Who are the top 3 most influential modern historians

in your opinion?

in what sections of history? If we're talking roman history from 200BCE-Fall it'd be M. Beard

Despite being born after it, Andrew roberts was the pre-eminent ww2 historian

Jared Diamond
John Green
Elijah Muhammad

i hear that andrew roberts is quite the hawkish conservative....

but is he really that good of a historian?

the only answer, even if alot of what he said is outdated

modern historiography begins with Gibbon

>Jared Diamond

don't make me laugh....the dude is a fraud

no one takes Guns, Germs and Steel serious anymore, it was all the rage back in the 90s and then when people started reading it, they realized it truly is shit, and is now relegated to meme status

His contemporary views are rather conservative, but he's been impactful since the 1990s nevertheless

yes, we know that, but OPs asking for historians still alive and driving the current academic community

Gibbons had a great life, he doesn't need even more lauding

well one can interpret modern as contemporary/living

but others can just interpreted as "since the beginning of modernity"

so its not quite clear what OP meant

Well, it obviously depends on what field you are talking, but if you mean overall, it would be the ones who had the most influence on historiography.

So definitely Leopold von Ranke, who pioneered the professionalization of history based on the study of primary sources, and promoted the postivist ideal of uncovering objective historical facts.

Then someone from the Annales school, who were the founders of social history, quantitative history, and focus on the longue duree. Marc Bloch or Fernand Braudel are the best picks.

Not sure about the third. Given that for long periods in the 20th century Marxist historiography was huge, an argument can be made for Karl Marx. E. H. Carr was also pretty influential. I'd like to pick someone to represent the "cultural turn", but I can't think of any single representative figure.

Lindybeige
Sargon of Akkad
John Green

That would certainly explain why it's still mandatory reading in pretty much every world history class.

>American education

>mandatory reading in pretty much every world history class
everything anti-white and west-critical is mandatory reading retard, doesn't mean it's true

>no one takes guns, germs, and steel seriously anymore
I never said the book's correct, just that a substantial group of people still take it seriously.

I live in the US and none of my classes were anti white or west. Hell we barely covered other regions in the world.

>Everything that isn't 88 hail hitler /pol/ is antiwhite

source: your ass

He doesn't need a source for that, you Veeky Forumstrionic. That is clearly structured as an opinion.

Ian Kershaw for anything relating to Nazi Germany and Hitler.

Also, Hitler was a jew.

kek no it's not