/domg/ - Dominions General

Doomstack Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/qaccWnMt

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Play by email guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Debug Mod
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP head first, the best learning experience is by playing the game

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

>Dominions 5

illwinter.com/dom5/

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=TheWorstGame
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for Doom Horrors

FUCK THE GDI

THICC

>barbarians from the statue of war

Pointless?

NO FUCK YOU, THEY'RE GODDAMN HEROS

Mari, are you ded?

Postponing 24h for now, otherwise I'll assume I'm gonna have to set you AI.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=TheWorstGame

is the host of this game a downsy or something?

I hope you are taking good care of your lab rats.

>tfw enemy sends multiple B9 blessed assassins with luck pendants into your fort of N1W1 amazons with water bottles, a nature gem, and a swarm script

Is this a quality lad for killing entire armies?

of chaff sure

though I'd give him a vine shield anyways

this is assuming n9 bless, of course, without which no way. Note that he's lifeless

If he made you spend all those resources, his assassins did their job and then some.

Oh wow, don't turn into MA Ermor now. Also, Sceleria name time and place where all your summoned Super Combatants will be fighting my Kin-Breaker. If they beat him, then I give up, we shouldn't spill all the needless blood when you can prove your superiority just by beating up the apex of my war machine.

I think it's from somewhere else, someone posted here that they were looking for people as a troll, so the admin removed the people that weren't in the signups where it was actually hosted.

That's just a guess, though

water bottles are good to have, 1 N gem is cheap

That said, the script won't help because lul assassination

This thread is already dead. Give me some ideas for a Dominos-related thing I should draw next. I need practice and what is a better practice than practice, right? The author of this and a super half-assed drawing here.

Is there any way to counter defensive RoS on a nation with weak hp mages other than "lol build items for each and every one of them"?

magic phase in a thug
The Sword of Oscarmeyer

Move a thug or SC into the province before your vulnerable mages go in.

Do it either the previous turn, or using magic phase movement.

Thanks for the help.

>invulnerability + stoneskin
Why bother? I would rather have an actual armor to have 30 prot instead of having invuln+stoneskin.

What's wrong with invulnerability and stoneskin? Sorry, new to making equipment for heros.

oh, were you looking for serious replies? sorry, I thought it was a silly build

AFAIK, when looking to see whether damage will be reduced or not, it looks to see what rolled higher, the value of invulnerability or the value of prot + DRN.

You generally want high prot, because invulnerability caps out pretty low on most things.

If invulnerability is what will make that unit work, then that slot could be used for something else other than prot boosting.

I won't lie and say that makes sense, I'll take you at your word and believe it though. Thanks user.

I'm not saying you shouldn't believe anyone ever, but check these things before you make use of them, especially if in MP.

If SP, lol who cares.

Anyway the reason I can confidently state my educated and calculated guesses all the time Is because I have come to understand my intelligence, for example, most people in the world sit while on their computers. A small few thought outside the box and developed something stupid like standing instead. However, has anyone thought of putting their monitor instead of one of the planks in the bunk bed replacing the plank just above your head? Nobody, literally nobody. Everyone is complaining about back pain but no one looks under there noses. There are plenty of example like this where I think outside the box. Intelligence isnt about up to what number you can count from 1 to infinite, its about your imagination.

t. Malakal

Are there any spells that can ruin every province? Stuck in a horrible stalemate that's take several in-game years to win, at this point I'd rather damn the entire world than let some forge fucker have it.

Yeah, some Globals are good for that.

Utterdark
Foul Air
Perpetual Storm
Astral Corruption
Enchanted Forests kinda
Burden of Time

Wish for the end of the world.

Wish for:
armageddon / genocide / (death/end) (world/everyone/everything) Every province on the map loses 20% population. Every unit on the map has a 20% chance of being hit with an armor piercing attack of base damage 15 (+DRN).

Okay, I think I have enough gems to do most of these. Might be able to do the wish too, Pankrator bless you.

Because Invuln is literally 25 natural prot that only works for non-magic attacks, while stoneskin is 15 natural prot that works for every attack.

Invuln isn't bad, but stacking it with regular prot is stupid because your thug will have 25 prot + armor prot against mundane attacks and 15 prot + armor prot agaisnt magic attacks.

I would rather have 15+ a lot of armor prot from a 20+ prot armor.

It simply doesnt stack with stoneskin, it replaces it in case it's mundane and it doesn't do anything if it's a magic attack.

Also Prophet thugs are a really bad idea because in enemy dominion it's going to have less than 10 hp

Yeah, you sore loser, attacking innocent people like that because you can't win against other megalomaniacs like you.

Innocent people have no value whatsoever, once I'll be Pantokrator I'll resurrect the one I deem worthy and send to hell the others, undoing every action against them while I was trying to ascend. Every mean necessary for that end is justifiable.

Pretty sure you are already planning an action that won't benefit you more than others, besides making poor NPCs miserable like you. Doesn't look like an action a winner would take.

Whoever becomes the new Pantokrator will cancel everything and remake the world in his own image, so nothing matters until then.

what game? I might donate

Those 'people' are nothing, they exist only to mine and farm. If anything, i'm freeing them from their boring and dreary existence.

>finding magical stuff
>becoming heretics
>supporting cults
>praising Mother Nature even when it goes against your state religion
>moving the hell away from one province to another
>turmoiling
>killing state-unapproved sorcerers and witches
>being eaten by monsters
>being those fucking monsters
>organizing or buffing their PD because they know better than the player
>and much, much more
"they exist only to mine and farm", my ass.

>18 hours since Vanilla started
>middle of the weekend
>Yomi still doesn't have his turn in

>people take the time that they're allowed to take
>that's an issue

If it's taking him this long to take the first turn, which is literally "set research, prophet or blind expand, maybe move pretender, move scout, recruit next expansion party" then he's not going to take the rest of his turns in a timely fashion, is dead, or is an actual idiot

or has a life.

Bitch i work a full time job and am married. I still do my turns before the 12 hour reminder every time. Step your game up, son

it doesn't matter. He can take all the time he wants as long as he doesn't stale. He doesn't have to give any justification. If you could play in a timely fashion in spite of your life, that's good for you. Maybe he couldn't, and there's nothing you can say against that.

>Dominions
>Not a game about becoming the big bad in order to achieve celestial greatness
eggs into omelettes user

I can say that he shouldn't have joined a game if he wasn't able to take his turns in a timely fashion. If your life is such that you can't take a turn in dominoes before the 12 hour mark, what the fuck are you going to do when late game rolls around?

As other user said, if he can't get a 24h turn 1 in, we may as well boot him now.

A restart now is better than having him stale out when turns actually take time to do.

Admin should have moved the timer up, desu. 48 hours for turn 1 is only reasonable if the game took ages to fill.

Maybe you shouldn't have joined this game if you require people to finish their turn before the end of the time they're allowed to take. The rules are the rules. If people have the right to take 24 hours for their turns, there's nothing you can say about that. Noone HAS to be quicker than that.

But he didn't stale. You're being unfair.

Over 24 hours on turn 1 is a stale, as far as I'm concerned.

The only reason there's a 48 hour timer is because it's a llama default and admin forgot to change it down.

Hm, no, there's still some time to play the turn, so it definitely is not a stale. Your twisted definitions wont change that fact. He has 48 hours total to do his turn and can choose to do it at the very end if he wants. No explanation needed.

It's a dick move to the other players who are actually able to take their turns right now

>can choose to do it at the very end if he wants
Unless the admin is also annoyed with him being not doing turns.

Not necessarily. You don't know what happened on this side of things. On the other hand, it's a dick move to expect him to do his turn before the time he was allowed to do it has been expanded.

What did he mean by this?

It's a dick move to expect him to spend 5 minutes sometime during a 24 hour period?

It is a dick move to be angry at him when he didn't break the rules. If you're so hasty, play in a game with different rules.

I want to try LA Mictlan for the first (and probably last) time in Dom4 MP. What do you think about this pretender? I decided to go with smaller bless, to get nice scales.

If this idea/execution is bad/suboptimal, elaborate why.

For someone relatively new, and still pretty bad is there any point jumping into MP at this point or should I keep practicing against AI until Dominions 5 comes out?

I would argue B9 is effectively obligatory seeing as that otherwise neither Jaguar Warriors or Ozelotls can reliably punch through LA armor otherwise. The scales are also fine.

Now, I believe and I think most would agree that double bless would be preferred (strong early game is the best endgame and all that), but I find F the preferred minor bless so that's fine. However, if you are aiming for Dom8, Hun Balam isn't the cheapest way to get it. With Dom8, Fountain of Blood would get B9F4 23 points cheaper, which affords an extra scale and I don't think a monster pretender has much value at all at that point. Luck has anti-synergy with order but synergizes with all good scales as well so I find L1 preferable over imprisoned pretender mobility. Another possible option with core idea of B9 monobless with strong scales would be Smoking Mirror with F4D4B9, granting you death access, although you have to take 2 lower dominion for it (in terms of dominion spread that's rather negligible, but it does limit the initial recruitment potential of sacreds, leading to worse expansion, something that I personally value highly).

But generally, it's a sensible core idea and a good pretender to go with it (although Fountain with one luck scale would, in my opinion, be better).

Finding dom 4 MP games will become increasingly hard with time as soon as dom 5 comes out. I'd say you should take advantage of the time bing to try, since you wont be able to afterwards.

Being bad and getting absolutely rocked won't be a problem? I've gotten fairly decent with a couple of nations and can reliably expanse to 12 provinces in a year, but aside from that I'm still learning most of the nations and how to actually design my pretender optimally.

I don't want to spoil an entire game for people by being an absolute pushover.

I think you're valuing scales too much and should go for a doublebless.

Mictlan's best stuff is blood summons and their recruitables have low upkeep because of sacred.

I don't think you'd have big gold issues if you took turmoil 3 instead of order.

luck 3 is more important than anything else too

How to cure mute? I have crafted the chalice and still can not heal it.

Luck 3 won't protect you from provinces with Death scales due to Magic Sites and "Death scales for your dominion, bub" thrones.

well you just don't cap the shitty thrones that give death scales

Chalice can't heal the undead. Try Gift of Health.

Is an angel undead? It is described as magical being. I believe they are closer to the living than undead.
Anyway, I will try, thanks.

Angel isn't undead. Undead are labeled as such. Just give it time then, there's no reason the Chalice can't heal your angel.

I just took another look at my pretender after getting confused about the scales on my capital and apparently I'm an absolute madman

ded

I prefer N9B9 because your jagguies get shredded a lot faster in LA then in EA. The extra HP+Regen really helps

I love Dryads!

I love Sirin!

I love Dryads, I love Sirins, I love Harpies, I love Lady Middays, I love Alkohosts, I love Drakaina, I love Naginis, I love Cloud Villas, I love Mountain Villas, I love Gamayuns, I love Rusalkas, I love Bereginas, I love Ho Hsien-Ku, I love Bolla of the Bountiful Forest, I love Queen of the Sea, I love Queen of Storms, I love Faery Queen, I love Queen of the Clouds, I love Queen of the Deeps, I love Queen of Thunder, I love Queen of the Lake, I love Amazons and I love Bodhisatva of Mercy. Fight me.

I love you!

leave

Thanks, ain't you a kind person?

how do i expand as marverni? carnute bare chests?

Marverni javelineers. They die, but what do you care?

because then they run away and dont make me money

I've found javelins/bare-chested warriors with javelins the best option. They're complete garbage against elite troops of most nations, but in terms of expansion, they allow you to field the most expanding potential per turn.

40 of them set to fire closest will roll any EA indie that isn't heavy cav. You lead them with indie commanders

So do a lot of indies, upon receiving a volley of javelins.

You might still want to consider taking an awake pretender (Thrice-Horned Boar is nice) to supplement the expansion further, though.

rlyeh you dumb fuck respond before I wipe your sorry nation off the face of earth

You won't be the only one. It's really nothing to worry about.