/mcg/ - Minecraft General - DED Edition

Previous thread ► 1. WELCOME

We discuss Minecraft, modpacks, projects, building ideas, etc...
Share server stories and keep the screenshots coming, we want to see more builds!
If you develop mods or anything Minecraft related, keep us updated so we can give feedback.
Don't spam your server or discord here; use the list from the link below to advertise it.

[ ! ] For 1.10+ Use foamfix and Optifine with terrain animated turned off

► 2. NEWS

>[24 sep 2017] Noodlor's World-o-Walls (redux version) is completed! Including a world-download (1.12).
imgur.com/a/dQmq1

Twilight Forest is out for 1.12

► 3. USEFUL LINKS

>/mcg/ General text (use it to contribute news and info for the next thread!)
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/mcg-op

>Modding Tools & documentation
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/mcg-modfaq
mcforge.readthedocs.io
github.com/TOLoneWolf/curseDownloader

>Server list (own a server? Please move to the new Serblist.com)
serblist.com
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w0Nywo6sZcexcYb46hTOfAwElaeUlPoCC4DKRFcMWYQ (Old)

>Ideas & Inspiration
mcnoodlor.imgur.com/
elworrier.imgur.com/
imgur.com/a/JPif9

>Castlefag's map
mega.nz/#!h3hi0TQR!areDzeQYr6RACXyDX-HE49BEIePIHze3liNoXg6Dhqg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=976E3gd0PIc
youtube.com/watch?v=CfwTG1EvL2c
youtube.com/watch?v=mawTCv4BvGY
youtube.com/watch?v=uUty7uPX0IU&list=UUpv-IKyVsBJIJRadHjFN3-A&index=20
youtube.com/watch?v=gIQm-XxKHQo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gotta love doing early game again with no step boots or other conveniences

ded indeed

>start again
>make very simple house with basement and tunnel stairs
>had really bad luck with diamonds in old world
>find 15 in about 30 mins

Why does minecraft get so much heat, as if it's a bad game? Is it because of the 12 year olds that make up a lot of the fanbase?

It's a good game goddamnit.

youtube.com/watch?v=976E3gd0PIc

It hasn't gone anywhere in years despite continued development which has mostly been a detriment to modders who have, individually, released more in a few months than mojang has in that entire time spam

but that's me, depending on who you ask it'll be the autists, the autistic gameplay, or other shortcomings

>tfw minecraft makes you feel more then any other game
how did he do it

Gentlemen, how do we improve Zombie Pigmen?

It's wasted potential: the game
It also prevents other games from realizing this potential because of its inertia, every other game gets called a clone
But mostly the fanbase

Nah, fuck off with that argument. Any game that comes along and expands on what minecraft offers, without being a washed out version of minecraft, will steal its thunder.

The biggest hurdle for any competing game is the modding community gathered around minecraft, mostly because the vanilla version is so bare bones that it offers endless directions for modders to alter the base game. Another misunderstanding by game developers is trying to make a minecraft with a more detailed aesthetic, not realizing that the blocky art style of minecraft is what makes it such an expansive building game; the player only ever lays down one pixel worth at a time of a larger structure, allowing for limitless customization as you build bigger. A more detailed graphical style will require larger sections of building material be pre-rendered, which would lead to less customization on buildings.

The biggest problem with minecraft is its own development team which caters to the 12 year old shits who barely scratch the surface of what they can do in the game.

I was playing recently to check out the new features and was not very impressed. Like user mentioned, it's only changed marginally, and not necessarily for the better.

With the new combat system, there's a delay after you raise your shield during which you are unprotected. For example, if I see a skeleton nock an arrow, and I raise my shield and wait a couple of seconds, I still take full damage. You're forced to stop attacking after each strike so that you have enough time to hold your shield up well in advance to block the hit. Previously you could at least reduce damage reactively by blocking with your sword; now you can't do that.

The balancing of the woodland mansions is also absurd. I traveled over 3.5km in the nether to reach one, a long journey in pure vanilla, and the only loot I had to show for it was one totem of undying, two lapis blocks, and two diamond hoes. The first is a consumable that's pretty much useless if you're already in the end-game, and the other two aren't even worth anything. The structure and new mobs are cool, but clearing the mansion doesn't take long so not even that experience makes it rewarding. If you want to connect it to your base, you have to spend hours digging/building a tunnel in the nether and use well over 1k iron ingots for the minecart tracks. Using exploits to get above the bedrock makes it much easier, but the game shouldn't be balanced around using exploits. Even if you do that, the material and labor cost to build the track is extremely high and I'd rather just use the resources for a project closer to home.

One odd feature they added moves your items back to your inventory if you exit something like a crafting table interface. Why didn't they just allow the crafting grid to store your items?

They have added a couple of nice things that allow for more interesting redstone contraptions, but they've done essentially nothing to the core game aside from making combat more annoying.

I admit I like the combat system in the newer versions, if only for the axes being really strong with a jump attack and the shields, which are probably so easy to obtain, more so the materials. Those are two features I'd love to see backported, along with the post-1.7.10 mobs.

isn't the new combat system a 1-1 of a mod

It's good enough that I've been playing it without long breaks since 2009 and I feel like I still haven't gotten tired of it. But bad performance, shit mod support (aka mods being split among versions, and a lack of official API), combined with Mojang's total inability to add anything meaningful and fix broken things always leaves me dissatisfied.

It's great, at times I get so engrossed that I forget about the bad things. But the fact that Minecraft never actually reached it's potential is always there.

minecraft by the core is complete and utter rubbish held up by nostalgia and autism

mods are what keep it good, similar to skyrim and every other bethestard game

>Nah, fuck off with that argument. Any game that comes along and expands on what minecraft offers, without being a washed out version of minecraft, will steal its thunder.
But there are and were already several "minecraft but better" games which due to lack of support got nowhere, the most promising one I forgot it's name but it was made by the guy who made the higher build level mod which it had a beatiful trailer and looked 1000% better than Minecraft but it's trailer didn't even reach 300 views.

>thread dies until people argue over how other games are better but didn't get anywhere

you know you could at least post screenshots of your building or something

but i'm at work

>says man posting lewd

How come my PS4 Dualshock 4 controller doesn't work at all in my Amazon Kindle HD 8 for Minecraft PE?

I do that all the time. They don't get enough responses to keep the thread bumped though.

Tell about the chains

>lewd
>clothed
pick one and only one

whats that meant to be in the water user

Garden stuff.
What?

>a Woman Showing her cleavage is not lewd
what are you gay?>

The floating thing in the middle of the screenshot

A boat.

I already posted all that I've done recently.
I love your stuff user but builds usually don't get that much feedback though. If anything could you post more of the brick factory?
I think that's an Archimedes Ship.

Fair enough. I'm fine with discussion like above, but sometimes we get so much drama and baiting that I wish people would post actual game content.

At this point excluding you and me I doubt there are more than 5 builders that lurk the general, it's sad that I haven't seen many good and creative posters in a long time...

>>had really bad luck with diamonds in old world
>>find 15 in about 30 mins

Grats. Not sure what your typical mining method, but with Vanilla world generation it's advised that you search for diamonds on y=12. Lava lakes will spawn at your feet, so you don't accidentally dig into them. When you do find the lava lakes, the surrounding lakes will expose a large surface area, which can make finding diamonds easier.

1. The fanbase and primary marketing target is mostly young children, which causes it to be dismissed by other gamers as a casual, kid oriented game. The same issue with Pokemon really.
2. The game's design philosophies are at war with each other. New mechanics don't mesh well with the old, and Survival is being overshadowed by the prevalence of minigames.

Nether Villages. But good Villages, not shit Villages like the overworld has.

No, I don't believe that's the case. I haven't been able to find any equivalent mods for 1.7.10 at least, and afaict the only good combat mod is part of the LOTR mod, which is very much not standalone.

I tried last thread to help an user get better. He and everyone else ignored it.

A lot of the modded community just plops down machinery in a field with a fence, if even that. We don't know how to build stuff that looks good. Teach us your ways, is it possible to learn this power?

mine and blade: battlegear?

Can we talk about the design decisions around popular mods and where we feel they particularly succeeded or failed?

>TiCon
For me, I think Tinker's Construct is a great improvement on Vanilla tools in theory but falls flat in the implementation. I like that tool improvement isn't done solely through some poorly explained magic augmentation, but I also don't feel like the modifier materials always make sense.

Redstone and Lapis are the big ones -- one is a dust that propagates signals, and the other is a blue gemstone used as a dye (and more recently, enchantment catalyst) in the Vanilla game.

Lastly, it kind of invalidates the key use of Vanilla experience without providing an alternative outlet for it. I mean sure you still need to enchant armor, but the lack of armor creation is another inexplicable oversight.

>TFC, Railcraft, Immersive Engineering
I understand where these mods are coming from in terms of game progression and balance, but all these mods with more 'realistic' ways to process metals have some serious flaws that piss me off.

Starting with TFC's Bloomery, there's absolutely no reason for the recipe to require any Bronze, nevermind so much of it. This is solely a point of balance, and it's pretty terrible.

The reason Bronze was used to begin with, and wrought/sponge Iron as I'll get to in a moment, was due to a lack of knowledge of how to make something better, not lack of material.

This same mod allows you to make Charcoal and Coal Coke right off the bat with no complaints. Because Steve is just going to intrinsically understand how pyrolysis works, but he's too stupid to make a fucking clay oven. If we want actual progression here, it should be locked behind some sort of research/knowledge system. Especially because Minecraft's physics are much more lenient than the real world, not less.

The same thing goes for blast furnaces, so bringing in Railcraft and IE here too. A blast furnace isn't a huge step up from a bloomery.

I haven't played the game in like 7 years. What do I play now? The regular version or Windows Store one? Windows Store one only good for cross-play?

The PC version is dead, any of the console options are better now.

The Windows Store version, then? It's the same as the consoles I imagine since it cross-plays with Xbone?

Only good version is the Java one because mods.

>A lot of the modded community just plops down machinery in a field with a fence, if even that. We don't know how to build stuff that looks good.
I know that and I don't judge those types of players, but I was refering to the several builders that used to post here but haven't posted in a while. It makes me wonder if almost everyone already left this general...
>Teach us your ways, is it possible to learn this power?
E-eh? I guess I could try to do some tutorials if you all are interested in it. What do you want me to teach you though?
You don't need to leave a space between greentexts or quotes, the bright red/green text works just fine to separate between texts.

It's like the hate Veeky Forums has for FNAF, Undertale, and other super popular games. Veeky Forums was fine with it, and even quite fond of these games, until they became popular.

Buy the java version anyways since it comes with a free copy of the W10 version. So you can play whichever you want anytime.

I already have both, I bought the game a long time ago for like $13 on Notch's web 1.0 site. It's cool how they gave me both versions so many years later though. Just wondering which is better. I never used mods much, but of course what I always played back then was Java because that's all there was. I never really used mods and I plan on playing with a friend when his Switch version allows crossplay, so W10 version sounds better. But does Java still get updated more like Google is telling me?

Both are being updated for now but the Java version is going to be dead in a few years

I haven't been in a Veeky Forums minecraft thread in years and years.

Is there like a dedicated server most use, or is this thread just about everyone doing their own thing?

>Redstone and Lapis are the big ones -- one is a dust that propagates signals, and the other is a blue gemstone used as a dye (and more recently, enchantment catalyst) in the Vanilla game.
See it as giving nearly useless but really accessible ores an important use.
>Lastly, it kind of invalidates the key use of Vanilla experience without providing an alternative outlet for it.
The point of TiCon isn't to rework enchantments and experience but to "fix" the tools so I fail to see why should it also need to rework experience as well
>This same mod allows you to make Charcoal and Coal Coke right off the bat with no complaints. Because Steve is just going to intrinsically understand how pyrolysis works, but he's too stupid to make a fucking clay oven. If we want actual progression here, it should be locked behind some sort of research/knowledge system. Especially because Minecraft's physics are much more lenient than the real world, not less.
>The same thing goes for blast furnaces, so bringing in Railcraft and IE here too. A blast furnace isn't a huge step up from a bloomery.
You are just overthinking it

>is this thread just about everyone doing their own thing
Yes and no. A lot of us in the general play SSP. Others play on servers that crop up every once in a while. Modded Minecraft has a tendency to get cookie clicker-esque where you rush to automate things that automate things, and once you're done and basically in Creative mode, people lose steam. Servers die and, get reset or replaced to start the cycle anew.

The biggest serb right now is Oceanserb. It's got a heavily Thaumcraft-oriented pack, with some tech mods as well.

How do I take basic building principles and extend them into a sprawling creation that looks good and cohesive as a whole?

>The point of TiCon isn't to rework enchantments and experience but to "fix" the tools so I fail to see why should it also need to rework experience as well
I mean, enchantments are things that you apply solely to tools and armour, and enchantments are as far as I know, the only usage of the experience mechanic. Also, every (tool) enchantment has a Tinker's equivalent property, and Tinker's tools can't be enchanted the Vanilla way so ... to pretend fixing tools isn't inherently reworking enchantments (and thus experience) is a bit of a stretch user.

What are you planning to build? A house? A room? And in what style? I don't think I can come with something that vague so if you could give some more details it could help.
>to pretend fixing tools isn't inherently reworking enchantments
He didn't want to rework them that's why he gave a complete alternative and iirc fully enchanted pickaxes can compete with TiCon top tier pickaxes but getting the books or right enchantments to do so is such a pain in the ass and almost mainly to RNG in comparison to going to the nether and mining some ores.

Experience could be spent on this research system while keeping the Tinkers upgrade method but nerfing the shit out of hammers

>try to login to minecraft / mojang account
>invalid password
>Reset password
>Reset successful message
>try to login immediately
>invalid password
>Do this again five times
>too many reset attempts
>try to make a new mojang account
>make new mojang account
>try to login to mojang account
>invalid password

Okay so it's literally impossible for me to play Minecraft even if I try to make a brand new account.

if you fuck up your login your IP gets bant for a temporary amount of time

So logging in once, getting it wrong, then trying to reset my password and successfully resetting it then logging in again to see it still saying it's wrong is enough to get IP banned?

Resetting your password usually works for me but since it didn't for you then just wait for a day or play Offline in MultiMC

Happened to me today, I tried two or three times, then changed the password and it let me in right away.

Is there a model that lets you import models or anything akin to it?

*Mod

ichun has an ingame tool for making models. its kind of okay but also kind of shit?
techne is also a thing.

I prefer blender because I actually have an idea what I'm doing and there's documentation.

you know what's also a good alternative to enchanting rng? enchanting plus

>good
It's more mawpc than tinkers

What are you working on right now? Doesn't have to be a build.

Starting out in Modern Skyblock 2. It's the first pack to actually give my rig a bit of this feeling.

youtube.com/watch?v=CfwTG1EvL2c

Rather interesting considering y'know...
>skyblock

Still working on my island.

youtube.com/watch?v=mawTCv4BvGY
Comfy island

I'm I'm not though I happen to be Islanding as well.

I'll retort with this.
youtube.com/watch?v=uUty7uPX0IU&list=UUpv-IKyVsBJIJRadHjFN3-A&index=20

Forgot screenshot.
I'm little more than some random wood planks right now.
>inb4 "I can't see shit, Captain"

I quoted you by mistake but good luck with your skymeme anyway

Dearest forkanon, I have a few baubles I ask you to fork.

Essentialcraft is a massive piece of shit that I cannot abide by anymore, and thus I ask you to fork some of the rings and amulets
Like 3X exp per block break, double damage in and out, mobs attack each other, etc.

Some of them I do want, like more block and mob drops, but they're coded with the in-mod energy source and other than EXP I cant see any other non Power source for them.

Which is the current meme version with the most mods?

Im finally making an effort to make a 1.1x+ pack.

>mobs attack each other
Botania has this, maybe it would be easier to fork from it

1.10, but mods are more polished on 1.11-1.12

>Trainman's Guide has had a spike in traffic over the last month

Huh... Ok.

Minecraft: Java Edition cannot play with the other versions of the games because it is an entirely different language compared to C++. Well, this guy just broke that notion.

youtube.com/watch?v=gIQm-XxKHQo

We all know the real reason there isn't Java/C++ crossplay is because Microsoft is trying to get everyone onto their walled garden OS in any way possible.

When are mods coming to the console version?

The protocol is entirely different and so is some of the engine behaviour. Such intercompatibility won't be perfect unless the server is adjusted to avoid the differences between the two engines

>console
Sony? Not soon. They refuse to allow Microsoft to move their console versions to the Better Together codebase.
Nintendo? Probably never. With their paranoia on the Switch, they probably won't allow it to avoid exploitation. But I might be surprised.
Microsoft? Who knows? They control both Minecraft and the Xbox.

Why the fuck are you anticipating this? You know you're going to have to pay money to access them anyway.

Sony changed their minds. Those versions will also be updated later.

Trainman's Guide has been updated.

I run my game on a toaster so if I post screenshot people will laugh at the low res image and my builds.

Is that really how it works? The last thing minecraft ever needed was more battle complexity.

>mod adds machines to get more resources
>only use for resources is to build more machines to get more resource

So, I got around to testing traincraft out in VR. Y'all want the good news or the not-so-great news first?

Well either way, the first bit is how it handles your movement. Basically, when you're in a vehicle your head's horizontal location is slaved to the mounting point of that vehicle (visible as the blue dot since I have that option to show my player position on). This can be a little bit disorienting if you try to move your head from side to side, because then it's like you're a fallout 3 NPC and you're wearing the entire world balanced atop your head. No leaning out the side sadly, thanks to how vivecraft handles your location. Vertical movement is fine, which brings me to my next point. I didn't try multiple locomotives, but with this one when i was standing up my viewpoint was a little bit above the roof. When I as sitting on my chair, it was a little bit below the roof. When I was sitting on the ground (after moving my chair because my setup is small so I have to sit far back to get sensor coverage), it was just about perfect for this cab. Be careful about accidentally pressing buttons while you're sitting down or standing up though, especially if you're in creative mode

why would anyone want to play the game like this

As I expected, keybinds were a small issue. Traincraft has like, eight of them, but the really critical ones (accelerate, decelerate, open train inventory) were easy enough to map. I should have tested it in free move mode, that might have let me save a button.

Being able to look around is fun

Snap-rotation still works fine while you're riding. Perhaps the strangest issue is that teleport movement... can't put you onto the rails. Like, it treats it as an invalid block to pop to. So if you have to walk ON your tracks and not just alongside or over them, you'll need to switch to free movement if you weren't already.

In any case, that's ll I went and tested. Worked a lot better than I expected it to, honestly! Will definitely consider it when I make my next pack to play in vr

After spending a few hours just picking out QoL mods, the first half worked (44) and Ill try the second half (59) tomorrow.

Though, Im skeptical if all 1.12 mods are usable in 1.12.2, but the ones in the first half worked just fine.

The neat thing about trying the meme version is all da new mods.
The Bad thing is that it's a meme version and I have to basically redo everything under the sun. From my texturepack changes, to controls setups, to a few hundred lines of Mine/crafttweaker code to fix shenanigans.

Do people really update past 1.7.10 just to do the new mojang content?

Probably.

sp00py

can't see shit

Of how much though?

Show basic housing

>thread is dead during school hours

1.10.2 is alright

Are you forgetting about new mods?