Why was the closest that the USA almost went into civil war before and after 1860-1865?

Why was the closest that the USA almost went into civil war before and after 1860-1865?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FakLUusNlXc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Corn_Rebellion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_County_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_hot_summer_of_1967
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_assassination_riots
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because slavery was never intended to a bad thing. But it turned into a bad thing and human nature took over. Not all slavery was cruel and forced.

Nullification Crisis. Jackson almost led an army himself against South Carolina over taxes.

Absolutely nothing to do with the asked question.

Interesting, never heard of it. Any more details?

I just wanted a You and pics to save

The US has actually been an exceptionally stable country for most of its history.

>Before
Probably the Adams/Jefferson split. There was a lot of electoral violence when Adams was elected.

>After
You're living in it bucko.

True but, things were very turbulent during the coal strikes of the late 1800s, the panic of 1907, and after the depression especially the Bonus Army.

Too true man, too true

>before
Multiple instances could have evolved into a civil war

See:
Whisky Rebellion
Shay's Rebellion
Nullification Crisis
Toledo War
Bleeding Kansas
Adams/Jefferson Split

>after
Great Depression
2016 Election (a civil war is possible my dudes)

>2016 Election (a civil war is possible my dudes)
if trump wins a few race riots may pop off which BLM has been agitating for anyway
if hillary wins a few Hicks may go on a shooting spree

I think too many people are treating this election as if it's the end of the world.

According to reuters Comey came out because the NY office of the FBI was known to have an anti-clinton clique. Sounds p alarming desu, the factionalization of the bureacracy

>anti-clinton clique
I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than a clique. The FBI don't get their opinions from one news source or another, they can see stuff as it is. I'd imagine that anybody who doesn't directly benefit from Clinton's corruption wants her gone.

And the people who dislike Trump just think he's mean. The people who dislike Clinton think that she shouldn't even be allowed to be walking free after the shit she's done. How can a president get anything done when a solid 10% of the country wants to see them hanged?

>And the people who dislike Trump just think he's mean.
are you delusional

It's all I ever hear. Occasionally something about economics comes up but nobody cares about that, this election is all about meme-warfare. The Trump memes are all about pussy-grabbing and spic-removal while the Clinton memes are about WW3 and corruption in Washington.

>kek

serious question do you really think today is more turbulent than the late sixties?

it's true. most people who dislike trump are more concerned with social issues than political/economic ones.

true patricians understand hillary is better for the united states. I still voted for trump because fun.

>Not all slavery was forced
But that's the definition of slavery.

Per American education.

Not him but as things stand the left progressives were by and large outnumbered by the right traditionalists in the 60's

Now both sides are about equal in numbers, and or the right, the ones who are more likely to own guns, feel like they're being marginalized.

bitch please, i didnt ask to be brought here to america. my ancestors were forcefully taken from their homeland. slavery is terrible. nobody should have to experience it.

not an argument

>true patricians understand hillary is better for the united states
She is better for absolutely nobody, except DC traitors and illegals seeking amnesty

Social unrest does not equate with a civil war. The US has gone through periods of remarkable social unrest without ever approaching the level of a civil war.

Example:

The Great Depression: Unemployment is 25%. No civil war. No threat of government being overthrown.

Civil Rights Era: Country is divided over issues of race and segregation was well as widespread opposition to the Vietnam war. No civil war. No threat of government being overthrown.

I said the united states, not it's citizens. lrn2readingcomprehension.

I didn't say civil war, but something's got to give if things keep up this way. Now that a presidential candidate has made highlighting corruption the key to his campaign it'll be hard to drop the issue.

This is literally every presidential race. Nothing but one party attacking the other and vice versa. You must be 18.

Doesn't it seem like a very valid concern at the moment that so much corruption could pile up that the Democratic party could be destroyed, at least for a little while? If absolutely everything Clinton's done somehow gets out in the open I don't see any way for them to save face.

The western world almost had a complete collapse in 1968

I genuinely think /pol/ wouldnt be able to handle 1968 thats how crazy it was.

To be fair to other user, I had to reread your question multiple times before I got it. Phrased in a confusing manner.

youtube.com/watch?v=FakLUusNlXc

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Corn_Rebellion

Whichever party loses this election is basically going to destroyed for the next 20 years. This is the highest stakes election of all time.

If the Democrats lose, they will be forced to watch as Trump undoes everything they've worked on the past 8 years.

If the Republicans lose, then that means they will have lost three national elections in a row.

And on a personal level, Hillary has been getting groomed for the Presidency most of her life at this point. If she doesn't get it, then her entire reason for existing is denied.

If Trump loses, he becomes the guy who destroyed the Republican party forever. We all know at this point that his businesses are failing, so it really is all or nothing for him at this point.

The stakes on both a personal and national level are super high.

You call that a civil war? That's fucking nothing.

>his businesses are failing
billionaires can lose a billion dollars and be fine, I'm pretty sure I just read that The Zucc lost something like 3 recently. I heard that Trump's backup plan if this doesn't work out is a tv station, that sounds like a cool idea.

And I read an interesting article on The National Review that said a Republican loss here would actually be good for the party. Of course those guys are all die-hard Cruz-Missiles so maybe they were just asshurt but their arguments were convincing.

god damn it hillary is corrupt cunt evil old hag but trump is a retard coasting on his reality TV career wtf America wtf

>i didnt ask to be brought here to america
So are you not from America or are you one of those people who makes people say "We" when referring to crimes of others.

>d-don't mess with Texas

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_County_War

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_hot_summer_of_1967

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_assassination_riots

>Losing three national elections in a row would be a great thing for our political party.

Out of the last 6 presidential elections, the GOP has one the popular vote in only one.

After 12 years of Democrat shittery the Republicans would have something clear to point at and say 'look how fucked things got,' at which point the National Review can send in their golden-boy Ted Cruz armed with all of the delegates that were rightfully his all along to steamroll the demshitters and usher in a new golden-age of conservatism.

I don't really buy it either but it was a nicely written piece. I'd find it if The National Review didn't start getting real shitty with their ads to try and force people to subscribe. I'm not even American, I'm just a fan of Armond White.

it has more to do with the fact that Obama went out of his way to appoint far more republicans into senior civil service positions than any democrat (or vice versa with republicans) since. In many instances it worked fine, like with Ashton Carter, but in other instances it backfired tremendously like with Comey.

Hence why they have to win this election or they are done. They have to prove that they are still a viable party capable of winning elections.

What he was trying to say is that people who dislike Trump just think he's (dare I say it) deplorable, but people who dislike clinton think she should be in prison.

>hillary
Spelled Gary wrong

After Clinton lost to Obama in the 2008 primary she spent the next 8 years raising money for this campaign while screaming I'M NEXT I'M NEXT I'M NEXT I'M NEXT to the point where she convinced the entire democratic party that going against her would be suicide since she had such a large war chest. And its telling that her opponent was someone who wasn't even really a democrat. Lost in this however was that the democrats never really took a moment to reflect on the possibility that Hillary Clinton may be unelectable.

As for the republicans, Trump is a fucking joke to be sure but look at what his opposition was. It does seem that the greatest lie the bushes ever told was that jeb was supposed to be the smart one. And Cruz is even crazier than Trump and he's actually smart which is pretty fucking frightening.

Trump is the worst possible person that the GOP could have nominated.

Clinton is the worst possible person that the democrats could have nominated.

This is an election between the worst of the worst on both ends.

It's kind of funny how hard Clinton is fumbling this. She's been groomed so hard and has the support of so many key players that virtually any other politician in her position would be looking at a landslide right now. The fact that this is so tight is restoring some of my hope in humanity. You can only kill, steal and lie so much before even the most normal of normalfaggots start to smell shit.

I think people get too hysterical about Trump's anti migrant to realize he was the perfect answer to the neocons dominating the Republican party.

At least that's what I believed before he released his tax plan and chose Pence as a running mate.

this right here is bullshit and you know it, she's no more corrupt than any other career politician

Her real problem is that she's not a very moving speaker, she can't even communicate genuine enthusiasm on her part. Additionally she's spent her whole life trying to do what was the most self serving thing at the time, such as her vote to authorize the Iraq war, and making the oh so inspiring decision to finally support gay marriage in 2013, just 9 years after the first state legalized it.

North lobbied for a massive tariff on foreign imports to protect their industry.
The agrarian south imported most of their shit from Europe because it was cheaper, but the "tariff of abominations" made their shit much more expensive.
South Carolina claimed they could nullify federal law and had the right to secede over it.
Jackson had none of this and had congress pass a bill authorizing military action against south carolina should it be needed. In addition to lowering the tariff this got south carolina to stop fucking around with nullification and seccession.
Jackson summed up the ordeal very well: "the tariff was only the pretext, and disunion and southern confederacy the real object. The next pretext will be the negro, or slavery question."

I still don't fully believe that Donald Trump is:

1. Running for President
2. Is the nominee for a major party
3. Actually has a reasonable chance at winning

If you had told me this a year ago I would have been very skeptical. It has a surreal quality to it that makes it hard to believe it is actually happening.

South Carolina got uppity and tried to secede. But when nobody else joined with them and congress authorized war they backed down.

Unfortunately the next time was a bit different.

he's made it his life's mission to stamp his name on as much shit as humanly possible, now he's just trying to stamp it on US history.

They can't, demographics aren't trending their way. Trump is down by like 37 percent according to internal polls.
>She can't win

Don't assume everyone is a middle class male like you son. I don't assume everyone is like me.

Pretty sure the British used America as a dumping ground for convicts before the revolution. Lots of Americans can trace their lineage to people brought here against their will, and they're not all black. Are you a slave? No? Then stop acting like you are, or ever were. It belittles your ancestors that really went through it.

I like how the gooks put on headbands like they are some bad commies in a 1980's American film

>true patricians understand hillary is better for the united states. I still voted for trump because fun.

The Veeky Forums effect in a nutshell.

>that people who dislike Trump just think he's (dare I say it) deplorable,

But that's more than "mean." Trump is stupid, hilariously dishonest, and mentally unstable, in addition to just being an asshole. The Clinton campaign has probably suffered by focusing on Trump's personal unlikability, when they should be focusing on the fact he has no realistic platform and his claims to competence are demonstrably ludicrous.

>The western world almost had a complete collapse in 1968
Popular misconception due to media overhype and the regular mythologizing of the Vietnam Era. Much of the incidents during '68, at least in the U.S., were extremely isolated incidents. Even the larger ones, like the DNC and the King riots, were isolated to small segments of the American population. The reality is that the protest movements, especially the violence ones, didn't even make up a quarter of the U.S. population, even if popular sentiment was in their favor. The only country you can really claim was on the brink of [colapse] in '68 was France.

There was the time when Wall Street and Monopoly businessmen tried to bribe a few generals to depose Teddy Roosevelt but that's more of an attempted coup than a civil war.

dumb hippies couldn't fight their way out of a rehab clinic