Etrian Odyssey General

>Everything EO (References, Music, Art Books, etc.)
pastebin.com/cdfQmt11

>EOV
atlus.com/etrian5/
sq-atlus.jp/sq5/

>EMD2
sq-atlus.jp/sfd2/

EOV releases October 17th for NA, November 3rd for EU.

Previous Thread:

NINE DAYS

Would it be a bad idea to start EO3 at this point, instead of just waiting for EO5?
I've never been able to join the new game hype train for EO before.

>8.jpg
You are sending mixed messages, user.

Why would it be a bad idea? Keep your mapmaking skills polished for the new installment.

well EO3 is great but I did same thing with 3 back when 4 came out and am just now playing 4 cause after I finished 3 I wasnt as pumped to play it as I expected for whatever reason, i even played the demo of 4 a ton and killed kangaroos and everything

After I finish 4 I plan to start 5 demo and then get 5 and go at it so history might repeat itself but I guess we'll see

also I dunno if you can finish 3 in the time you have before 5 if thats a concern to you, 3 also kinda uniquely has some real replay value where you might end up wanting to new game+ immediately

Is cartography really something you need to practice for?
Is it that difficult to paint under doors?

>Is it that difficult to paint under doors?
Don't start this user.

EOV gets kind of repetitive
Unless you have imagination.

Nene is shit

yeah, because that's a problem unique to EOV.

Nenè is benè

Well in IV or III it wasn't a problem, but V just doesn't have anything else other then the dungeon.

Do you eventually get to sell/store food items? Just from the demo alone, I'm packed with food and ingredients that I can't gather anymore. Do I just have to toss things for the rest of the game?

Well there's like 0 story in V

Food is just a supplement for exploring, to regain hp/tp

But with a healer, I never need to use it. Well, at least not for HP recovery. I try to use food as much as possible but I still just restock my supply faster than my party eats.

>He's actually doing a NS sub Sniper
Not a good idea.
>Star Drop + Quick Step
Just sub your Medic as Landy and use Vanguard.

>pick up EO2 where I left off
>6th floor
Oh boy. All I remember before I stopped playing was that there were FOEs that didn't show up on your map and some that spawned behind you. Hope my mediocre party can smash through this floor.
Taking a long break from this game was a terrible idea.

I disagree, I'm at my third playthrough, the variety comes from all the race/class combinations you can try in your party

That's actually something that helps replayability

Oh i didnt make it clear, I have both a sniper and a nightseeker

my actual, full party is Dancer Nightseeker Sniper and a backline Arcanist, nobody has a subclass yet though im pretty much 100% sold on bushi for the nightseeker after testing it

so if i did want to use star drop my only access would be through the arcanist's sub

this user gets it.
EOV feels like a return to Etrian Odysseys roots, or even dungeon crawls in general. What more do you need in a dungeon exploring game other than a dungeon

>Dancer/Nightseeker/Sniper // Arcanist
Who is your fifth?

I only have 4

d-did you lose a party member along the way?
I'm sorry for your loss user

No i just only have three friends

I'll be your friend!

>can't rename party members in eo1
That sucks.

>tfw you run into the one thing seemingly designed to counter you

eov leak when

A few more days.

>Redhorn
>If I don't bind his head he stomps me
>If I do bind his head he heals 5K and buffs himself
>Need to rely on my force breaks to manage to bring one down
>Game wants me to kill more than one without going back to the city
Now this is bullshit

Picnic that shit.

dont do it user its shameful

I want to see more shameful Arianna.

Arianna is not for sexual.

Arianna only for appreciation from a distance

for what purpose

No one knows, it's EOII.
Landknecht overperformed in EO so they got shitall in II.

To be fair the swords level 7 is alot more useful in terms of investment for other stuff then 10 into cleaver as it puts you closer to nice passives and stuff

that said both skills are like totally useless so eh

what do you guys think of an ailment/bind/chain killer party of chain killer fencer, bind pugilist, deathbringer reaper, dog rover and smoke botanist?
is the damage sustainable if bosses gain resistance to binds and ailments over time or will I just get murdered when they become resistant? also since I'd probably change the botanist to a celestrian I'd have no potato for the damage negating union skills, is that an issue? not really big on reclassing the rover because I want that dog portrait

This is official art. Arianna is definitely for sexual.
So is Chloe

You have to be smart about when to land the different aliments in order to keep the enemy locked down. That said, I'd replace the fencer with a earthlain 1kat or cannon dragoon to land sleep for death reap (lots of FOEs are not immune to instadeath) and debuffs to feed smoke bomb, and generally add survivability to your party in case aliments and binds don't land

Chloe is for guro

I thought half the damage in that party would come from the chain killer procs

Does anyone know how Random Disease in EOU2 works in regards to what ailment it inflicts? I'm mostly asking because I don't care what it inflicts, but if it'll miss almost all the time against something that resists all but one ailment like the Ur-Child or Artelinde then I'm not going to want to bother putting points into it.

>Is the damage sustainable?
No, because Chain Killer is not for sustained damage. It's for one HUGE turn of damage. Your want to be triggering Chain Killer three or more times on the turn when you actually go for it. You might be able to eked out six or so Chain Killer hits in total, but really you're preparing one huge turn of Head/Arm/Leg Bind, one Status Ailment, and hopefully a Stun to top it all off. Collectively, that gives you 4,000% damage before taking buffs and debuffs into account. With Overexertion, Target Arrow and Chain Plus, you're looking at well over 10,000% damage in one turn from just the Fencer, and that's without taking Chain Double or any other damage increasing passives into account.

You may be able to eke out two turns of it, by applying different status effects (Sleep is a good candidate).

Chloe is for meat.

Is there a way to tell or figure out what ailments work on what enemies? It's tempting to just cap one so it has the best chance of landing but it seems like a bad idea to just assume every enemy can be paralyzed, or whichever you choose.

All Iknow is that it misses a ton of times even though WM LUC is not that bad.

EO2U onwards tells you in their reference page.
Before that there is only datamined stuff on gamefaqs (if any).

Most of the time you can assume one kind of ailment will always work except for EOU2. There are immunities in prior games (For example, the Heavenbringer can't be arm bound and his arms can't be head or leg bound) but for the most part everything will work on everything.

Sure, you can do insane amounts of damage with that, but if your aliments/binds miss, you are fucked. Dragoon and 1kat would add ways to mitigate damage, do damage to enemies you cannot reliably ail and still sinergize with the other members

Is that leech or whatever an event only monster or just a higher floor monster? It seems like i'll have to restart so i can probably fight it this time

Upper floor monster

Proposed Chain Killer comp:
Front Row:
>Therian Chain Fencer / Earthlain Bind Pugilist / Earthlain 1Kat
Back Row:
>Earthlain Harbinger of undecided specialization / Celestrian Botanist

The plan:
>Turn 1) Mitigate incoming damage with Tri-Shield, apply Overexertion to Fencer, apply Shriveling Miasma, apply Armour Pierce, cast Chain Plus, ??? with Botanist
>Turn 2) Cast Black Mist, cast Chain Killer, use One-Two Punch (or Clinch, if it can proc multiple Chains), use Haze Slash, use status ailment ability from the Harbinger that I haven't decided on, and finally use some kind of Smoke skill from the Botanist
>Turn 3) Hope the enemy is dead. If it isn't, use Chain Killer + some other status moves + Leading Blow???

Is there a way for me to get more out of my Harbinger and Botanist?

Waaaaaait, why don't I run a Necromancer for Tombstone Vice? 160% Petrification chance, and Petrification is the best status effect I can apply for Chain Killer.

This would mean that I need Tombstone Vice to be used before any other status effect, which might mean that I drop the Masurao and instead use a team comp of
>Fencer/Pugi/Harbinger
>Necro/Rover

Petrfied enemies take half physical damage.

Oooooooooooooooooooh. I thought they took 150%.

It's the trade-off for being completely unable to act, kinda.

Your harbinger can either cast the attack down debuff or use frigid reap, on the first turn your botanist should probably just defend. Status inflicting abilities on harbinger are kind meglio because they need miasma to inflict them

*kinda meh

You can still use smoke bomb for full damage as long as you keep debuffing the enemy

>smug
>loli
>blonde
>twintails

I-I play Etrian Odysseys for t-the gameplay...!

Teach is better

Teach is old and busted
And old

Let there be cake.

I'm having trouble getting into the mood for EOV. The other EO games each have a clear theme for their setting, a feel, an air. It was easy to come up with a matching theme and motivation for my guilds—what kind of lands they would come from, and what they came to find in the game's location.
EOV does not, at least not immediately (i.e. precluding spoilers); it's more of a broad, generic fantasy setting with some Roman names, so I struggle to think of a theme for my guild or a reason why I'd want to explore this labyrinth.

I tried the demo a bit but the 1st stratum doesn't set much of a mood either.

said no one ever

I think I'm actually going to ditch the Botanist for a Rover, since the Hound has GIGANTIC luck and can use Target Arrow on Turn 1, then Stun Shot on Turn 2.

It has mood of frustration, because what the fuck is up with those water squares?

The theme used to be latin.
But then localization fucked it all up.

Stop being autistic about maps, you can't make a proper map until pastgame anyway

Theme this time around seems to be union - the special skill category is even called union skills.

A vibe from the days of the Roman empire seems to be what they are going for.
Just like Rome's influence in its glory days spanned from Britain to Egypt to Persia and the city itself became a melting pot so also Iorsys seems to not really be where all the races gather to work towards a big dream.

Of course this was not always without strife - Ramus 3rd floor dialogue talks about a war that took place in the labyrinth.

So Iorsys is a place with history, a place of power; quite literally the center of the world and a city with unlimited possibilities.

Or it's just like Etria but with bunny girls and slightly more lore about the world around it.

Iorys does a poor job representing that kind of scale and importance, then. I know it's mentioned in-game that it's the capital of a continent-spanning empire, but it looks more like a slightly larger mediæval city.

You do have a point though: a lot of the classes look more like seasoned, uniformed fighters or finely-dressed nobles—more professional than the more ragtag look of most EO classes. Perhaps they have all undergone standardised formal training or service somewhere in the Empire (except for the chuunis and necrololis, I guess).

Maybe a guild whose members served together in the imperial legions (the only way members of such diverse races from far-flung places would have gotten to know each other, without being merchants) and want to bolster their praemia with whatever riches may be found in Yggdrasil? 'bit flimsy for a theme, but better than nothing.

>there's 0 story in my dungeon crawler
THANK GOD. I was fucking tired of this new wave of muh dungeon crawlers with fucking shit story.

Me too, user. Dungeon crawlers should be free of things that stop you from actually crawling dungeon. It's why I like Etrian Odyssey's minimalist towns, short combat animations and minimal story.

>mfw I've been sitting here for days wondering what classes to use in EOV based on synergy, how the characters look and how they look together as a team
Was it ever this bad for you anons?

Yes, although I finally decided on a team about a week ago.
In the meantime I've still made like three new characters on the same team with the same setup, just to change their portraits or race.

That's why I did it immediately when the portraits were shown in Famitsu last year.
Then moreso after the datamine.

I just use whoever looks the cutest. Composition only comes into it a little bit. Synergy doesn't come into it at all.

I choose when I play the game and keep whoever gives me the least game overs :/

I've been theorizing my characters since the dressup simulator came out last summer. My guild has 13 members.

I'm still not 100% sure about what my final party will be.

I've already made 3 different parties in the demo, starting a new game after reaching the stairs to 4F.
I don't know if I'll even make it to the first stratum boss in the full game, I never had this much stuff I wanted to try in any previous EO.

>spoiling yourself before release
I haven't even played the demo yet

The demo left a lot of info out. So most of the classes feel like they are shit.

Rare

Is a:
Chain Fencer/4Kat Dumb Bunny/Barrage Pug
Omni Warlock/Herald Shaman party
Doable?

>no form of damage mitigation
>not even a dodge fencer
Do you enjoy dying, user?
I don't think even a full lockdown from a Barrage Pugilist will be enough to keep your bunny alive.

if they're all females, then yes, very doable.

you're gonna get raped if your binds fail
the bunny is gonna die to the smallest breeze and you have no good way of resurrecting anybody
that's more of a boss killer party than one for anything else really

How does Gun Revenge interact with Buster Cannon?
Does Gun Revenge power up whichever attack is used next, or only moves on the same/next turn?

Gun Revenge keeps stacking up until you use a gun move, then it resets. There's an ongoing counter in the place where it normally shows things like Miasma Armor duration, Reserve Magic, etc

What exactly does the MeiQ in the Japanese title mean? I've seen it used in other dungeon crawling games out of Japan.

>Do you enjoy dying, user?
Really makes you feel on the edge, doesn't it?

You know it bro.

Well I say 4kat, but I guess I actually meaned Blade Dancer with only 2-3 kats and not rely on the memeing the sanzu.

But yeah I get it, guess I'll switch pug for a spirit broker and go the fierce shield route.