Who were the picts?

who were the picts?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dál_Riata
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

British Gauls, right?

Faggots from the looks of it.

French Germans

Get out here before I smack you on the nose with a rolled up newspaper gremlin.

Brythonic Celts

They got cucked by the Scots

>these replies
This is some kind of /b/ or /v/ tier board.

Spanish Mongols

They were badasses that fucked in public and didn't afraid of anything

Finngolian Mexicans, m i rite ?

danish lesbians

Descendants of ancient Finns

It's spelled /int/, like cunt but with an 'i'.

That's like saying Aztecs got cucked by Mexicans. "Scots" as a concept, much less a 'unified' people, didn't exist until relatively modern times.

Veeky Forums had a short golden age of actual intelligent troll-and-meme-free discussion until /pol/ and other barbarians showed up. Such is the way of the world... Trying to maintain standards in a horde of plebs is tough.

Remember when the mods imposed the high standards listed in the board description? Neither do I.

Barbarians? Are those like french swedes?

No, the King of the Scots, Kenneth McAlpin, invited the Pictish leaders to a meeting to discuss the ongoing problem of Norse raiders. When they got there, he had them all murdered and usurped the Pictish throne.

Frankly, no. I frequent a couple other boards that aren't full of memey shitposting (Veeky Forums is worse, but still light compared to of course /b/ or /pol/), but even there mods don't seem to do shit. I can only assume their legions are filled with barbarian ranks, too. The end is surely nigh.

Original inhabitants of Scotland, they lived in the North-East and raided other tribes like everyone else
Became a pest to the Romans, as did the Irish on the West coast (Scotland is named after an Irish clan iirc)
They were not particularly good sailors or cavalrymen, mostly fighting on foot with minimal armour, and very little cohesion
A reportedly tall people, they we're used as mercenaries by other factions like their neighbours in the west

Merged with the Irish Gaels sometime after Roman contact to form the Kingdom of Alba
They spoke their own language, now extinct, of which i know nothing about
Adopted Christianity, not much else to tell about them
They don't exist in Scotland anymore really, the two main cultures there now are Loyalist British Scots and Nationalist Gaelic Scots.

You're still putting the cart before the horse with an overly-broad asynchronistic definition of 'Scots'. There was no such people called 'the Scots' until the various smaller tribal groups present in what is today 'Scotland' slowly coagulated (willingly or not) into a more-or-less single kingdom in the first place. I.e. that of Alba, and only later renamed 'Scots'. Picts were a component part of this milieu, basically the last holdouts outside the burgeoning 'Scots' ethnic/political umbrella, as they were on the north-eastern fringes. Yer man Ken there didn't conquer anyone, he was just another king/lord who himself had inherited (matrilineally) a last Pictish kingdom.

Picts, Gaels and Britons were separate tribal federations of closely-related Celtic groups. It is our (ultimately Roman-based) naming conventions that confuses the matter and imagines them as somehow much more separate people than they actually were. They likely did not view themselves as very different from their Celtic neighbours, but instead as merely autonomous.

Along with Angles (maybe a few Saxons), they were all the original 'Scots'. A heap of Norse and a dash of other insular (Irish/Manx) Celts were lated added to the soup.

Besides all that, 'Scots' when used alone is typically used to refer to a distinctly ANGLO-SAXON ethno-linguistic group of Scottish people. Scots Gaelic would avoid confusion if you're talking about the unravelled thread.

>They spoke their own language, now extinct, of which i know nothing about

No one really does. They had no writing as far as we know and all that survived of their language was a few names of people and places.

>They spoke their own language, now extinct, of which i know nothing about
When does a dialect become its own language? They almost certainly spoke a Gaelic language, closely related to that of their neighbours. Breton/Welsh/Cornish further south was more divergent, but still partially intelligible.

>most likely spoke a Gaelic language
Unlikely, Gaelic was an Irish language, they're own language was most likely closer to the other Celtic languages of Britain

The Irish Gaelic (linguistic cousins) called them 'Qritani', which would be the Q-Celtic version of the P-Celtic 'Pritani'. Guess where Britain got its name from.

>"Scots" as a concept, much less a 'unified' people, didn't exist

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dál_Riata

>Original inhabitants of Scotland

extremely unlikely

They we're big guys

English ppl??

You are wrong. I mean it's not like this information is hard to find... The Picts were most certainly a Gaelic people, as everyone else around them (in northern half of Great Britain) was too.

Gaelic (more linguistically-properly called 'Goidelic') is just one *branch* of the Celtic family, not a language itself (albeit the word is used that way as a short form, which is maybe why you're confused). Brythonic is the other branch, which includes Welsh and Cornish (and other extinct dialects). There were also continental branches, but they died out thousands of years ago. Bretagne in France is actually a re-colonization of the mainland from insular Brythonic peoples.

Anyway, Gaelic and Brythonic are/were closely related, much like Spanish or Portuguese or Russian and Ukrainian. There would have been a degree of mutual intelligibility. For the "Picts" and their other close neighbours, they would have understood each other well enough. If you're from Seattle, you can still largely understand a thick Appalachian or Texas English accent.

>implying dialects are the same as accents
Wew
In any case, the language of Scotland today (aside from English) is a dialect of Irish Gaelic. This is because of the Irish colonisation of the west coast. Gaelic did not exist in Britain otherwise as far as i know.
But if you can link any other tribes natives to Britain, which spoke a dialect of Gaelic independent of Ireland, then I will concede

>The Picts were most certainly a Gaelic people, as everyone else around them (in northern half of Great Britain) was too.
do you have anything to back that up?

A rose by any other name would still be as sweet.

Obviously the name came from somewhere, but "Scots" was not a thing as we understand the term today until the 15th century or so. Transfering the term back to centuries before it's time is ridiculous. This is Veeky Forums for chrissake, have some appreciation for proper eras.

Celts are Indo-Europeans, with an 'urheimat' in basically the Austrian Alps (and the surrounding plains running northeast). They exploded and spread everywhere in Europe (and some to the near east) during the Iron Age, including into the British Isles. They are not indigenous to the British Isles, and absorbed/replaced the original inhabitants (i.e. Stone Henge building cultures, etc)

>The Picts were most certainly a Gaelic people, as everyone else around them (in northern half of Great Britain) was too.

No, just no. The Picts were certainly P-Celtic speakers, as was literally everyone in Britain before the arrival of the Scots.

>Gaelic and Brythonic are/were closely related, much like Spanish or Portuguese or Russian and Ukrainian.

You are completely fucking retarded. The similarity would be more like Baltic and Russian, P and Q celtic are not at all mutually intelligible.

probably Brythonic Celts like the other inhabitants of Great Britain, but we cant know for sure since they had no writing.

They did have writing, but it's untranslated. The few words we have of Pictish are unambiguously P-Celtic.

source?
if they're P-Celtic, than that all but settles it, they're brothers to the Welsh, Cornish, Britons, and the like.

>implying I implied that
I did a couple years of linguistics before switching majors, so nigga please.

I think there's confusion about what eras we might be talking about. Without a time machine, we'll never really know.

> P and Q celtic are not at all mutually intelligible.
Prove it. Even modern Irish Gaelic or Welsh, which have had several more centuries to drift, you can see some of the connections. They are different languages to be sure, which is what I said, but not as far divergent as you seem to imagine. "Not at all" intelligible for perhaps some dirt farmer's wife, but anyone sailing around with enough contact on either side of the Irish Sea would have been able to pick out words and phrases to start with.

What's this thing I heard about a language called "Iron Speech" spoken in Ireland?

If it's not intelligible to an Irish farmer who's spoken Irish, and only Irish, his entire life then it's not intelligible
Welsh and Irish are very different languages

I can "pick out" some words and phrases from German and Latin, but i cannot speak either language at all, because they're not mutually intelligible

Most likely an extinct dialect

Cormac's Glossary, from the 9th century, makes brief reference to it and a couple of Irish words stemming from it and that's about all we know about it.

>Prove it.

Saint Columba needed an interpreter to preach to the Picts, despite being a native Irishman.

it was a North Germanic language that took in the Kingdom of the Isles from the Norsemen.

Never had much folks speaking it to begin with, so it didn't have much a chance of staying.

For you

Was getting walled part of your plan?

pretty much

Another race of sheepfuckers who got their ass beat by a race of skirt-wearing sheepfuckers.

They're all rapists

>I think there's confusion about what eras we might be talking about.
How is it even possible to be confused about this? I'm not saying that you're wrong about their language if you have anything to prove it, but if you're talking about the time after Dal Riada had culturally, politically and linguistically annexed them, you're not talking about picts.

Some of them are good people.

Sheep fuckers who eventually evolved into clover monkeys and bagpipe niggers.

A bunch of Guy Fieris.

Ancient punks?

bump.

All wrong.

Picts were Scots that inhabited the mainlands and spoke gaelic.

They were NOT Brythonic Celts, nor where they 'British Gauls'.

>spoke gaelic

Why do all the words of attestably Pictish origin follow the P-Celtic pattern, then? For eg the placename element pet-, found across the Pictish region and cognate with Irish cett- and Welsh pet-

What's with his hair?

He's about to put on a bowling shirt and cram a double cheesburger into his face and call it the best ever, while the cooking staff look on awkwardly.

Celts were more based than I thought

celts were atlantic, that was their uhrmeit

Bleached with lime (the alkali not the fruit)

>everybody here claiming the Picts were P-celtic
>always thought they were Q-celts
>turns out the book I read on this subject was over 100 years old
rip sir Oman, you crazy racist gentleman.

Celtic historical anthropology moves at the speed of light, my man. There's a lot of stuff I learned in during my history degree 5 or 6 years ago that is now considered baloney.

No. Just open a fucking book to find out how wrong you are. Celts were central Europeans. Their Urheimat was in the Austrian Alps and Danube valley (in between proto-Germans and proto-Italics, among others). Before and during the bronze age (in two major waves), they spread into the British Isles, among other places. Over time, they absorbed and replaced earlier stone age inhabitants of the British Isles.

Of course, as Indo-European peoples, depending how autistic and far back you want to consider, even the Austrian Alps are not their origins. But it is where they developed into what we consider distinctly Celt.

we've been here before