How do I get into this industry?

It looks like fun, requires capital to start, and no mexicans are allowed (not racist, just don't like cheap competition).

How do I break into this industry?

looks rad

>know how to operate the equipment
>find small companies that need foundations dug or other types of construction work you can do
>Rent the equipment after you get a contract and downpayment
>Eventually when you have more consistent work, buy the equipment yourself with a cheap loan/lump sum payment
>When you get too busy, start hiring employees to replace yourself

I am missing step 1
>know how to operate the equipment

What is a good/cheap way to learn?

Experimentation.
What could go wrong on a 10 ton metal death machine..

There's probably a youtube video on it.

Get hired as an operator at an excavating company.

good old learning by doing. its not that hard and you will have alot of fun while learning.
but you will need a guy with relavant experience, for the job you are doing. ex. a concrete guy.

basically just get a job

Rock quarry annon here. Can drive anythibg with wheels and most things with out. Its a lot of things but i wouldnt ever call it fun. Its boce being in a heat/ac cab finally. Get a job at a mine sire or construction company. Pay attention to the guys that are good af and crawl in some machines. Its like anything else. Becomes second nature. I could load 15 ton of rock into a truck blindfolded.

>this industry
Which one exactly?
Manufacturing those things?
Designing them?
Manufacturing as a supplier?
Manufacturing spare parts?
Servicing them?
Renting them?
Using them?
Arbitrage between those needing them and those having them?

I was planning on one of these

>Servicing them?
>Renting them?
>Using them?

well for 2nd you need a lot of capital to buy several so that you can rent them.
Not to mention all kinds of insurances.
You may want to start a bit smaller, particularly since most count as special-vehicles and are produced by hand with the corresponding price tag (hundreds of thousands up to many millions).

3rd one you will have to find someone who rents them or you buy maybe one yourself. Again a lot of money upfront.

1st sounds more or less doable: Find a repair shop or factory/workshop from the manufacturer and try to get an aprenticeship there.
Once you have your journeymans certificate you can either work there if they take you or see if you can start your own.

"Find a repair shop or factory/workshop from the manufacturer and try to get an aprenticeship there."
This is in america
no such things as apprenticeships or jorneyman.

Those are union words...

They are actually really cheap on alibaba, the chinese kind.

Like 110k for what would be 500k in germany.

right, sorry I was still in germany/switzerland.

Then how do those people working there get hired and qualified?

yeah possible, but take for example a small horizontal drilling machine and you are down 500k at least.
"mainstream" excavators may be cheaper.

I would assume they hire mechanics, and teach them how to fix that machine.

and where do the mechanics come from?

I learned how to operate a loader, skid steer, bucket truck, and hot box by working for highway maintenance with DOT.

>was snow event and asked if I could learn how to operate the loader to load the spreaders with salt
>sure thing buddy

>arrived back at the shop one evening and a mechanic just finished working on a skid steer
>asked if I could drive it around the lot
>sure thing buddy
>few weeks later we took out digging ditches and asked if I could operate it
>sure thing buddy

>took bucket truck out during snow event cutting down dead trees
>was standing around smoking cigarettes arguing over who gets up in it
>I will do it
>sure thing buddy

>brought the hotbox out laying down new pavement on the shoulders
>nobody wanted to get in it
>I will do it
>sure thing buddy

Mexico

trade schools are a joke in US
If i went to germany as an EU citizen, could I force them to give me an apprenticeship in commercial driving + free german classes?

You dont need to force them, they will probably give them to you for free as an integration measure, if you apply at the right places.

As someone who has operated anything from litteral scrap yard machines to fucking 650k CATs and Komatsus i will trll u there is an obgiius reason that chinese shit is cheap on alibaba.

Not even wirth the metal thats in them.

Find a cimpany that has shit ewuipment. Apply there. Easily hired that day because high turnover rate and shit pay. You are a mechanic first and operator second. Shit is always broke. You either are helping someone else, wrenchibg on your own shit, or helping the mechanic. The mechanic is a roustabout babysitter and will teach u or u learn by watching.

I grew up envying the mechanics and. Dad is a hotrodder and the best mechanic i will ever know. I simply dont have enough patience and have potatoe strength upper body. Nust twist shit off or get pissy and break shit. Always counter productive. But after a lifetime of being around mud trucks and hot rodders i can finally hang. Now that the old chevys are drying up i can finally work on them...

Time to into efi i guess...

THIS... THIS SO FUCKING MUCH.

From a young age i had anxiety and wanted to work harder than everyone. And not get into trouble at work. I would akin getting fired from a job to being a convicted baby rapist in japan. It would shame my entire family. Easiest way to get fired is get in a machine and fuck shit up. Wouldnt even run a fucking backhoe until i was in my 20s and forced to. This lead to other shit, me growing up to be a man and having my own values, and then finally becoming well known enough in my small town that i can just be me and tell people to suck a fuck if they dont like it without my dad being ashamed. I feel like i have earned it. We are both crippled and broken and idgaf. Lots of ups and downs working hard but i dont regret it.

If i have one piece of advice for any young man willing to work it is go to trade school, vo tech, or just jump in any equipment you can. I can jump in a 90 ton haul truck that both weighs and hauls another 90 ton and almost fall asleep just bumbling around. I can drive and 18 speed semi in the mountains. I can load a dumptruck with 15 tons of rock blindfolded. Can open a beer with a hoe. Can set the shovel bucket within a 1/4" of the floor and drive my pickup in it and swing it around. Not bragging at all. But this is a life lesson i wish id learned a lot earlier.

>trade schools are a joke in the us...

>be me
>know 50 kids
>all 50 kids graduate high school, move 3 hours north, party in camper and tent city
>go to 9 months of welding school
>buy brand knew diesle duallies and start cutting up the bed.
>heartattack.jpg
>all ducking 50 make over 150k a year working 50-70 hours a week roughly 1 year at a time, then take 2-6 months off and dickoff building mud buggies and drinking beer at home.

pipelines get built once
their welding careers won't last forever