What caused the trading card market to crash?

What caused the trading card market to crash?

People grew out of adolescence.

But they were replenished by another generation of adolescents.

The trading card market crashed?

It didn't, I know a guy that sold a fucking pokemon card last week for 3k

Yes, late 90's early 00s

At that point, the trading card market was basically Wizards of the Coast (they had both Pokemon and MTG at that time.) So when they made a number of strategic errors they ended up losing a large fraction of their original player base.

>he doesn't own a Rare Pepe card or Pepecash
It's only just beginning, user

Has it? I used to work with a guy who made hundreds a month selling Yugioh cards. Maybe people just play the games online now, cheaper and easier.

Derivatives?

Its actually pretty good right now

Unless youre just flipping/making arbitrage then yes your margins are absolute garbage but then you add 0 value to the market

It is fairly healthy right now. Magic is great as always. Pokemon is on a huge upswing, yugioh is dyinh slowly snd various minor games like fow are shitting the bed like they always do.
Source - i am part owner of a chain of retail game stores specalizing in tcgs

should I invest in paper pauper staples??

I think cards like Oubliette and Chainer's Edict are gonna hit absurd levels in paper if wizards starts acknowledging pauper

How do you ccg stores make money, does Friday night draft really cover the rent?

Not him, but stores usually have more sources of income than just draft or even just mtg. The store I go to runs events for various games every night (with an entry fee), sells board games, models, and various accessories, sells singles online and in-store, and has an in-store cafe.

this

Is the intense level of concentrated autism worth the money?

I dunno, I try to stay away from the worst of the worst, but I've seen some shit... and that's coming from someone who posts on Veeky Forums.

Well now you have to greentext us some stories.

That plays the digital version

>not starting a blockchain based trading card game and eliminate printing costs while retaining forced rarity and allowing autists on one coast to trade with autists on another
Its like you want to cook meth for a living.

Jesus, I don't even know where to start. I saw one dude come in who must weigh 400+ pounds. He was wearing some anime t-shirt with a black leather trench coat and sunglasses (it was night time). A guy next to me couldn't help but whisper out the words "fat neo" and he was totally right.

Thats not bad, but why don't you give us one that made you pic related? Or just the worst incident you've seen?

FoW is money cow if you actually play and know which cards and sets are good. Plus dem uber rares.

Pokemon is a bubble and everyone knows it. They are printing wayyyyy too much. Amohket is garbage tier and already deeply discounted. Something tells me you want people to buy everything but the cash cow. Don't blame you. Most of them will listen since FoW took a huge hit after the MoA snafu.

If you want to dump your RoDE, RoMP, LL, or Vingolf All Stars for wholesale price I'll buy off the books.

What kind of sperg trades cards of Japanese cartoons? I'm shocked that this is a thing. When I was into cards, it was all sports.

Wow Dad, you sure was tough back in the day!