Explain Calvinism

Explain Calvinism.

Only thing I know is that they have drab aesthetics and they dislike happiness.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/AominOrg/videos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

stop poping out this board you arminian scum

nah In all seriosity it's really interesting.

Calvinism presents itself as the most radical, and pure of the reformed faiths and places almost full focus on faith, predestination and the word of god. It basically places maximum focus on scripture, preaching and the word and in so doing was historically one of the most militant, and anti-papal protestant force.

calvinism is associated with drab aesthetics because of the calvinist perspective on churches, which are ultimately just a room of some kind where people congregate. there is no sense of mysticism as in Anglican-Arminianism and none of the shit that Catholics do. But calvinism in many ways promoted worldliness hence the resurgence of secular painting in the Dutch Republic which possessed the official conscience of the reformed church. But on the other hand puritans who are an even more extreme eschatological version of calvinism were less aesthetically minded as they detested distraction from god in all forms including mince pies and acting.Nonetheless Calvinists did enjoy life; as it was primarily a religion of sturdy-burgher types (excluding the usual pyramid of labourers etc.) and as a result aspects of bourgeoise undulence from feasting to great country estates were common both in the protestant calvinist republic & Commonwealth/Protectorate.

Sorry that got unwieldy
dank u wel

>they dislike happiness.
Sort of along this lines, I'm wonder if modern Reformed churches actually teach some of their beliefs accurately. I've known a few Presbyterians, and every time I've talked to them about religion, I get the impression that they don't actually understand how their church views things, particularly salvation and predestination. They've always said things like "grace is available to everyone, you just need to ask" and "we believe there's goodness in everyone if they ask for God's help in reaching it," among other things which basically contradict Calvinism.

It makes me wonder if modern Calvinist churches deliberately avoid telling people about some of their beliefs because they know how ugly they sound and don't want to turn people off.

Nigger nothing is more beutifal than a plain stone cathedral

People are predestinated to go to hell or go to heaven. You can't know where you're going to go (your contact with God is permanent), so you better work your fucking ass off and be succesful in this life to at the very least make the odds for the latter.

>Not watching the most based Calvinist's discussions to answer such questions
Repent.
youtube.com/user/AominOrg/videos

>they dislike happiness.
Based.

Not all Presbyterian are calvinists. The defining characteristic of the Presbyterian denomination is the way in which their churches are governed, i.e. by a board of elders rather than an executive pastor.

The main thing i remember about Presbyterianism is that it's functionally a decentralized democratic system, giving each individual church a lot of control over their service and understanding of the faith. I mean a lot of us follow some similar ideas and we technically all belong to the general assembly but as far as i can tell we pretty much call our own shots.

Anglicans are the best 2bh

Calvinism - If you're gonna makes us believe in all this Christ autistry we're gonna be real good at it.

Greatest modern Calvinist Presbyterian and defender of the faith

Im an ulster Presbyterian nbtw

Mfw im reformed

Some dank reformed memes

done

Does he have any good videos on East Orthodoxy?

These memes were predestined to make me kek.

The Institutes is probably some of the purest social theology (read: relevan theology) out there

>James White
>based
Presuppositionalists are lame. It is worst when he cannot even present scholarship accurately or have to desperately make up his own translation of the Church Fathers contra what academic scholarship on the subject has produced. But perhaps it is even more pathetic that his whole philosophy essentially boils down to "the bible is true, because it says so" which is the essence of pressuppositionalism given how such a system is an attack on reason to begin with. But hey, that system enables one to truly uphold Sola Scriptura as one simply points to the Bible's plain text(because this is what the Reformers Sola Scriptura is, that you read the plain text and understand it if you are enlightened by the Holy Spirit). After all, even White himself denies one to use reason to demonstrate the historicity or divine authorship of the Bible.

The best Calvinist who accurately shows us the history of Calvinism is Richard M Muller.

On Calvinism

Calvinism's teaching on predestination entails a fatalistic worldview in some sense. Commentators like Muller or the Cambridge Companion to Calvin makes clear that Calvinistic predestinarianism is not fatalistic. If they mean that we are in control of all our actions so long as they do not pertain to Salvation, they are right. But if they mean that ALL actions are in our control, they are wrong because Calvinistic predestination makes clear that election is not even based on what God foresees you do or any merit on your part. It is he essentially making you turn to him and that is what makes such a teaching fatalistic, because the ultimate fate that matter is not in control of human actions, but of God himself who picks and chooses at his whim. No matter how hard Muller tries to make it seem that Predestination is not what everyone thought it is, he ends up saying that it is as they say, just with the caveat that humans retain libertarian free will in other matters outside and unrelated to Salvation.

Calvinism also brought about the next phase in disenchantment if one follows Weber. He did not see Luther as the one who does it, but Calvinism. This brings out what he call the Protestant Work Ethic. But even this is authoritarian in nature. For in order to be saved, you need money. You are not to donate or do charity. Money goes in the business. This ethic also arises out of Salvific fear since nobody knows if they are chosen by God, so wealth becomes a sign that one is blessed. What is intriguing is that to Weber the Calvinistic mentality is one that makes you serve your neighbor not because you love him but because you are glorifying God, creating de-personalized relationships as a result. It is also of no surprise that this is another step towards the future he dreaded which he describes as an iron cage of bureaucracy in which the individual is reduced to nothing more than a cog in a machine.