapitalism" then i'm sure this tickles your fancy. US high school history is far from in depth or advanced, but this kind of """"""alternative"""""" account is far from an acceptable counter to it

Ones that tackle a single period, conflict, era, issue or person. From what I've read over time anyway this is the case. Any grand narrative of the history of everything is almost always just trying to persuade the reader one way or another rather than inform.

I read it in 10th grade as a comparison to "To America" by Steven Ambrose. It was an interesting alternative perspective but I didn't see it as anything but that

Reminded me a lot of John Dower's work. The premises seem to really grasp at straws, but it gets your noggin joggin.

He's a terrible fucking historian though who believes that actual academic rigor and objectivity in history is useless as history should only be used for the purposes of pushing politics.

The faggot only has one published paper and was more interested in participating in the Civil Rights movement (so he could fuck his black students).

Samefagging but this should be mandatory posting in every Zinn thread.

newrepublic.com/article/112574/howard-zinns-influential-mutilations-american-history

The guy was a hack who was quite shameless about being a hack.

That was actually an interesting read

Dresden was a crime.

War crimes don't exist unless you lose.
*tips Avro Lancaster*

This triggers me because it is so fedora.