/indie/ Indie and Misc. Games General

Last thread:
>What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as RUINER, Cuphead, Heat Signature, Steamworld Dig 2, LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, OneShot, Rimworld, Age of Decadence, VA-11 HALL-A, Subnautica, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Darkwood, Card City Nights 2, Braid, Monolith, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, West Of Loathing, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago and /jrpg/ is welcome.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

>Link to the winners of the GTP Indie Cup.
pastebin.com/u9TYjkj3

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/404680/Hob/
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/obsidian-dlc-survey.118558/
store.steampowered.com/app/362680/Fran_Bow/
store.steampowered.com/app/586240/Soul_Searching/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Maybe we wont die this time!

Maybe.

Well since I posted the thread with the image, I just beat Oxenfree like four times in a row. Not particularly because I loved it but because I wanted all the achievements. It was an alright spooky walking sim though the movie Triangle done a lot better

>Triangle

I'd eat my hat if Oxenfree wasn't at least inspired by Triangle. Obviously not just the fact that there's a bunch of triangles in it but the boat bookends gave a similar vibe, and obviously the certain themes/mechanics.

One more post before I must leave. I pray others find this message, lest /indie/ truly be dead until we get another burst of activity as is tradition

I bought three games about exploring derelict space stations without realizing it.

oops

>until we get another burst of activity as is tradition
Expedition when?

I fully blame this on the user who didn't want to talk about Underrail all the time. What an irresponsible thing to say.

what if we talked about LISA
or has that boat sailed

What if everything Lisa thinks happened was all in her head? There's zero outside evidence and Lisa is insane and likely an unreliable narrator.

Sorry, I've been gone for a while. Haven't played any indies in a while.

So what have been games you guys have been enjoying, or what are other games you're excited for?

How's Grimoire, Cook Serve Delicious 2, Card City Nights 2, Cuphead, Figment,
When It Hits the Fan? Any should be added to the list?

Absolute trash
Not as good as the first one
No idea
Pretty nice, but it has its flaws
No idea
No idea

Been playing Subnautica lately, the main aspects are pretty much done and they finally fixed one gamebreaking bug i've been having and now i'm having a blast.
Although i'm kinda not sure what to do now that's the seabase is fully built. I know about the alien prison but i'm spooped about getting there.

Is the Specter of Torment really good? I've tried it and couldn't get used to the controls and didn't like the level selection, loved Plague Knight though.

Impressive. I know Cryptark is good. Hope the other 2 are too.
Hob.
store.steampowered.com/app/404680/Hob/
Overall quite fun, ending sucked, Ogre engine literally almost killed itself near the end repeatedly because they're using a shoddy in-house that was build for ARPGs with relatively simple graphics.

Sorry, I've been absent from indie for the last two weeks because I got drawn back into a game. I normally try to keep the thread bumped otherwise.

>Hope the other 2 are too.
Me too. I've been having so much fun with Cryptark and Heat Signature that I haven't gotten around to them yet. I was worried that the side-on view of Cryptark would bother me when the gameplay is virtually equivalent to a top-down perspective, but it didn't interfere with my enjoyment whatsoever once I started playing.

Grim Dawn's expansion is coming out on October 11th. Can we add that to upcoming releases?

It all depends on how much you like wall running and levels designed around wall running and Specty's cross dash.

It's pretty fun if you like fast paced platforming.
Although I don't think anything tops Plague Knight's campaign.

Obsidian has anew survey on DLCs. Don't expect much from it, it's the usual shitty survey with mostly alarming options to pick from. But fuck it, maybe someone wants to fill it out anyway.

Veeky Forums thinks it's spam, so here's the codex thread with the link:
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/obsidian-dlc-survey.118558/

>Cook Serve Delicious 2
not really finished on release
it's become less unfinished since then but there's at least one more significant update before i'd call it complete

Obsidian would need to be capable of producing something I care about for me to care about their approach to DLC. Go do your market research elsewhere.

store.steampowered.com/app/362680/Fran_Bow/
Really good point&click adventure as daily deal.

>really good
>point&click adventure

bump

jump

Better than VNs

No one that I care about still works at Obsidian

>start The Long Dark for the first time
>"Story? Ain't nobody got time fo' dat! I'll figure things out!"
>dive right into the sandbox on normal difficulty in Mystery Lake
>isn't pleasant at all
>stray around the lake cabins, make myself a fire, stray through some valleys, find a train track, follow it to Carter Dam, sleep in one of the mobile cabins outside
>stray through Carter Dam, stray through some river valley, stray through some caves, somehow end up in Pleasant Valley, fall down a small cliff
>follow along a road, get chased up a hill by a wolf, find shelter on Signal Hill
>wake up in the middle of the night, can't see anything from Signal Hill because of the darkness, go back to sleep until daylight, can't see anything from Signal Hill because of fog
So after two days of hopelessly wandering and not finding appropriate shelter I'm on Signal Hill, utterly overencumbered, I have a hunting rifle with ammo now, but I have absolutely no clue where to go without freezing or exhausting myself to death, and I don't know which items I can leave behind or whether I'll ever return. Is this the experience with that game every time? Because this makes being stranded in the Canadian wilderness in winter seem utterly gruelsome.

The major point of Sandbox is to learn the environment and survive. The goal is life and nothing else. The Challenges are more structured and goal-oriented without taking away from the openness of it.

Hot opinion you got there, chucklebuck.

Yeah, same here. It's not that I wish ill on Obsidian, but if ill were to find them it wouldn't affect me much.

Smug face with greentext is not an opinion, it's a shitpost. Know the difference, it could save your life.

So this aimless wandering is normal then? I would've expected things to go more orderly, establishing a home base or something.

Nope. You can hoard supplies, but it's tedious. Easier to just roam and hole up when need arises if weather goes to shit.

where are the cuphead lewds at? gonna need some of hilda berg

thanks user

I cant wait for /chg/ where I can be a degenerate all day and all you phonies will say you hate Cuphead because of people like me in the fanbase

Are there any hidden mechanics to hole up if you haven't seen shelter for the last half day and are cold and exhausted? Or do you just roll out your bag and pray you don't die?

The latter.

this is good stuff, really mellow

store.steampowered.com/app/586240/Soul_Searching/

well for now __we__ have /trash/

Any news of when the next enter the gungeon update is out?

dankest dungeon is on sale on >steam for 60% off
the dlc is 20% off too i guess

Is Dashbored getting any new content in the near future or is it save to play it now?

> a narrative survival game
That sounds like an ill fit but I like the look. The dragon or whatever looks cute.

any torrent with the latest patch for underrail?
there is only old shit on public trackers

rutracker has the latest, pretty sure

Kind of an Edna and Harvey knockoff, isn't it?

Alice fits more I say.

There is way too much stuff happening and being introduced with no explanation in this intro.

>mfw the strategy games podcast Three Moves Ahead did an episode on Tooth and Tail

I forgot my face

What made you look at Blade Kitten and think "yeah I'll be having that"?

Thoughts on Monolith?

one of my favorite roguelikes so far

Have any of you guys added to the Underrail wiki before? I've worked out some information on crafting quality effects I want to add, but you need to email Styg for a wiki account.

I understand why they made it a rogue*lite but it fails to utilize most of the hallmarks of the genre to any great effect. The only thing it has going for it is the fact that it's more technically demanding than most topdown roguelite shooters these days.

Gimme an underrail build.

Hercules addict

So email styg you fucking autist.

Wow man, no need to jump down his throat.

jaded doctor
crossbows, biology, chemistry, persuasion

Why is biology so fucking awful?

Yeah okay I will.

Because fishing.

Other than that I like it quite a lot, not sure what your problem is.

drug addict chemist
chemical pistols + biology

if i take every single crafting skill, what else would be good?

Throwing makes good use of chemistry and biology.
Guns make good use of chemical pistols or energy pistols.

Can't remmeber I got it way back when I first got on steam during my first sale.
The gameplay itself is pretty fun. Decent plattforming with lots of optional exploring.

Fishing is dull.

Does anyone know where to find Captain Mareth so I can gas the free drones? I searched pretty much most of the under-passages, killed a shitload of lurkers, and still can't seem to find him.

Rail Crossing train stop -> South 1 -> Stairs down

>Have any of you guys added to the Underrail wiki before?
Yeah.

>but you need to email Styg for a wiki account.
That or PM him or epeli on the official forums. The point is to keep bots away, last thing the wiki needs is articles about anal sex.

Alright lads I've got 2 more feat choices for my psi monk. I've been avoiding metathermics but I have some extra skill points so I may go into it a bit. For my final 2 feats I'm now trying to choose between Neurology, Pyromaniac, and Thermodynamicity. Any suggestion?

cheers

>twice more powerful hypos
>40 HP regen for 6 turns
> +2 DEX AGI CON PER and 20% increase in weapon skills for 4 turns
>15% more crit chance for 10 turns
>immunity to stun and incap for 3 turns
>15% less damage for 8 turns
>100% more psi crit damage
>various poisons

>awful

Neurology I guess, that extra psi will be more useful than the other two at this point. Pyromaniac is sweet as fuck and Thermodynamicity is useful, but both of them are the kind of feats that peak early in usefulness and are needed less and less as the game goes on. If you got this far without them, they are not going to be game changers now.

I figured as much. Maybe I'll take Power Management instead just to make a really powerful shield.

It's not that fishing itself is that dull, but it's a royal pain in the ass compared to gathering everything else.

Everything is full of huge bodies of water, but you have no way to tell which tiles hold fish without mounting the rod and waiting. And even the tiles with fish run out after a while so then you are forced to find a new one, or if it's one of the rare fish spots maybe even wait for fish respawns. And then it's up to RNG whether you actually get a couple of your rare fish before it dries up again.

Like, for fuck's sake, just compare this to picking up mushrooms you can see or hunting down animals you can see too. You can immediately tell if they've already respawned or you'll have to wait more, the biggest annoyance is just the drop rate. But none of this try half a dozen tiles and maaaaybe you'll know if there's a point in trying more of them or you need to come back later.

Damn I wish I could throw an apple right now.

tfw no chemical assault unit gf

Hate to say this, but you have dog shit tier taste in women. If you don't feel an irresistible urge to shoot Dess in the face after the first giggle there is something seriously wrong with you.

Jesus, Asura pisses me off.
I suspect that you DON'T regain your HP when levelling.

>I suspect that you DON'T regain your HP when levelling.
Unless regaining HP when leveling is an advertised/listed feature of the game, I'd suggest you put on your big boy pants and deal with it.

It's standard in most games to regain HP when levelling.
Except Dark Souls, but in Dark Souls, you usually level up next to a bonfire, so you don't notice it.

you should play asura's wrath instead
it's more fun

WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH

BABY NEEDS ACHE PEEE

BABY NEEDS ACHE PEEEEEEE

WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

followup: or watch the 2012 movie called asura
it was a good time

>It's standard in most games to regain HP when levelling.
Not really. What is almost standard is that you get your HP to the new max if you leveled up with full HP.

>developers should follow convention for the sake of following convention
I've played plenty of games where leveling doesn't give HP but the precedent doesn't matter either way because what's important is what the developer wanted for their own game, not what they had to slavishly ape from other games because some mongrel felt that it was unfair that leveling up didn't heal him.

I don't think it does that.

Isn't that a God of War-like?

>191261826
Nice strawmanning mate.
Not enough to earn a (You), but enough to win a mention.

Its interactible elements are token at best, and it can't even make the claim of being like GOW.

I said "Gears of War-like" to avoid saying "QTE & button mashing galore while being revered by edgy teenagers".

Thanks for the super (You), mate. Glad to see I touched a nerve. Git gud next time instead of bitching that developers didn't include a mechanic simply because other people used said mechanic in their game.

>literally a movie
>a shitty one at that
>ending is dlc
>capcom
no