How the fuck did people get married by 20 one to two generations ago...

How the fuck did people get married by 20 one to two generations ago? Today it seems like so many people are staying single permanently or getting involved later and later. I know towns of people in my town who are in their 30s and still single. Decent ones too, like in shape, good jobs, not ugly. They don't even sleep around.

Why was getting a relationship so much easier back in the day? Legitimately curious

People back in the day had adequate social skills.

Because it was relatively easier to make a living back then.
Men working in shoe factories could probably support a small family.

Feminism wasn't much of a thing either. Women weren't spending their 20s whoring or trying to become career women before hitting the wall at 30 and looking for a rich cucky to settle down with.

>Why was getting a relationship so much easier back in the day?
Generally, people lived in smaller communities (even in cities, which had more insular neighborhoods), so peoples' social lives were more interconnected. So when it was time to date, you basically knew all of your options and went through them.

Expectations for relationships were all lower. If you found someone you could stand being around, marriage was basically encouraged, especially in environments where premarital sex or cohabitation were discouraged. So you had a lot of people get married not necessarily because they were in love, but because it was the next logical step for the relationship according to social pressure and what they wanted to do.

In reality, you see similar things today among certain religious communities. Mormons probably being the best example, but also certain communities of American Evangelicals.

men could get a job that would support wife and baby. had potential for promotion and raises as your family grew.

things were cheaper, housing, medical, college, etc.

women didn't go to college that much. if they got a job at all. It was just until they got married. they were expected to get married.

20 is a bit old. My great grandma got married at 11. My grandma 16 and mom 18. You can still get married at 13 in the United States.

I'm 28 and my wife is 17. Essentially, one slave morality has been replaced with another.

>Generally, people lived in smaller communities (even in cities, which had more insular neighborhoods)

People live far closer to each other today than ever in history.

Because in the early 20th century, a high school diploma could get you a middle class job.

The spread of higher education is the worst thing that's ever happened to the world.

I may have misinterpreted your post though. "Communities" means multiple things.

Nonetheless, your argument doesn't make much sense.

Yeah "closer" is having 1500 e-friends

Higher social pressure and better economic situation

The only reason I'm getting married next june rather than 5 years ago is that I've started working now rather than straight out of high school.
In the past it was far more viable to make a decent living without staying in education well into your 20s.

Social pressure encouraged women to marry soon after finishing high school, especially in rural America. Diet and lifestyle also aged women somewhat more quickly. A 30 year old woman today looks more youthful than a 30 year old in the 1940s.

Out-of-wedlock pregnancy was also really common. There's a huge change your grandma who got married at 18 was knocked up by her boyfriend and married him to avoid being a whore.

>I'm 28 and my wife is 17

women were far easier to approach and were essentially forced to get married
men didn't have to compete with proles and women for a lving

no antibiotics, poor contraceptives, endemic corruption, lack of security, people were pushed together

statistically healthier babies

I really hate my generation for being so goddamn lazy when it comes to procreation.

Most of it has to do with the smaller communities and limited technology which forced people to go outside to socialize. Conservatism helped too.
Today we have the Internet and postmodernism.

They didn't

At least not outside of the US as far as I know. I can check the registers and the average age of marriage is something like 26 for men.

All those 'social pressure' retards itt.
In the past, when you fucked a girl and got her pregnant, you simply married her. Today you fuck wherever you want without consequences.

My demographics professor said that the average parent now has their first child at age 32.

Who ready for a mass increase of autistic low-test future nu-males.

The main reasons are far more effective contraception, women's equal access to education and workplace, and "no fault divorce" (a.k.a. ass rape).

So both men and women have incentives now NOT to get married.

Everyone had a job since their teens back then.

Less women in the work force = more men in the work force = less male unemployment and more housewives.

procreation is inherently immoral, no one ever consented to being created

I checked my families record into the 16th century and as far as I can see the guys usually had their first kid between 26 and 31

haha le surprised black man xdddddd
>consent determines morality
Fuck off atheist
>the GUYS

>outside of the US
I dont know where are you from, but I live in europe with a pretty wide family circle and most of the people I know (including my parents, grandparents and grand-grandparents) married in their 20s or sooner.

Third post Best post
/Thread

>parents are 50
>STILL haven't married anyone
What do, Veeky Forums? I'm starting to worry about them.

>People live far closer to each other today than ever in history.
and yet we're more isolated as individuals than ever.

Easier to support a family. Due to Globalization, mass immigration and feminism. Wages have gone down while the cost of living has gone up

They didn't consent to not be created either.

You're already here so why complain?

Im talking about women here m8.

Really though? Like it or hate it Facebook can really help keep you in touch with distant friends..

Are you saying people who were introverted were more willing to be outgoing in a conservative America?